What’s the deal with upgrading to Bone?

Started by Gregg E, December 04, 2007, 05:35:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi All,

I've seen pieces of this information on different threads but I've never quite pulled it together.  I've been playing guitar for over 40 years and I've never once considered changing out the stock saddle and bridge pins (usually plastic/tusq) that came with my guitars. It seems to be the thing to do on this forum, especially with Larrivees.  So...what's the difference?  Is it tone?  Is it sustain?  Is it subtle?  Is it dramatic?  Is it wood related, i.e. is it more dramatic with a Spruce/Mahogany combo or Spruce/Rosewood combo or vice-versa?  Is it size related, i.e. is it more dramatic on a dreadnought than it would be on an OM or parlor?  Is it even brand related; is the effect more dramatic on a more 'woody' sounding Larrivee than it would be on my more 'shimmery' sounding Taylor 514CE?  Have I just opened a can o worms?  :laughin:
"Music is too important to be left to professionals."

It's not size or maker related.
It's a subtle change. It might make your tone a little clearer. Not exactly brighter, just clearer.
I think it is worth it.
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee satin Parlor

I don't know about the density of the plastic saddles, but the idea is that if the saddle is harder, it won't absorb as much of the string vibration. Thus more of the energy is transfered to the soundboard. Other than that, shear energy transfer, it will shape what is transferred to top as well as the bridge. It's the link to soundboard, so it WILL have affect. On banjo which I just picked up a year ago, I found out what a drastic affect bridge has on it's sound. It's not suttle at all. Friend pulled out some bridges he had and gave me one and the instrument sounded much better. But the very drastic difference is a banjo thing.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

QuoteIt's a subtle change. It might make your tone a little clearer. Not exactly brighter, just clearer.

:+1:

I've pulled the Tusq and put a bone saddle with new strings and then put the Tusq back on, and I always hear that difference.
BTW, I have own a couple of guitars where the Tusq actually sounded better than the bone.
Ruben

Quote from: flatlander on December 04, 2007, 08:55:30 AM
I don't know about the density of the plastic saddles, but the idea is that if the saddle is harder, it won't absorb as much of the string vibration. Thus more of the energy is transfered to the soundboard. Other than that, shear energy transfer, it will shape what is transferred to top as well as the bridge. It's the link to soundboard, so it WILL have affect. On banjo which I just picked up a year ago, I found out what a drastic affect bridge has on it's sound. It's not suttle at all. Friend pulled out some bridges he had and gave me one and the instrument sounded much better. But the very drastic difference is a banjo thing.

:humour:
I have heard the best bridge for a banjo is the "Golden Gate", they make a cool splash when they hit the water and the swift current washes away all traces.

Actually, thank goodness we have banjo players, we need someone to laugh at.
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes

It's something easy to experiment with and completly reversable just like strings and picks. Changing one properly fitted saddle for another is not going to transform an instrument's voice. I believe that a properly fitted saddle and pins are the most important thing. The improvement, or lack of, can vary a lot on any given instrument. Tusq is a lot better material than the plastic stuff found on cheap guitars. Bone saddles can vary quite a bit in density. Good dense bone is cheap and works fine for me. I've also used some Tusq with good results.

High-end guitars come with a bone nut and saddle.  All Larrivees except the 03 series has them as well.  It's a better material for transfering sound/vibrations to the sound board that will give you better sustain and volume.  The difference is subtle but noticable to change out the saddle.  The nut isn't worth changing out unless it's worn, then put in bone.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

It depends on the guitar. I replaced the plastic saddle on an Alvarez with a bone saddle. It made the guitar a bit too bright. The plastic saddle was more mellow. It complimented the natural tone of the guitar better.
I used to be "edman" here......

For me it has more to do with wanting to really dress out my guitar that I love.  Would I do it if it didn't change the sound one bit?  Yes!  I don't do it to every guitar either.......just certain ones that hold a special place in my heart.  That's how I describe it..........just window dressing and better quality that I want to round out my already amazing guitar.
Larrivee D-03 MT (2005)  "Dixie"
Larrivee Mahogany Parlor-01 (unbound 2000)  "Mabelle"

Interesting mix of opinions.  (Aren't there always on this forum?)  :laughin:  I may have to check out Bob Colosi's site that everyone here likes.  Thanks to all who weighed in.

Gregg
"Music is too important to be left to professionals."

Well I think that the only guitars that are complimented by plastic saddles are ones you don't really like the tone of.
Plastic conceals odd overtones, dead spots etc.
Great guitars like Larrivees deserve to sing unhindered :guitar

Yes Tusq is not just like any plastic.
Yes Colosi is great.
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee satin Parlor

Quote from: Hudman on December 05, 2007, 02:37:22 PM
It depends on the guitar. I replaced the plastic saddle on an Alvarez with a bone saddle. It made the guitar a bit too bright. The plastic saddle was more mellow. It complimented the natural tone of the guitar better.
I have tusq on my cedar top and I haven't changed it for the same reason.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Quote from: PortHueneme on December 04, 2007, 04:54:17 PM
I have heard the best bridge for a banjo is the "Golden Gate", they make a cool splash when they hit the water and the swift current washes away all traces.

Actually, thank goodness we have banjo players, we need someone to laugh at.

I hear ya. Since I learned it half-axx I play it one day a week. I'll practice that day and play in a bluegrass jam that night. 1 day a week works good.  Brother in law says Satin has banjo band. It's enough to keep him straight. If I could play as well as my friend though, nobody would be laughing.
Back on the saddle thing, I think I agree with gouzos to some degree. A softer bridge will filter and shape
sound more than softer material. But on the other hand if that was all there was to it, then makers could put metal ot other very hard material in saddles and most everybody would think they were too bright. So again there may be no black and white.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

I have upgraded from Bone to Fossilized Walrus Ivory on two of my guitars. OM-03 and Martin HD-28. I purchased the pieces of FWI while on a trip to Alaska. I then cut the pieces down and sanded and filed until I got a saddle. This stuff is really hard and it has made a difference in the sound which I like. I also like bone and I like to tinker with my own saddles.