Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soft Furnishings  (Read 693 times)
PaulR

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2007, 03:42:30 PM »

No, I'm not starting a girly discussion about cushions and curtain design.... 

My wife was watching some awful reality TV program the other day and I decided to take myself off to the kitchen to practise a little guitar. I was astounded at how much better my guitar sounded - so much brighter, louder, more clarity. I tried all my guitars and the result was the same. I came to the conclusion that it must be due to the (lack of) curtains, carpets, cusions etc in the kitchen as compared to our main living area. I think it also went some way to explaining why when I tried out a friends collection of guitars at his house, I thought they all sounded better than mine. He has bare floorboards, leather sofa, no cushions, blinds instead of curtains etc.

Anyone else experience this? Unfortunately, my wife doesn't seem too keen on the idea of a serious minimalist style room makeover to improve the acoustics. I may just have to take up playing guitar in the bath...

Larrivee P-05
Brook Taw
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »

Anyone else experience this?

yup, that's why most studios have wood floors(or something hard).

tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:57:09 PM »

No doubt that a room's acoustic characteristics will effect the perceived sound of a guitar played in it.  My guitars sound best when played in the foyer of our house where there are no window coverings, the walls are close and the floor is ceramic tile.  Acoustics are funny, when I go into my guitar room I'm always surprised that my metal-bodied resonator guitar echoes my voice when its just hanging on the wall...It's an eerie phenomenon.  I once recorded a song as I sang it directly into the resonator cone which had a microphone next to it.    It was a neat effect that was good for that particular song.
Matteo

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 04:16:49 PM »

Well, I experienced a remarkable difference playing my guitar when wearing a sweater. That sounded me strange at first, but without wearing it the sound was louder and had many more tones! The reason is actually easy to understand.
Differently from laminate guitars, solid wood guitars are alive, and they feel even the slightest difference in any part of the environment they are played in... and this is so exciting!!!

1988 Yamaha FG445
2004 Crafter TB-Bubinga
2007 Larrivèe D-09E
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 04:34:20 PM »

I just put in new floors in my house replacing the carpet with wood laminate.
My guitar room now sounds totally awesome. I used to sit in front of the glass patio door to get a clean bounce back,
but now I can sit comfortably in my room and play.

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 04:53:14 PM »

Haven't you ever locked yourself in the bathroom?

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 05:59:28 PM »

Haven't you ever locked yourself in the bathroom?

Not with a guitar
G Man

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:13:30 PM »

Not with a guitar

Well, I guess its time to start living then.

2004 SD-60
2000 Martin OM-21
1973 LoPrinzi LR-15
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: