Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing LR Baggs strapjack - what do I replace it with?  (Read 2524 times)
lorenzo

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2007, 09:01:09 AM »

Hello all,

Hope someone can help with this minor enquiry...

I no longer want to use my LR Baggs M1 active pickup in my OMV-03 - what do I do about getting a strap button / endpin to fit the gaping hole left behind by the 1/4" strapjack?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Larrivee OMV-03
Fylde Othello
jking

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:17:13 AM »

I recently bought a nearly new guitar that had been reamed out for a pickup jack and did the work myself.

It is likely that your strap jack was reamed out to 1/2" but you should measure.
One option is to buy a piece of 1/2 inch hardwood dowel and cut a plug to fit the hole. If the hole was hand reamed, it is likely that it will taper down to a slightly narrower diameter inside, so you will need a bit of patience in sanding the plug to properly fit the hole.

Then just drill the dowel and ream it out to take your standard end pin. You can glue the dowel plug or leave it snug with a friction fit. I did mine with a friction fit and it seems fine. 

Another option is to buy an end pin custom sized for you. I saw these recently, maybe at Bob Colosi's web site. Bob has a really good reputation for quality work.

lorenzo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »

jking,

I'll check out the Colosi site. I don't fancy doing any woodwork myself!

Many thanks for the advice...

Larrivee OMV-03
Fylde Othello
melanie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:28:59 PM »

Hi
I have recently bought a new L-03R, to which I have installed a B-Band active system.
Now, when I removed the original strap pin, expecting to have to ream it out to take the B-Band jack endpin, I found it was already reamed to 1/2". The strap pin was bolted in with an expanding centre section to grip the wider hole. As this was installed at the factory, I would imagine this part would be available from Larrivee direct. If it is, it would make a better job of concealing the 1/2" hole left by your old endpin jack :)

Mel 
lorenzo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 02:19:17 PM »

Mel,

many thanks for your input!

I'll check this out with Larrivee - I didn't realise the Larrivee endpin holes were usually that size anyway. I had the shop install the Baggs M1 and I just assumed they must have reamed the endpin hole out to fit the strapjack...

Thanks again...

Larrivee OMV-03
Fylde Othello
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 02:22:17 PM »

If yo need the original Larrivee strap button PM me your address and I'll pop one in the mail for you.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 04:09:45 PM »

This might be obvious but I would check the accessory compartment of your guitar case.   It's quite possible that the tech who did the install of the endpin jack put the original strap button in there for you.   That's what my tech did when he installed a pickup in mine.  If it's not there have Unclrob send you one.

tuffythepug
G Man

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 06:59:36 PM »

Bob Collossi does indeed have a bone end-pin for just this issue.  http://www.guitarsaddles.com/Plugs.asp

2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15
lorenzo

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 09:07:59 AM »

Thanks everyone for helping me out on this one.

unclrob - thanks for that; I've sent you a message...

tuffy - no such luck re: the accessory compartment; the shop guitar tech must have held onto the original strap button.

G-man - thanks for posting that link to the Colosi endpin page. They look great but are a little pricey for my budget. Maybe someone will get me one for Christmas... 

Larrivee OMV-03
Fylde Othello
lorenzo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 04:51:34 PM »

Hey unclrob,

many thanks - the endpin arrived in today's post. If you're ever over in England, I'll buy you a pint...

Lorenzo

Larrivee OMV-03
Fylde Othello
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2007, 02:33:23 AM »

Your on.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: