What NEW artists are you listening to?

Started by jeremy3220, November 19, 2007, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen Hansard - -I think he sounds a bit like the "late" Cat Stevens

I think someone mentioned the movie he had in the shout box.....

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=201216802

Video:

[youtube=425,350]XzQRuTwaFI8[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]h0Uf4JZWzgE[/youtube]

Nice "Willie Nelson" guitar he's got there, lol
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

yea didy, way to go!!!  I saw the movie "once" and loved it so much i got as much glen hansard, marketa irglovia, and the frames stuff I could get my hands on.  I also went to see his concert at the crystal ballroom a few months ago and it was spectacular.  When they were done playing, we all started chanting for more and he came back and played like 5 more songs, taking requests from the crowd, it was unbelieble.  He is a great guy, real down to earth.  I talked to him a bit after he almost hit me opening his tour bus door.  Anyways its great stuff, he has a great style, and the emotion he plays with is really inspiring. 
2002 L-10 Special Edition
2002 Martin D-15
2005 Blueridge BR-183
2006 double sound hole 12 fret handmade guitar

Quote from: golfmaniac1 on January 02, 2008, 03:20:49 AM
I talked to him a bit after he almost hit me opening his tour bus door.

Why were you so close to his tour bus door, Will?  :whistling:
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

his bus was parked right outside the crystall ballroom, like right next to the curb and I was waiting in line to go inside and he opened the door with maketa, I was shocked, I didnt even think it was their bus!
2002 Martin D-15
2005 Blueridge BR-183

Not new, but new to me, Mary Flower. Came across her recently on XM74. Check out her CD Instrumental Breakdown:

http://yellowdogrecords.com/maryflower/instrumental_breakdown.html

Just curious, did anyone check out any of the performers I mentioned back oin Page 1 of thsi thread?   If so, post what you thought if you have a minute.

Quote from: tubeornot2b on January 08, 2008, 05:05:33 PM
Just curious, did anyone check out any of the performers I mentioned back oin Page 1 of thsi thread?   If so, post what you thought if you have a minute.

I listened to the ones with links: Annie and the Hot Club, and Devil Doll.

I liked 'em both.  My daughter particularly liked Annie ...
:smile:
-Dan
Cordoba 20TM-CE Ukulele
OM-03E
D-04
Rainsong Shorty SFT

New to me, although not to jazz fans, is Brad Mehldau. He is a fine pianist, and has a killer rhythm section he works with. I first heard him playing on a duo CD with Pat Metheny, but I've gone on to get three of his CD's off of Itunes.
Great jazz player, with some great takes on Beatles and other popular songs - he does a version of "Still Crazy After All These Years" by Paul Simon that is enough to bring you to tears.

Paul Brady-
While he's certainly not new, he's only new to me. I suppose the rest of the world has known about him for 30 years.
It's always a treat to discover new music.
[youtube=425,350]QgaIAzWW2zc[/youtube]
[youtube=425,350]CD4eS2Xb6Ls[/youtube]

Not really new, but Interpol just blows me away. I also like Uncle Earl, , Andrienne Young, and that whole Lacuna Coil/Nightwish thing...especially the lead singer for Lacuna Coil :tongue:  Also Brandi Carlile...again, not really new per se, but relatively unknown, which is a shame. An amazing voice and a pretty good songwriter.

A friend tried to turn me on to Beirut (or some guy who calls himself Beruit???), but it sounded like bad mid-1930s Western European music. I listened several times....it actually got WORSE every time. :crying:
"I've suffered for my art; now it's your turn."

My songs:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=236287

New to me - Terry Tufts - Two Nights Solo - live at Rasputin's Folk Cafe in Ottawa.
Brian M.

Yes, I am part of the 'older demographic', I have been listening to a lot of alternative rock stuff - sounds reminiscent of 70's acoustic rock - a mix of acoustic and electric guitars.  I like Incubus, Staind, One Republic...Got turne don to this stuff thru my 13 year old son. lol
7? NBN CT R LTD (custom concert Size) http://media.putfile.com/Pupu-HinuhinuKahuli-Aku-NBN-CT-R-Ltd
76 Martin D-35 (MIA)
58 Harmony Sovereign 1203
06 S & P Woodland Spruce 12
01 Larrivee L09  http://media.putfile.com/Manu-Kai-Larrivee-L09

Quote from: brimc76 on January 26, 2008, 12:17:58 PM
New to me - Terry Tufts - Two Nights Solo - live at Rasputin's Folk Cafe in Ottawa.

Wow...I've been to Rasputin's before....and I've seen Terry play before....Actually, Terry and I have the same agent and play some of the same venues.  GREAT fingerstyle guitarist!

Hey, 'new to me' doesn't count   :cop:

This thread is about new artist, not what you've been up to lately. :mad:

I guess that was harsh. I forgot to take my pills today.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on February 06, 2008, 02:49:53 PM
Hey, 'new to me' doesn't count   :cop:

This thread is about new artist, not what you've been up to lately. :mad:

Sorry, how long has Terry been around?

Brian M.

Glen Hansard  :+1: Good Stuff!  Can you guys make sense of Glen Hansard, "Once", "The Frames", "Swell Season", for me?  Are the latter two side projects of Hansard's?  I know that "Once" is a movie, did he write it, or did he write the music?  I heard the song "Swell Season/Swell Season" on their Myspace page and it was beautiful.  I'm really impressed.  Thanks for mentioning them, Didymus!
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)

2005 Larrivée  LV-03
2010 Larrivée  00-03 Forum IV
2011 Larrivée  RS-04
2013 Larrivée  D-40

Quote from: blued03r on February 07, 2008, 09:10:53 AM
Glen Hansard  :+1: Good Stuff!  Can you guys make sense of Glen Hansard, "Once", "The Frames", "Swell Season", for me?  Are the latter two side projects of Hansard's?  I know that "Once" is a movie, did he write it, or did he write the music?  I heard the song "Swell Season/Swell Season" on their Myspace page and it was beautiful.  I'm really impressed.  Thanks for mentioning them, Didymus!

The Swell Season is Glenn's current project, which really consists of him and Marketa Irglova, (I don't know the exact spelling) They both wrote most of the music for the movie "once" specifically for the movie.  The Frames is the Band Glen has been playing in since he got started.  I've been getting really into there stuff recently, its pretty good, and they are considered to be one of the biggest Irish bands.  I also think that when I saw the swell season in concert that they had the members of the frames on the instrumentals, so maybe the swell season is marketa + the frames??  I'm not really sure, the frames and the swell season have really different sounds though, both equally impressive but deffinately different.  well, thats pretty much all I got, its all good stuff to listen to!
2002 Martin D-15
2005 Blueridge BR-183

I don't know how NEW he is, but I was just introduced to Johnny A today and I'm thouroughly impressed!  I saw one of his signature Gibson's for sale at a local shop, and man, they're nice, and only $4000!   :drool:   I came home and checked out some of his stuff on YouTube.  There's just something really catchy and soulful, yet virtuosic (is that a word?) about what he's doing.  A real guitarist's guitarist for those who are into jazz, blues, and rock.  I don't recall hearing of him on this thread so I thought I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ7amOCI6DI&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCTm1TcL7z8&feature=related
Larrivee D-09
Washburn D-10S
Framus Classical Archback
Fender Jazz and P-Basses

"Snap snap, grin grin, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more?" (Eric Idle)
Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero)