Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: house drying out in the fall/winter  (Read 739 times)
samcatlarr

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:21:03 AM »

Living in Ohio the house is slowly losing moisture with the heat coming on.  I have several guitars and keep them in their cases in a small room.  I run a humidifier in the winter but it's not quite cold enough to run it now in the Fall.  When the humidity starts to drop into the mid to low 40's I hang a damp towel in the room and it works well at keeping the humidity in the safe zone.
Jeff B.

Larrivee L-09 ebony; Martin D41, D16; Gibson J-50, Taylor 555
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:47:57 AM »

I'm in southern Michigan, just a stone's throw from Ohio. My furnace has been running for a couple of weeks now and my music room hygrometer told me that the furnace had dried the air in there to the low 40s and high 30s. So I fired up my room humidifier this week and brought the RH% up to the high 40s. Some of my guitars are out, but those in the case have case humidifiers. For the cases, I bought a bunch of plastic travel soap dish cases. I drilled a dozen 3/16 holes in the top and I put a small sponge inside.
Dry air will kill your guitar.
Read more here.
http://www.larrivee.com/6_customerService/subPages/signsDehydration.html
robv

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »

Here in Southern Ontario we've experienced a warm fall and so far my trusty Hygrometer(i'm going to check it soon) is reading ~45%. When it dips to 40%, I keep it in the case with an in-hole humidifier and like Queequeg supplement it with a contained damp sponge. Do read up on the signs of drying there is good info on the Larrivee site and the Taylor site has excellent information as well. This required vigilance is a draw back in owning quality instruments.. but worth it.
Rob

L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 06:06:21 PM »

Here in Southern Ontario we've experienced a warm fall and so far my trusty Hygrometer(i'm going to check it soon) is reading ~45%.

Yeah, I'm in Toronto, and the furnace has been on for a few weeks but so far it hasn't yet been running hard enough for me to pull out the room and Oasis humidifiers.  I was thinking I'd do it this week.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Crunchy Wacko

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 05:41:20 AM »

I'm in Toronto and had mine on for the last 2 weeks.  Without it my meter reads as low as 30%

2005 Larrivee L-03R "Elle"
2005 Seagull S6+ Spruce -"Doc"
2008 Gibson ES-339
Vox AD50VT Amp

Don't just practice -  practice  RIGHT!

SteveO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 02:26:34 PM »

93% humidity here as of late....
When I turn the furnace on, I close the door to the room my guitars are in and crack open the window a scotch.
It all balances out... of course I close it. when I'm in there playing

" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: