Let's start a song list

Started by aaronjnoone, December 05, 2007, 02:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello everyone.

I need to get a new working list in order and I am welcoming ALL suggestions. I already have around 100 or so memorized from many genres old and new, but I want to get into the classics and standards. Jazz, fingerstyle, folk, R&B, straight rock, everything. To give you a hint where this is headed, I'm currently working on the following songs:

My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder
Mexico - James Taylor
Drown in my own tears - Ray Charles

But I will accept any song you like or know or could foresee learning or would want to learn, or would like to hear someone play on acoustic.

I am looking forward to anything and everything you all can add to the list. THANKS!  :thumb

-Aaron

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.

40 views and not one reply?  Hmmm.  Could it be because we're all afraid of being shot?  Your Sig Pic really Blows me Away!  (Just kidding Aaron!)

Here's one of my favoite Jazz tune for your list: Take Five - and I'd love to hear the arrangement you come up with!
Classic rock for accoustic: I think it would be awesome if you could pull off any ZZ Top hit, like Cheap Sunglasses, for example.  That would rock!

Good luck, Aaron!
David

dBerch's response to the dreaded request: I got yer free Bird right here, buddy!
Luckily it was a friend of mine.  Used to be anyway :)
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Respectfully submitted for your consideration

R&B / Soul.......................Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay  (Otis Redding)
                                      Try A Little Tenderness  (Otis Redding)
                                      Georgia   (Ray Charles)

Lite Rock / Folk................Margaritaville  (Jimmy Buffet)
                                    Take It Easy  (Jackson Brown)
                                     These Days    (Jackson Brown)
                                      Just Like A Woman  (Dylan)
                                      Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat  (Dylan)
                                     Mr. Tambourine Man  (Dylan)
                                     From A Buick 6  (Dylan)
                                     We've Got Tonite  (Bob Seeger)
                                       Old Time Rock N Roll  (Bob Seeger)
                                       Have You Ever Seen The Rain (Credence)
                                        Catch The Wind  (Donovan)
                                       Pancho & Lefty  (Townes VanZant)
                                      Greensboro Woman (Townes VanZant)
                                       Tear Stained Eye  (Son Volt)
                                       Brown Eyed Girl  (Van Morrison)
                                      Tupelo Honey (Van Morrison)

Quote40 views and not one reply?  Hmmm.  Could it be because we're all afraid of being shot?

LOL, could be.... But seriously, no one will be shot for their suggestion.

Thanks for the songs guys, there's a few in there I've been meaning to learn.

Acoustically, Eagles, CSNY, Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver to name just a few artists that have a whole slew of songs you could learn.

I'm on a DADGAD 12 string celtic fingerstyle kick right now, so I don't know if any of the songs I am working on might go over well for your audience  :roll

There's always "FREEBIRD"

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

Noob ALERT!

Hey Aaron,
I'm a big fan of a guy named Michael Smith, whose music would probably take you WAY too much time to research (the only way I've purchased his CDs is through his web site, via mail - no radio play here..).  He is such a terrific song writer, and he wrote a song called 'The Dutchman', that I think you might find interesting - I think if you do a search on YouTube, you can hear a couple real good renditions - especially among a couple finger-pickers (I play a flat pick version, as well as a slower tempo finger picked one)..  See if you like it.

There are several Steve Goodman songs I love to play:
- California Promises (covered by Jackson Brown)
- Everyone's folk favorite  :bgrin: - City of New Orleans (faster tempo version, like he used to play it)
- Banana Republics (also covered by Jimmy Buffet, mentioned above)

I also love to play acoustic versions of a couple Neil Young songs - Mr. Soul, and ..Rockin' in the Free World.  I'm a sucker for those minor chords, and there are so many different things you can add..

Anyway, just a few suggestions!
Take care,
Scope

As requested, don't shoot the messenger...

Jimmy Buffet - Volcano, Pencil Thin Mustache, Magaritaville, Why Don't We Get Drunk
Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama
Queen - Crazy Thing Called Love
Springsteen - Glory Days
Dr. Hook - Cover of the Rolling Stone
Eagles - Take It Easy
Garth Brooks - Friends In Low Places, Two Pina Coladas
John Fogerty - Centerfield
John Mellencamp - Crumbin' Down, Pink Houses,
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

.....and who doesn't love a well executed Beatles song... :bgrin: :nana_guitar :bgrin:

Bluesman, I like your suggestion for 'cover of the rolling stone'. I haven't heard that song in ages.

You know, even though I play a few Beatles songs, I always cringe when I hear a Beatles cover on TV commercials. I think people try too hard to make the song different. I've heard some really good covers of them, and some really bad ones.

I would seriously recommend NOT doing Cover of the Rolling Stone. It's a clever little novelty song, but it is now lyrically and musically tedious, specially the chorus.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: LaminateBoy on December 07, 2007, 09:49:52 AM
I would seriously recommend NOT doing Cover of the Rolling Stone. It's a clever little novelty song, but it is now lyrically and musically tedious, specially the chorus.

You have a good point, but it is a fun song and I'll bet aaronjnoone can bring it into the 21st Century with his own style and make it work.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

standards....  How about,

All of Me,
Georgia,
Stardust,
Round Midnight,
Well You Needn't,
You'd Be so Nice to come home to.

Quote from: tubeornot2b on December 10, 2007, 06:12:07 PM
standards....  How about,

All of Me,
Georgia,
Stardust,
Round Midnight,
Well You Needn't,
You'd Be so Nice to come home to.

there you go. Thank you. More? Actually I'm going to get a 'realbook' but I don't know exactly which one yet.

Check out eBAy. I recently bought a package that had electronic copies of multiple real/fake books for about $10-$12. I just checked and found someone offering 40 real books on CD for $11.85. They come in PDF format. Tons cheaper than buying har copies at $25 a pop.

I agree that there are great classics to learn from. Tony Rice has an awesome version of Georgia on My Mind on his "Intimate" DVD that will teach you more about harmony, extended chords and internal movement than just about anything accessible to guitar players. This post was much longer but was lost when my sign-on timed out. ...Not worth rewriting. Check out older Bert Jansch or James Taylor as well. Harder than it sounds.
Larrivee - P10BZ
Larrivee PV09
Larrivee OMV60
McPherson 5.0 Adirondack/RW
Martin - 000-40S #22, 1972 D35
and a "few" others

Quote from: StratRat on December 11, 2007, 08:09:32 PM
I agree that there are great classics to learn from. Tony Rice has an awesome version of Georgia on My Mind on his "Intimate" DVD that will teach you more about harmony, extended chords and internal movement than just about anything accessible to guitar players. This post was much longer but was lost when my sign-on timed out. ...Not worth rewriting. Check out older Bert Jansch or James Taylor as well. Harder than it sounds.

Not really looking to learn chords, what I'm actually looking for is ideas for songs to learn for this cruise ship gig I've got coming up. I would imagine that I need to learn some classics and standards, aside from my main stuff which is rooted more in contemporary rock. It's going to be just me, no band. So I need to make sure I can keep people happy with some older stuff.

OK, then you're looking for Margaritaville stuff. The parrothead tunes always generate tips. Cheeseburger in Paradise, Margaritaville etc. your typical Key West Fair... Seminole Wind works well for the country crowd...Have you noticed the name Jimmy Buffet keeps coming up?
Larrivee - P10BZ
Larrivee PV09
Larrivee OMV60
McPherson 5.0 Adirondack/RW
Martin - 000-40S #22, 1972 D35
and a "few" others

I would think you would be better off sticking with standards. Here is a lionk to a very good list....   http://www.geocities.com/scoguitar/standard.htm
Some examples of the list:
Autumn Leaves
Summertime
In a Sentimental Mood
Caravan
Speak Low
Sposin
Moon River

Throw in some Jobim tunes:
Corcovado
Girl from Ipanema (done to death sure, but for good reason)
Dindi
Wave
One Note Samba
Passarim

Quote from: tubeornot2b on December 13, 2007, 01:08:28 PM
I would think you would be better off sticking with standards. Here is a lionk to a very good list....   http://www.geocities.com/scoguitar/standard.htm
Some examples of the list:
Autumn Leaves
Summertime
In a Sentimental Mood
Caravan
Speak Low
Sposin
Moon River

Throw in some Jobim tunes:
Corcovado
Girl from Ipanema (done to death sure, but for good reason)
Dindi
Wave
One Note Samba
Passarim

You are the bomb. Girl from Ipanema would be sweet for my Boomerang pedal. Sweet.

Nobody has mentioned these. Yea , these are for an older crowd but the older stuff is usually the best.  It all depends on your
target audience.

Dont get around much anymore - Duke Ellington
Aint she sweet
Misty
Alice's restaurant - I love rags and this one is a rag standard.

Go on the net and download a program called Powertab.  There are lots of songs that have been transcribed and used along
with this program.  Better than using a book.  No lyrics just the chords and melodies. Think of tab with sound.  Good luck.   

Mark