Any one use a K&K Pure Western Mini?

Started by bamacrazy, December 02, 2007, 03:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any one use a K&K Pure Western Mini in a L03R? I have one in my Seagull and could not be more happy with it.
Seagull M6 Gloss
Larrivee 2005 P-09
Larrivee 2007 L-03R

I put one in an OM-50TSB and a BT-60 baritone a few months ago and I'm very pleased. Pretty easy to do, esp. in Larrivees as the two-piece tail pin is already in a 1/2 inch bore, so no drilling or reaming required.
I use them to play in a very large hospital lobby and a small coffeehouse.

The mini is my favorite - great results with my D-03R

Got one in both my L-03 and Martin 000-15S (actually installed this one myself).  I use them both with a K&K Pure Preamp and they sound about as nice as any pickup I've ever heard or tried.  Very warm, very natural but adding the preamp made it much nicere than the pick up all on it's own.

Yep, K&K mini is the pickup for me.  I have them in three different guitars. And the cool thing is - they SOUND like three different guitars! Each one sounds like itself, not like whatever pickup happens to be installed.

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

I have the Trinity System in my 000-60 and I have the PW Mini in a little maple 00 I have. I have to say if I did it over I would just skip the Trinity and stick with the straight PW Mini. It sounds fantastic and doesn't feedback super readily and as Dennis said the addition of the Pure Preamp is well worth the cash. In fact I have my dred string-less at the moment and when I get around to it I am installing' a PW Mini in it. The installation is really simple if you are at all handy.

Quote from: GA-ME on December 03, 2007, 12:32:52 PM
The installation is really simple if you are at all handy.

The 000-15S was my first install of one of these and now, I could do it with any guitar

Thanks for the help. I have heard that rosewood could be tricky to amplify, so I thought I would ask.

BTW, any hints for a trouble free self install?
Seagull M6 Gloss
Larrivee 2005 P-09
Larrivee 2007 L-03R

Quote from: bamacrazy on December 03, 2007, 02:10:57 PM

Just follow the instructions that come with the pickup. And be sure to do a dry run like they suggest so that the procedure becomes familiar to you.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Quote from: bamacrazy on December 03, 2007, 02:10:57 PM
Thanks for the help. I have heard that rosewood could be tricky to amplify, so I thought I would ask.

There is an easier way to install the K+K that has been tried by many forumites here including myself.  K+K instructions (as of about 10 months ago) had you installing the discs one-by-one.  Initially, you had to place these by feel, but now they recommend using a jig.

www.frettech.com method uses a jig to install all three at once.  That was the method I used to install in my L-03.  In my opinion, it's a more trouble-free method for installation than the method included with the K+K.  Others here on the forum seem to agree.

Regarding rosewood compatibility with the K+K:  Your bridgeplate vibration is going to be not that much different than a mahogany bodied L-03, so there really won't be an issue there.  The K+K is not a mic, it's a surface vibration transducer.

I put up some photos of my K+K installation that you might want to check out.  Cover the top with cellophane was a key step I learned from the frettech.com installations instructions.

Here's his link:
http://www.frettech.com/kk/index.html

and also check out the other link in this forum on installation.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=18221.msg162894#msg162894

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 04, 2007, 09:53:47 AM
There is an easier way to install the K+K that has been tried by many forumites here including myself.  K+K instructions (as of about 10 months ago) had you installing the discs one-by-one.  Initially, you had to place these by feel, but now they recommend using a jig.

www.frettech.com method uses a jig to install all three at once.  That was the method I used to install in my L-03.  In my opinion, it's a more trouble-free method for installation than the method included with the K+K.  Others here on the forum seem to agree.

Regarding rosewood compatibility with the K+K:  Your bridgeplate vibration is going to be not that much different than a mahogany bodied L-03, so there really won't be an issue there.  The K+K is not a mic, it's a surface vibration transducer.

I put up some photos of my K+K installation that you might want to check out.  Cover the top with cellophane was a key step I learned from the frettech.com installations instructions.

Here's his link:
http://www.frettech.com/kk/index.html

and also check out the other link in this forum on installation.
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=18221.msg162894#msg162894

-Scott

I installed the K&K this past summer and the included instructions were for installation with the jig.
I just looked at the frettech site and you're right it does do three at a time, but it is essentially the same technique and jig.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster