Why do Martins sound so much better?

Started by jimmyd, November 29, 2007, 05:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Too quiet in here. Need to bring duck out of retirement.  :tongue:

Who me?   :whistling:    Darn. Busted before the first flames could be fanned.  :winkin:

Just so you know..Martins sound better because some of them are made out of HPL. :whistling:

174 years to perfect their craft.  Creator of the modern acoustic guitar design.  Tradition.
2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15

Because they cost so much more.   :whistling: :whistling:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Because they've got "Wings"  :whistling:

John
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

. . . .sound so much better than what?  :?  Hmmm? Huh? C'mon.  A tuba? Hmm?  Clarinett?  Magpie? hmmmm???  French horn?Violin?Double bass?  a BANJO?>?? (snort)  :laughin:

I just KNOW you didn't mean that Martins sound so much better than Larrivee's. :ohmy:
Larrivee OM-03R-12 string + IMix external
Martin 000-15S + IMix internal
Martin OM-16GTE + Fishman Matrix
Gretch 5120
Fender Squires - Tele & Strat

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.

I agree. They are the best percussion instrument money can buy. Try hitting one with a hammer to see for yourself

Wow, there is some serious martin envy going on here.  I didn't notice it for the first couple of weeks I joined, but it has reared its ugly head several times in the past week or so.  I am truly sorry for those of you who can't see/hear the beauty in a Martin guitar, as they are definitely one of the finer things in life that can be had by mere mortals.

And for the record, my Martin cost less new than my Larrivee did used.
2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15

I own a couple of Martins, high end ones at that. I play my Larrivee, alot. Thnking about buying another. Selling a Martin to do so. That's just the way it is right now.
Pleased to own OM-10MR, OM-50TSB, JCL, L-09LE

QuoteAnd for the record, my Martin cost less new than my Larrivee did used.

Mine, too (well, my used Martin cost less than my new Larrivee).  If people felt real confidence in their Larrivees, they'd stop this silliness and accept that all great guitars aren't made by Larrivee (or Martin, or Gibson, or Taylor, or whomever).

Sometimes it seems like this place is filled with 16 year olds: 

"Hey, dude! My Larrivee is awesome!"

"Yeah! Larrivee Rocks!"

"Everything else s*cks!"

etc., etc.

:arrow :arrow
:humour:
Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.

I had a Martin once...I gave it away.......... :roll
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Steve on November 29, 2007, 06:40:55 PM
Just so you know..Martins sound better because some of them are made out of HPL. :whistling:

I loved my HPL Martin!

However, I have to admit that I sold it when I bought a D-18V.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I once had one Martin and no Larrivees.   I now have two Larrivees and no Martin.

I wish I'd read this thread before I made such a huge mistake.   

Oh Well.

Martins are way over-priced and some fools equate quality with price.

I know 'cause I was one of them.  Four Larrys later I'm smarter now.

Are Martins better?

No, just different sounding. And too bottom-heavy for my tastes.  IMHO

Why not have some of both???? For that matter lets just play what we like instead of "mine is bigger than yours"  I love them ALL!!!
A bunch of great guitars I don't deserve and a gaggle of fly rods.... Aint life grand?

I've played a few Martins I liked.

A few.

:winkin:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: G Man on November 29, 2007, 08:24:51 PM
am truly sorry for those of you who can't see/hear the beauty in a Martin guitar, as they are definitely one of the finer things in life that can be had by mere mortals.

And for the record, my Martin cost less new than my Larrivee did used.

I love Martins. Next guitar I buy will be an HD-28V. I was joking about the hammer!

The problem is that I only like the higher priced Martins. HD28V, D-18GE, D-45V, OM-45 Marquis. The standard D-28 and D-18 do nothing for me.

Adjust for inflation what you paid for your Martin. Is it still less?

For me, no adjustments to be made.  I bought a 000-16SGT last spring (used) and a P10MQ in September.  Very different guitars.  The list price on the P10MQ was higher than the list price was in 2003 when my 000 was new.  I don't think the new price on a 000-16SGT would be much higher -- it'd have to be a custom order, anyway since they're not in production now.
Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.