What NEW artists are you listening to?

Started by jeremy3220, November 19, 2007, 11:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

It's no secret that this forum and others like it are made up of an older demographic, so there's a lot of talk about older artists and their works classic or recent, which is great but I want to know what new artists acoustic guitar players are listening to. No, the artist doesn't have to be acoustic but they do have to be somewhat new to the music scene (like this century).

Fionn Regan, who has been discussed recently, is a great singer-songwriter who doesn't sound like another clone of the indie/emo/rock music scene. He has tight arrangements which remind me of Nick Drake and sometimes early Dylan. Some of the guitar playing is on the verge of being country blues or ragtime.

[youtube=425,350]wM7wyui6mzs[/youtube]

The other artist I've been listening to is Jolie Holland, she's very traditional sounding. She is an absolute master songwriter. I love her sound; the band sounds classic Nashville, and she's got a great vocal delivery. and how cool is that guitar?

[youtube=425,350]V9Tz7IpyN0k[/youtube]

HOW NEW????

As of a few months ago I started listening to Feist after seeing her perform on a Jimmy Kimmel show rerun.

Last year I came across Larrivee wielding Raul Midon.

In the bargain bins at the local used CD shop I found Chris Cortez,s "Hold It Right There" CD (preview on AMAZON and several used copies going for a penny -don't delay).  Formerly of New Orleans (before Katrina), great swing jazz playing and singing.

From Brazil Carol Saboya (w/Nelson Faria) doing Jobim, the Janelas Abertas CD.

By the way I'm part of the older crowd at 52.

OOPS show could I forget one of my current new favorites.... the very versatile Annie Sellick, particularly the Stardust on My Sleeve and I'll Remember April (w/Joey Defrancesco) CD's. For fun listening go to YOUTUBE ... http://www.myspace.com/annieandthehotclub and listen to Chickadee and Cockadoodledoo, by her Annie and the Hot Club project .

From a couple of years ago...   Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers (40's Jazz done in a jump band arranmgement. For great fun Devil Doll ( http://www.myspace.com/devildoll ) best described as a kind of Punk Noir Jazz chanteusse. Devil Doll is like a blend of Lavay Smith with Pearl Harbour and the Explosions (my favorite punk band from the San Francisco 70's punk scene).

Gotta say I have been listening to Fretkillr and Troubleclef a lot lately too.

I've got some newer stuff I really enjoy.  I particularly like Damien Rice, Iron & Wine and, while I know some are not big fans, John Mayer.

Actually, John Mayer put out an acoustic EP called the Village Sessions.  It contains 6 actouatic versions of songs from his latest album Continuum.  Excellent stuff.

I've been into Jolie Holland for a while now.  Jeremy, check out her brief stint with The Be Good Tanyas on their record 'Blue Horse'.  That's one of the best records I own. 

I've been getting into Neko Case for a while. Really good stuff. 

Simon Mayor is new to me and I've been listening to him like mad.

On the Rock and Roll front, someone just gave me a CD by a band called Siversun Pickups.  I like it. 

Also enjoying iron and wine, as well as neko case.  Lately I have been listening to a lot of alt.country type music.  Dave Alvin is a new big favorite of mine, along with peter case.  And on the rock n roll front, drive by truckers really know how to lay down that full classic les paul/marshall stck sound in the way I like to hear it.  However, the list is ultimately endless, as there is really a lot of great music out there if one only knows where to look.
2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15

Ralph Roddenbery is rapidly becoming one of my new favorites, and he plays a Larrivee.

http://www.myspace.com/ralphroddenbery 

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

While she's not a guitar player, there's a young woman out of the Pacific Northwest Sara Gazarek who is a Jazz singer
who has a beautiful voice, small combo, three instrumentalists and her vocals.
I would'nt consider myself a true Jazz fan, bust she is just wonderfull
My wife says I can buy, sell swap guitars and cars as much as I want...
as long as I don't start swapping wives... sounds like a good deal to me.

New to me, Ana Vidovic, classical guitarist, lotsa youtube stuff. JP
Do3R, PavanTP20, 64 Melody Maker, 4or5 Teles, Godin SA, Carter SD10, Regal Reso,OM03RE,MIM Strat, Tak SC132

I saw Fiona Buoys(sp) last year at the James River Blues Fest and she is a great singer, and performer.  She is Australian, and apparently spends time in the US touring every year.  She is a good acoustic guitar player also.
Clifford
Clifford

Larrivee L-09 Custom Moonspruce
Eastman E20SS
JWalker "Wise River"
McPherson Sable
Fender Telecaster American ProII
Furch G23SR Cutaway Sitka / Rosewood
PRS Santana Abraxas

Relatively new music that I am listening to:

Arcade Fire,
Bedouin Soundclash
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

One (relatively) new act that intrigues me is Eastmountainsouth, which my wife introduced me to. I don't know much about them as yet, but they remind me a lot of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. My wife is going to buy me (and when she says me, she means her) a CD for Christmas

Quote from: stubby on November 30, 2007, 07:35:23 PM
One (relatively) new act that intrigues me is Eastmountainsouth, which my wife introduced me to. I don't know much about them as yet, but they remind me a lot of Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. My wife is going to buy me (and when she says me, she means her) a CD for Christmas
I've got their self-titled record.  Really good stuff, but that's all I have by them.  I particularly like their version of Stephen Foster's Hard Times Come Again No More. 

I am really liking "A fine Frenzy" for some reason.. Mainly the ache in her voice. I wish she played the guitar
:humour:

Oh yeah.. Niko Case comes to mind
2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!

Leslie Feist and Surfjan Stevens seem to be the only acts that have gotten my sustained attention so far.
If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote from: bearsville0 on December 02, 2007, 10:16:59 AM
Surfjan Stevens
I have a Christmas album by this guy.  Umm......"interesting" stuff, anway.   :whistling:

Quote from: the creature on December 02, 2007, 01:04:20 PM
I have a Christmas album by this guy.  Umm......"interesting" stuff, anway.   :whistling:

Creature, I heard a very interesting show on WNYC's "Spinning on Air" last month (one of my long time fave radio shows) with Surfjan Stevens. I think you might find it interesting.

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/spinning/episodes/2007/10/28

It's different from his usual pop/rock music.
If it sounds good, it is good.

After seeing Old Crow Medicine Show live about a month ago, I have been listening to them, but my favorite new
  artist would be Tift Merritt from North Carolina.
  She is pretty, a very nice person, extremely talented, and boy can this girl sing. If you ever get a chance to see her live,   please do so. You will not be disappointed.
  She plays both electric and acoustic. The two times that I have seen her she was solo and acoustic only, but she does
  play the piano also. Her main axe is a 1963 or 1965 J series Gibson and it sounds great.
  She has a couple of albums out one is called Tambourine which I believe was nominated for a Grammy and the other
  is Bramble Rose.
  Why this girl is not a major star is beyond me. The only reason I can think of is she doesn't fit Nashville's requirements
  for a star for some reason. Probably too good!!!
  Here's the link to her website:

http://www.tiftmerritt.com/

Sacha Sacket

http://www.sachasacket.com

And, who can forget the classics.........?

[youtube=425,350]PJQVlVHsFF8[/youtube]
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

Quote from: didymus21 on December 04, 2007, 08:16:44 PM

And, who can forget the classics.........?

No one. it's freakin stuck in my head now and the only way to get it out, is to blow it out! So long, it was good knowing y'all.