To Baggs or not to Baggs that is the question.

Started by ibisimon, October 27, 2007, 06:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I don't plug in much. But, I am starting to do small shows. I have a Marshall 50 W Acoustic Amp. Is there anything I can do with the Baggs system that isn't already on my amp? I'm truly in the dark on the whole amplified sound thing.
The guitar in question is my OMV60 SB that Larrivee is replacing (see other post).   They will put in the original pick up. Or, for a few hundred dollars they will take me to a Baggs upgrade. What do you think? Dale I promise to figure out the vote thing......
I can't say enough nice stuff about Larrivees Customer service. I've owned my own business for about 20 years now, I'm impressed beyond words.

My vote is keep it simple.Just an under the saddle pickup.No real reason to put  hole in the side of your guitar.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Go with the IBeam. I have put a lot of these in Larrivee guitar with great results every time. There is no permanent modification to the guitar. Not even the saddle. With a ribbon system the saddle will need to be cut down and a hole drilled for the wire.
Jim Holler. Luther
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

ibisimon - To get a poll, instead of choosing to start a "new topic" you go to the next button to the right, which says "new poll". You will still get to enter a subject and text similar to a regular post, but you will also get to dictate poll options. Not hard at all.

I have a LR Baggs i-Mix, with is an under saddle and an under bridge system. I did not cut a hole in the side of the guitar. The volume and balance knobs are accessible at the sound hole and the electronics are velcroed interior (as well as the battery). You get a dual pre-amp and can run a stereo cord out if you wanted to split the signal.

I think the iBeam or the iMix would be a worthy upgrade if you are going to play amplified. However, I would NOTcut a hole in the side and would stick with the regular systems instead of the onboard systems.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

IBeam it is. I'd hate to have invasive surgery done to art.

Don't let Larrivee cut into your guitar.

Here's what they did to my L-03 to turn it into the 'E' version:

You can double-click the photo to see it in all it's ugly detail.

And they don't cover it under their lifetime warranty.

Install the I-Beam yourself.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud