Tommy Emmanual In Peoria 6-21-04

Started by dberch, June 26, 2004, 11:54:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

As Batman once said, "Holy bat s--t, Robin!"

Saw TE in Peoria last Monday night.  Oh my God.  I literally spent half the evening with my jaw hanging open.  He is absolutely phenominal.  He plays, he writes, he sings, HE PLAYS...!  Ever heard of Stanley Jordan?  TE is that fast without the two-hand tapping.  And when he slows it down it is bone-chilling beautiful.

If you EVER get a chance to see him live - please do, you won't regret it.

One other thing: TE plays Maton guitars from Australia.  Spruce tops and back/sides of ... you guessed it ... Australian Blackwood.  Featured prominently on his new CD, "Endless Road."  So here's your chance, all you BW doubters, to finally hear for yourself what BW sounds like.  However, do NOT attempt the feats of strength and skill exhibited in TE's playing.  Or do so at your own risk.  

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

QuoteOne other thing: TE plays Maton guitars from Australia.  Spruce tops and back/sides of ... you guessed it ... Australian Blackwood.  Featured prominently on his new CD, "Endless Road."  So here's your chance, all you BW doubters, to finally hear for yourself what BW sounds like.  However, do NOT attempt the feats of strength and skill exhibited in TE's playing.  Or do so at your own risk.  

David
Dave,

I thought that Tommy's guitars were made of Queensland Maple (Flindersia breyleyana) , another indigenous tree to the land down under. He may have broadened his horizons tho'. Wouldn't surprise me.

http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/te.asp
http://www.maton.com.au/acoustics/EBG8082.asp

Maton uses a lot of Australian Blackwood, Queensland Maple and Queensland Walnut (Endiandra palmerstronii) as tone woods in their guitars and QM for the necks. I don't think any of these woods are in short supply. Neither QM or QW are true maples or walnuts.

AB is not the only tonewood in town but it is sure a good one!  :o  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

QuoteI thought that Tommy's guitars were made of Queensland Maple (Flindersia breyleyana)
Hi Don,

Maton uses lots of maple, but the guitars TE played Monday night (3 Matons: one EBG 808, a Dread, and one L type) all looked like Blackwood.  Of course, I could always be mistaken...

Check out their EBG 808 http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/acoustic/...maton/bg808.htm
Site lists blackwood and maple available for b/s

David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Well, we will REALLY be glad to add Tommy as an ABW convert!

Maybe Orsino can confirm this one way or the other when he goes to Mark Hanson's workshop.

The important thing is the sound that comes out of the guitar. I don't care if Tommy plays balsa plywood, he sounds marvelous!

He is coming to Phoenix on July 26. Would love to see him but I will be in Kauai on that date (poor planning on my part).  :(  I'll just have to suffer in paradise.  ;)  
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom