Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "best" strings for rosewood larry's??? suggestions.......  (Read 1288 times)
imrickjames20

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »

Im currently on a quest to find the perfect strings for my little om60, i'm putting a new set on and playing the heck out of em to get past the "new string" sound. Then, after i get to their "true sound", i record a little diddie, and move on to the next strings.  So, for those of you with rosewood larrys, what's your favorite string to use? Any and all suggestions will be tried.

Larrivee OM60
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 10:43:06 AM »

for years I used D'Addarios EJ16s on all my guitars. Recently I tried Martin SPs. First I tried the lights. They are too light for me and I was breaking the G strings. I almost never broke strings in the past. But I loved the sound of these Martin SPs. So I tried the Mediums. Same greaty sound. And they don't break.
imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:58:15 PM »

I think only you can answer that one based on the love and hate for same brand and model on same guitar. That said I'll post my observations from a similar guitar.

If you want tradition and spares and an elemental purchase get some Mapes - they make the wire most other string makers use and they give you 3 spares in each set.

If you like a flexy feeling try DR where the round core Sunbeam and Rares both have a more loose feel and nice tone. If you bu DR I suggest you buy buy the diameter and not the package label. This is especially important if you have low action and have been using stiffer strings.

FWIW: My OMV is probably not too unlike your guitar and so far I've used phos bronze D'Addario the most with DR second. Their high strings ring more than the plated Martin strings. I've also tried brass on the guitar and found it interesting that others thought it did not sound as good with brass as it did with more copper and I thought it was just a brief window as they started to wear where they sounded best.
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 04:30:22 PM »

Ej19's ... 12->56 for a clear defined bass, and singing trebles, no buzzes set at 2/32 -> 3/32, and easy to play.

love em on my OM19

d.;

jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 04:50:08 PM »

for years I used D'Addarios EJ16s on all my guitars. Recently I tried Martin SPs. First I tried the lights. They are too light for me and I was breaking the G strings. I almost never broke strings in the past. But I loved the sound of these Martin SPs. So I tried the Mediums. Same greaty sound. And they don't break.

You know they make Light/mediums that are actually between lights and mediums, right?
MSP-4150 Light/Medium .0125 .0165 .0255 .0335 .0435 .055

Back to the original question... My current string philosophy is -
D'adarrio EJ-16's for a more modern sound or Martin SP Phos. Bronze (kinda modern sounding to me).
Martin SP 80/20 or Schoenberg 80/20 for a more traditional sound. (Martin's excel at flatpicking and Schoenberg's at finger picking.)

I tend to gravitate towards 80/20's on rosewood guitars.

imrickjames20

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 11:24:38 PM »

much appreciated fellow forumites!  I'm on my way to the old GC to stock up on some new strings. and the quest for the holy grail continues.....

Larrivee OM60
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 05:52:53 AM »

Newtone MasterClass 12-54

or

D'Addarios EJ16

Both sound great

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
Sober

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 07:50:00 AM »

Martin MSP-4100...you can see them on the guitar of the month 
Fingertwister

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 09:57:46 AM »

My preferred gauge being 11 - 50, choice is somewhat restricted for me, but after a long period using Newtones (nice tone, but can be buzzy), I've now settled on Pearce, ('slightly light' 11 - 50) - I use Pearce mediums on my resos, too, they are a very high-quality, good sounding string; dearer than D'addarios, but a lot better (IMO)..
Tony Burns

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 12:33:08 PM »

Try Dadarrio EXP's Custom lights - when i put these suckers on my OMv60 it became a tone monster .
Bltprf502

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 09:53:56 PM »

DR Rare Med/light are awesome on my LV-03RE.

A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 10:01:28 PM »

Call me crazy but I like Elixir Nano PB's on my OM-03R. I have D'Addorio EXP EJ-16's on it right now though and they're pretty crisp for a coated string. I kinda like it but am still feeling them out.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
dannyOsbourne

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:27:07 PM »

I've always used Martin SP Lights, but recently switched to Elixir NanoWeb light. I found that it was a little too slippery for the first few days, but after that it plays like a dream!! I'm now going to use Elixir NanoWeb from now on my L-03RE. Hope this helps

2007 L-03RE
2003 Yamaha F-310
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: