Why do Martins sound so much better?

Started by jimmyd, November 29, 2007, 05:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Either because they have 100+ more years of practice and/or people are familiar and like the tone based on time and market share.

I love my Larrivee and the one I had prior but will admit that my 00-18V and D-28 would be the last to go with the 00-18 being down right amazing. In all fairness they also cost more even used. I think 00-18s have also been made for all but a few of 109 years so there's a case of a highly refined design that works and others either have to be the same or vary a bit.

I would say my OMV has the most pleasant tone with bare fingers and my wife likes the Larrivee tone more.

No matter what I love the brand and the two I've had now.

Wow...  I'm glad I read this thread.  I thought it was about MARTIANS.  I was wondering when they invaded and how I missed it.

I had a Martin once. Sold it.  Bought a Larrivee hog top and got an AER Compact 60 with the spare change. Five years later I'm still using both.  :nanadance
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Their strings are allright.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Hmm, I thought Taylors were the best.  :winkin:

Happy Holidays

Ted
http://www.laguitarsales.com
Ted

www.laguitarsales.com

Authorized dealer for: Larrivee - Blackbird - Breedlove - Cordoba - Eastman - Guild - Journey - Martin - Rainsong - Ramirez -  Santa Cruz - Taylor

I have a Martian I taught him to mow the lawn and wash dishes.

Whoops!

I sold my last Martin a couple of weeks ago to buy a Blueridge.
The Dude abides.

I agree with a few of the points thus far:

1. Martins do not represent good value/are largely overpriced, but there are some overperfomers such as the 000-15S and 000-16SGT (My Favorite Guitars has a signature one).

(Or is it that Larrivees are woefully UNDERPRICED for their quality and pleasure they bring us?)

2. You have to play a lot of Martin dogs before you find a star.

3. The fact that they use headstock "wings" on even some of the higher end models really downgrades their credibility IMHO.

However, when you do find a good one at a fair price, they are BONE SHUDDERINGLY GOOD. I recently got a good EBay deal on a 1930 Martin 2-17 model  (12" wide all hog parlor with slotted headstock and 1 3/4" nut, v-neck) and none of my previous 3 Larris can hold a candle to it, I'm afraid. You might retort by saying "But your Martin has had 77 years to open up." That is not the case with mine though, because it's barely been played. The quality of wood not seen anymore, light scalloped bracing and feel of the neck make for one amazing guitar. These are serious undervalued in the vintage market and often go for the price of a 05 series or 03 if you're really lucky like me. Most will need a bit of work, but man is it worth it. If you're a fan of small guitars, you need to take a look at these, folks.

However I have to admit that my first unbound hog/sitka parlor (that I never should have sold) was of unequalled quality for the price and I will be getting another one soon, I hope...

FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

I've tried and tried to like the Martin sound but, no cigar.
I've also tried to like the newer Gibson and again no luck.
Is it an acquired taste? I guess to each his own...If like what you buy, that is all that matters!

And the band played on... :nana_guitar  :nanadance  :nana_guitar  :nanadance
Ruben

Comparing my L-03R to my Martin D16M, I can (subjectively) say that the Larrivee sounds better - cleaner, more "refined". The Martin is (subjectively) more fun to play. It's hard to explain - it's a muddier sound than the Larry, but with mucho mojo. Very different guitars, but each excels at different styles of music. I like 'em both.

Stubby just made a very good point " Very different guitars, but each excels at different styles of music " . Alot of people like the Martin sound and I do as well . Not to say I don't like the Larrivee sound , but think about it . When many of us where growing up , what guitars did we hear ? China wasn't making guitars , Japan had just got into it and wasn't so widely accepted yet and Larrivee and many of todays good builders wheren't even around yet . There was Gibson , Washburn and of corse Martin . and Martin had made a big name for themselves , so they where the popular guitar . So alot of us grew up with that fairly distinctive Martin sound as being THE sound of an acoustic guitar . So that sound can invok some feeling or memories , the way YOUR mother's Xmas stuffing smelled different to your best friends mother's . These things can stir some deep rooted feeling , so that " Martin " sound could be a little of that . Not to mention that in truth , they DO sound good . As do Larrivees and Taylors and Collings and Goodalls and many other fine builders out there . Fortunately for all of us , I don't think Larrivee or Taylor or Martin or Gibson or many of the others are going to stop production any time soon , so we are lucky to life in a time when we can try many brands till we fine the one that has the sound WE like personally .

just my thoughts  :wave

Quote from: bogie on November 30, 2007, 01:10:23 PM
3. The fact that they use headstock "wings" on even some of the higher end models really downgrades their credibility IMHO.

Just the opposite for me. Yes, mine are pre-wing and I can look at one piece of wood but I have a lot of respect for a move that saves a resource and helps keep a company competitive if the product is still good and I've played great winged Martins. At current rate Martin (and I assume others keeps growing so why not save the wood that should be saved and keep jobs in the US and Mexico.

Both of mine were used which sure helps the value, but they're great instruments no matter what just like my Larrivee puts many instruments to shame.

My 1st acoustic was a Martin that I gave to my daughter.

I spent the week at Charley's in Dallas and played several Martin's.

They had a nice D-18GE that sounded good.  Strange looking pickguard.

Walked out the door with a '06 Collings OM1 burst.

Always buy the one that calls out your name when you play it.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

QuoteWhy do Martins sound so much better?

It's the Spanish Cedar kerf linings... duh  :rolleye:

...they actually do smell better.

Quote from: bogie on November 30, 2007, 01:10:23 PM

Would you say the same about Collings?

Jim

Yes I would. Collings also uses bolt-on necks and I'm not sure that either of these are features I want on a $3000+ guitar, sorry.

Pound for Pound, I'd take a Santa Cruz OM/PW over Collings, Bourgeois and the like.

Quote from: jwsamuel on November 30, 2007, 10:28:06 PM
Would you say the same about Collings?

Jim
FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas

All I've got to say is that there's lots of nice guitars and lots of opinions and tastes. I think people should just say "I like this guitar more", instead of it's better. I mean guitar itself is going to sound different depending on who plays it, and thier style and technique.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Getting back to the derisiveness of the first post I would say that Martin guitars sound better because they are an old American tradition, not some Johnny-come-lately Canadian wannabees.

Everybody knows that Canada is just a cheap imitation of America. So are their guitars, including guitars made in the US by Canadians. I'm not sure I would trust a Canadian guitarist either, even if he was playing a Martin.

:humour:  :winkin:  :humour:  :winkin:  :humour:

PS I am both a Canadian and American (and soon to be British) citizen so feel I have the right to insult each country as I see fit! I'm an equal opportunity insulter.  :tongue:
~Lynn :guitar

Quote from: thistle on December 01, 2007, 03:27:42 AM
PS I am both a Canadian and American (and soon to be British) citizen so feel I have the right to insult each country as I see fit! I'm an equal opportunity insulter.  :tongue:

Wot about those English guitars eh?

If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: thistle on December 01, 2007, 03:27:42 AM
Getting back to the derisiveness of the first post-

I'm an equal opportunity insulter.

Acquiring target.  Lock and load.  I have them locked in, sir.   Fire away.

I thought I was back on the UMGF for a minute?   :whistling:

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>