Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L body and Newtones  (Read 716 times)
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »

I've used D'Addario EJ16s on my L-04 Koa since I got it five years ago and have been satisfied with them. I recently tried a set of Newtone Masterclass phosphor bronze 12-52s and I liked them well enough, but maybe not well enough to bother with ordering them from 12th Fret in Toronto (you can't get jack squat in Montreal). Well, this weekend I put on a set of Newtone 12-54s. They sound very, very nice. Just a little sweeter than the D'Addarios. I guess I'll be ordering more. I like my strings aged a bit and the Newtones sound less shrill when fresh. However, I have found that when they age they really go quickly. D'Addarios, once they have settled down after a few days, tend to stabilize and last for quite a while before they become really bad sounding. I tend to keep strings on for about three months. On the other hand, the Newtone 13-56s on my parlor and the Newtone light 12-string set on my 12-string seem to be lasting longer than the 12-52s did.

Just some observations.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
JR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 05:58:04 AM »

When I got my L-09 MR from 12th Fret 3 months and 5 days ago (but who's counting bigrin), I requested that it be strung with Newtones, PB medium gauge, since I had heard so many good things about that brand. Well, Dave Wren used 13-56s, and my guitar keeps getting better and better - incredibly rich tone ! Newtones just might be my favorite strings now! I'll have to reserve final judgement until I can try them on my Huss & Dalton TDM Custom which is currently strung with John Pearse, also PB mediums. The JPs are about the same age as the Newtones, so they're lasting a long time as well.

You said you just put on a set of Newtones 12-54s. What gauge is that? On the back of my Newtones pack, it says the medium lights are 12-52, and the mediums are 13-56.

Also, I've never heard of an L-04. Is that like an L-03 custom since it's Koa?

Regards!
John

2007 L-09 MR 12th Fret 30th Anniversary Ltd Ed
2006 Huss & Dalton TDMA
1977 Takamine F395s (Guild 12-string copy)
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:40:37 PM »

The 12-54s are what they call their Custom set. With all the talk over in another thread about mediums, I'm tempted to give the 13-56s a try.

The 04 model is an 03 with a gloss finish. They used to be specially made for the 12th Fret, but I don't know if they still are. Mine found it's way to a Montreal store where I bought it. The koa must have been a special run.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
L7two

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 06:54:05 AM »

I wanted to try Newtones and order a few sets from the 12th Fret after reading about them from time to time.  None to be had in Edmonton either.  Put a set of Master Class Phos Bronze on my L-72 and will never go back.  Perfect fit tone wise IMHO.  I had been using D'Addario Phos Br lights prior to this.  I was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago and dropped into the 12th Fret to stock up on Newtones.  I find them very honest sounding but have not used them long enough to test their durability as far as standing up to use over weeks of playing.  Time will tell but I'm using them on a couple of small body Martins now as well. 

Best from  Canada - Larrivee! 79 L-72 Presentation / 84 L28 cutaway, Best from the USA - A bunch of Martins
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: