Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small Digital Hygrometer for your case ??  (Read 1453 times)
Daysailer

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2007, 03:25:47 AM »

Just stumbled upon this Hygrometer

http://www.cigarmony.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=81

Affordable, sized right for in case use,  adjustable for accuracy.

What more could you ask for  ??    Hope  Santa has a good supply of these.

ds

ps no relationship to this device or seller. just FYI

L-03 BlackWood..... "Pluck"
OM-03- MT Forum #14/17
F-III IS/Hog #63/78....SOLD
Seagull Artist Folk
Pono and Kanile'a Tenor Ukulele's
The real Day Sailer...1966 Day Sailer..the boat, not the person
bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 06:54:52 AM »

I've got 2 Oasis hygrometers and a PW Hygrometer.  The only problem is, I don't want to just throw them into the case.  And there's no way the velcro stuff will stick to crushed velvet.  How the heck do you fasten these tghings in a case without having them damage your guitar (because they'll easily fly around inside the case if you move the case at all?

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »

I have maybe a silly question, but why don't you put it in the storage box adjacent to the head stock?

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 01:34:13 PM »

Not a silly question at all. But @ figure that my in-case humification system (either humidipaks or Zorb-its) won't humidify the inside of the accessory box, so the readings in there will be incorrect. What's important is the humidity of the guitar, so the closer to the guitar, the better. 

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 01:58:13 PM »

Just a suggestion and I realize it is drastic and permanent. You could get some velcro with self adhesive and put one side on the back of the hygrometer and for the other side cut a hole in the crushed velvet to get to the wood part of the case and attach the velcro right to the wood. If you are careful cutting the velcro and the crushed velvet to match the shape of the hygrometer you could wind up with a very professional looking installation.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
dxn2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »

You could also staple one side of the velcro to the inside of case.  Just be very careful that the staples are not so long that they go through the case.

OM-03
------------------------------------------------------------------

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time
Pilgrim

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 04:35:34 PM »

The accuracy of the Hygrometer linked to at the top of the string doesn't look all that great for instrument use.  It's spec'd at +/-2% from 65 to 75%.  Since it's best to keep guitars closer to 50%, I'm not sure how trustworthy this unit would be at the area of 50% .  I have small hygrometers from Planet Waves and a Radio Shack.  The one from Radio Shack is very inaccurate at low humidity (below 40%), but within about 3 to 5% when the humidity is 50%.  The Planet Waves unit I have is much better, especially at low humidity.

I generally keep a hygrometer in the closet or room where the guitars are kept.  When I put them in the case, I drop them into a sock to protect the guitar.

OM-05, D-03
sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 05:27:10 PM »

I keep the planet waves version in the case beneath the headstock.  Keep it next to a little soft plastic soap box made for travel.  the soap box holds a bit of sponge I keep somewhat moist.  it all fits together fits nicely and doesn't move at all.  been doing this for a couple of years and haven't left even the smallest mark of any kind on any of my guitars.  the particular soap box I use came from the container store and they are around $1.  thanks for the post on those hygrometers.  might get one to compare and do a little check and balance thing on the planet waves. 

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 07:24:15 PM »

Without having to cut the interior lining, you can also tack in a small piece of plastic directly over the lining and attach the velcro to it. I did this in the headstock.

Just an idea...

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 04:07:02 AM »

I just bought a couple of the Planet Waves ones that are oval and fit down in betewen the strings...they have the special foam in them rather than a sponge, which holds much more water, and distributes it much more accurately to humidify the guitar. One in each Larrivee.  Only about $11 a piece. (Uses distilled water.)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 08:31:55 AM »

Mikeymac -- I think you are talking about a hydrometer, which dispenses moisture into the ambient air to make the humidity go up. I think they are talking about a hygrometer, which is the meter that measure the humidity in the case. Although, I use the planet waves soundhole hydrometer as well. I also use a case hydrometer by planet waves that has a safety pin type attachment so you can hook it into the lining material. Why they didn't do that on the hygrometer as well puzzles me.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
whiskeyjack

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 05:54:08 PM »

I just bought a couple of the Planet Waves ones that are oval and fit down in betewen the strings...they have the special foam in them rather than a sponge, which holds much more water, and distributes it much more accurately to humidify the guitar. One in each Larrivee.  Only about $11 a piece. (Uses distilled water.)

.....and be careful with those things.  They have a tendency to grow cultures of mold and mildew.  One day you'll open your case to the odor of mildew.....and it's darn near impossible to get rid of it.

whiskeyjack:  Perisoreus canadensis.  aka, gray jay, whiskey jay, whiskeyjack or timber jay.   A small, friendly bird of the northern coniferous forest.
bigduddy

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 03:49:45 AM »

I use a Western Caliber III hygrometer. Put some velcro on the hygro and the other side of the velcro into the case on the velvet where I shaved it down a bit.
drewzee87t

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 08:32:41 AM »

I recently picked up an Oasis hygrometer - it's the really small digital one. It came with a metal clip that you can use to attach it to the lid of the accessory compartment so that it's out of the way and still in the same atmosphere as the guitar. Comes with double sticky tape and you can orient it however it keeps out of contact with your guitar.

2002 Larrivee California Special Ed. LV19?
1972 Martin D-35
1969 Harmony Sovereign 1260
1995 Gibson LP Custom wine
2000 Heritage Millenium 2k
1990's Parker Fly Deluxe
2004 Brian Moore i gtr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: