Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best strap?  (Read 1617 times)
Novalis

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2007, 05:49:19 AM »

Somebody suggested that I try using a strap and to sit on a stool to minimize shoulder pain.

What is the best strap for those of us with shoulder injuries (I'm not concerened about price, I want the most comfortable strap possible). I have the Larrivee strap that came with my guitar, but I want something that will hold my SD close while sitting in the classical style (I am thinking about putting a strap pin on my guitar, although I fear that might decrease the value, but if putting a strap pin on my SD helps and allows me to keep my guitar then iit's worth it!).

Sorry if my posts are getting boring, but I want to try everything possible before selling/trading my favorite guitar and I value everyone's advice. The stool DOES make a little bit of difference and maybe a strap can be that extra bit of help I need. Thank you so much for any thoughts/suggestions on a good strap, you all are the best! I'm not much of a drinker, but here's one on me for your help.

Or for those of you who abstain from alcohol, have a cup of my gourmet coffee.

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
thistle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »

I have one of those padded leather Martin straps like this:

http://www.playbetterbluegrass.com/martin_baby_soft_4212_prd1.htm

It helps me a lot more (shoulder pain-wise)  if I use the strap attached to the headstock rather than to a strap buttom at the base of the neck. It makes a big difference.

~Lynn
imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:09:29 PM »

I use the relatively inexpensive suede Levys models for a few reasons. The suede will hold the guitar from sliding, they go on and off with ease, they don't come from China, and they come from a company with good reputation so I assume they won't hurt the finish of my guitars.

I also have Planet Waves and Levys with all nylon or nylon lining side and the way then can move around is either blessing or curse. When I do my public bluegrass playing the suede models help hold the guitar in the right position for what eve or how I want to play.

I've considered the well regarded Sully's straps, but saw another of the Levys I like for only $16.
G Man

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 01:19:41 PM »

Since you are having shoulder issues, maybe one of those big old bass straps with the sheepskin lining on the shoulder part.  I know its the other shouolder that is giving you issues, but why not protect the one good one you still have.

2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 05:14:52 PM »

By far and away the best strap for a Larrivee:

I think it looks fabulous and it is extremely comfortable.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 06:18:15 PM »

By far and away the best strap for a Larrivee:

I think it looks fabulous and it is extremely comfortable.

That does look nice. I've just been using the one that came with the SD and want to upgrade to something with a little more padding That one looks like the ticket, I'll have to check and see if they sell those at the Larrivee website.

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
Mr_LV19E
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 12:32:07 AM »

I tried to order one last week and they're out of stock. Still waiting for a responce to the phone message I left asking when they would be in stock again.

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"
Hoser Rob

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 06:45:56 PM »

Yes, a nice leather strap looks great.  Nothing else like it.

But ....

If you're having shoulder problems it seems to me the important thing is to get the guitar in exactly the right place.

And leather straps, which will adjust only in inch increments, aren't good enough.  A regular fabric strap will give you infinite adjustability.  1/8" of a difference can really matter.

I've used leather straps in the past but I use a regular Fender cotton strap with leather ends.

And by all means put a strap button in the neck heel.  If you tie it to the headstock you're immobilizing the neck.  Not good for shoulder problems either.

And don't worry about a button on the heel devaluing the guitar in the long run.  If that'd be a major factor 20 or 30 years from not the guitar ain't worth that much anyway.
flaggerphil

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 09:56:58 AM »

I use a strap when sitting all the time.  THE best strap I've ever had is the Taylor suede strap...period.  I use them on ALL of my guitars, no matter the brand.  They're comfortable, stable, exremely adjustable and look good (to me).

I've been told, but never had it confirmed, that Levi's makes the strap for Taylor.  Don't know if it's true or not.

Also, I doubt seriously that putting a strap button on your guitar will hurt it's value.  IMHO.

Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 07:15:33 AM »

The Larrivee strap is a Levy. I've purchased three and they are extremely comfortable (IMHO). If you can do without the Larrivee logo, you can look for a Levy MSS80. If you like the Larrivee color, it is Walnut (WAL). Something just a tad lighter is brown (BRN), or you can go darker with dark brown (DBR).

I ordered mine from Maverick-music.com in North Carolina. They didn't have it in stock, but ordered it up. It took a couple/three weeks to get in, but they shipped it right away. Great to deal with. Excellent pricing. Looks like they even have one listed on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Levys-Classic-Padded-Leather-Guitar-Strap-MSS80_W0QQitemZ200124260804

No relation, etc. Just a satisfied customer. The MSS80 is 2" wide. If you would like something 2.5" wide, check out the MSS100. However, with the padding, I find the 2" strap more comfortable because it doesn't dig into my neck like the wider one. Personal opinion though.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
Johnny M
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 07:24:21 AM »

I have a Long Hollow leather strap that I bought a few years ago that I really like.  Nothing fancy, just a nice soft black leather strap that wasn't that expensive.  You can check them out here;

http://www.longhollowleather.com/

John

...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/
ElJefe

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 02:49:42 PM »

I'm into leather.   

Guitar:      http://www.sullysstraps.com/

Mandolin:  http://www.thebaileystrap.com/

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
robv

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 11:41:54 PM »

I have to  +1  on the Taylor suede. Bought one about a 6 months ago, like it alot.

Rob

L05 2003
'77 yamaki
'74 Yamaha classical
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: