Best advice for ~60% humidity

Started by bigduddy, November 28, 2007, 09:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I live in San Francisco and my hygrometer is reading about 58-62% RH (and temps around 63-65 degrees F). This is a bit high, but not in a danger zone. What do you guys think I should do? Leave it as is? Maybe throw a zorb-it in the case to keep it stable--assuming it'll be around 55% RH with a zorb-it in there with it.

At those levels, I would suggest you play your guitar as much as you can and have loads of fun - and don't worry about humidity!

Do keep an eye on it though. One of my guitars was showing signs of high humidity a while ago when I had 85-90% for a couple of weeks but since then it's settled back down to around 60%-65% and the guitar has gone back to normal. When it was high you could actually see the top has risen slightly and there was a dip at the end block. I picked up a few Zorb-its to see if they help next time I see a rise in humidity.
Larrivee P-05
Brook Taw

Quote from: bigduddy on November 28, 2007, 09:52:00 PM
I live in San Francisco and my hygrometer is reading about 58-62% RH (and temps around 63-65 degrees F). This is a bit high, but not in a danger zone. What do you guys think I should do? Leave it as is? Maybe throw a zorb-it in the case to keep it stable--assuming it'll be around 55% RH with a zorb-it in there with it.

A slight raise in temperature would drop the RH, not to mention the drying effects of forced air heat (if that's what you have).  Put your thermostat to 68-70F and monitor the RH% to see.  It might be easier to play with warmer hands too (63 is a bit chilly eh?)  :nana_guitar
'93 Larrivee OM-10 cutaway | IR/Sitka florentine
'06 McPherson MG 4.5 | Madagascar Rosewood & Redwood
Godin Multiac nylon fretless SA
Warr Artist 12 | wenge, maple, padauk 7-piece neck-thru w/zebrawood wings & headstock overlays