James Taylor One man band DVD/CD

Started by TrueNorth, November 13, 2007, 02:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was cruising Amazon today looking for book ideas for my best friend who turns 46 the 22nd of Nov. He lives in CT. , I live in Europe so Amazon is easy and painless. I was actually looking for a book on JFK, one of his (and my) heroes.  As a frequent Amazon customer they have a pretty good profile of my likes through past orders. That's a whole new "big brother" thread that will have to wait for another time.  Amazon "suggested" I might be interested in James Taylors new "One man band" DVD/CD. They have a little video sampler/teaser from this concert that took place in Pittsfield MA. Sydney Pollock directed it and apparently between songs J.T.  talks about the songs and their origins and even shows private photos and movie clips as a backdrop while he's performing. I've been a fan of his all my adult life. To be able to do only ONE thing that he does so well, write, sing, or play would be a blessing. The fact that he does all 3 of those things is remarkable. The man is a National treasure, and a living legend. :bowdown: I'd love to hear a review of this DVD if anyone has it. Thanks,  :thumb TN.   (P.S. Yes he plays his Olson.)

TN

I've had the recording pre-ordered from Amazon for about a month.  It showed up yesterday, a day before the scheduled release.  I couldn't be more pleased!  I saw JT in Burlington, Vermont as he began his "One Man Band" tour over the summer.  The DVD really captures the spirit and intimacy of the show.  I saw him in a theatre not unlike the Colonial, where the video was recorded. 

James has decades of experience creating a repore with the audience, and his charm and enduring wit seems very genuine.  The video also acts as a bit of an autobiography, as he discusses his parents, his wife and friends past and present.  He has a slide show going throughout the show, operated from a laptop he runs with a foot pedal.  It baffled me how he synchronized his music with the chorus in Travelling Star.

The video does not do justice to his drum machine he invented for the tour.  The thing is quite impressive in person.  It works like a giant player piano, with a shark-finned cylinder which raises and lowers arms as it rotates, to strike various percussive devices.

Overall, how can you go wrong with a James Taylor CD/DVD combo for under $20.  Nicely packaged and well produced, as you would expect. 

I wonder if Mr. Olson has any guitars kicking around that he'd let go of cheap?  Not likely.
Dave

Larrivee OMV-50
Martin 000-28VS(B)
La Patrie Concert
Republic (O-style reso)
'62 Silvertone (amp in case...dual lipstick p'ups)

I just saw James Taylor last week. All I could say is WOW. Song after song, it was just fantastic.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Just to make converstion, My buddy is a Jazz/flamenco guitarist who doesnt get JT.
Anyways ,I mentioned to him that Sting holds him in high regard and he kinda
got instant respect for him.I said you have to listen to the songs as well as the guitar and voice and the fact he has been so consistent for so many years.

I look forward to getting the new DVD/CD this weekend.
Dave

Thanks all. DFR & Dale, I'm envious. I haven't seen James Taylor perform since  I think around 1998 when he came through Stockholm with "Hourglass". He played in a beautiful old intimate theatre here. I took a good friend who knew some of JT's music but had never seen him perform. My friend was going through a painful separation from his wife. At one point in the concert the band left the stage and James Taylor stood alone with his Olson around his neck and started playing "the secret of life". You could hear a pin drop in that theatre. Half way through the song my friend nudged me and whispered he was going out to the lobby to get some air. I was riveted by this song and couldn't understand why it was so important to get air just now. It was dimly lit in the theatre but as I turned to my friend I could see some tears trickling down his cheek. James Taylor definitely "speaks" to a lot of people. I too read that Sting, who is no slouch himself with a guitar, said that James Taylor was one of the most under rated guitar players around. I agree. On Tommy Emmanuel's CD "Only" he credits James Taylor with giving him inspiration, and you can most definitely hear his influence on a few of the tracks. Beautiful stuff. Thanks for your views and inputs. It's not that I needed a review to see if it was worthy of a purchase, I just hadn't read anywhere about this "One man band" CD and was surprised to hear about it. There's one its way to me...can't wait. All the best, TN.

I've seen JT a few times but not in an intimate setting and not recently. Allways loved his music and amazed at his talent.

Last Christmas my wife's brother brought over a gift for me and it was a DVD tribute to James Taylor with many artists doing his songs including Sting playing this stringed instrument that I'm not familiar with. JT was in the audience and toward the end did a couple tunes himself. Wish I could tell you more about the DVD but after we watched it together that night he borrowed it and I've never seen it again, he needs a little oil if you know what I mean.

:cheers
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Mr_LV19e

I know the video you are talking about.  There was a particular song that really blew me away.  Alison Krauss singing Carolina In My Mind with Jerry Douglass backing her up on Dobro.  It's available on YouTube if you want to search it.  The video has been shown on PBS a few times.
Dave

Larrivee OMV-50
Martin 000-28VS(B)
La Patrie Concert
Republic (O-style reso)
'62 Silvertone (amp in case...dual lipstick p'ups)

Thanks for posting on this.  My wife loves JT and it will make a great Christmas present for her.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Thanks DFR

BTW when I showed my wife what I wrote about her brother she was rolling on the floor laughing, literally.
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"