Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any South African Larri owners?  (Read 1200 times)
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2007, 07:52:36 PM »

Oubaas, your name sounds familiar...

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Oubaas

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 02:40:18 AM »

LOL!  Just pitched up and saw this one!  Well, I lived in "die Vry Staat" for quite a few years, but I'm American born.  The wife, on the other hand is a "When We..." Rhodesian who was transplanted to SA.  Right now I have just the one Larrivee, an L-03R which I love, but I'm in the market soon for an SD-60 SBT.  The wife tagged me with "Oubaas", which she laughingly dubbed me when the white in my whiskers gained dominance, but originally, "Oubaas" was her dog when she was growing up, LOL!

Oubaas 

If I'd have known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself!
bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 03:08:55 AM »

My wife is South African (sorta), does that count?  We live in China, though.

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 08:16:12 PM »

I'm not too concerned about who are the South_African connections really;- I'm merely curious/interested on whether peopled at home have the same exposure to quality instruments that most Larri owners on this forum have;- judging by the response obviously not. However, it is cool to be part of the international Larrivee family, and to be able to share points of view, and also to learn more about these incredible guitars.
I own a LV10E (B-Band) and an awesome SD-50E (I-mix) (both 2005 models)

Oubaas, you'might be interrested to know that the Vrystaat Cheetahs beat the Gauteng Goldens Lions in the Curriecup-final (rugby)

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 01:55:02 AM »

I'm not too concerned about who are the South_African connections really;- I'm merely curious/interested on whether peopled at home have the same exposure to quality instruments that most Larri owners on this forum have;- judging by the response obviously not.

You're right, from what I can tell.  Here (Beijing) there are three Larrivees that I know about.  All parlors and all brought in by the owners.  Hopefully, I'll increase the population by one within 6 months.

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 04:24:01 PM »

Mike, Tell me more about your (guitar) passion in China. Do you gig at all? Nice guitars you have there... My Walden GA was also made in China (Cedar/Indian Rosewood), it's got a Fishman Ellipse Mic/UST. I use it for praise & worship, and it works well, but not in the same league as the Larrivee's though...

bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 11:46:13 PM »

Thanks for asking!  I don't do much, but am starting to get requests.  I spent 30 years away from playing, so I'm in a funny situation (I think, anyway).  I was classically trained on the violin & trombone, and played other instruments as well.  I took up the guitar, but never was serious -- virtually all my friends were musicians and very, very good (well known names, even today) and I just didn't want to play badly.  Anyway, about 18 mos. ago, I started again.  Because the only people around that I knew played rock & often electric, I decided to play solo mostly (I only do acoustic).  And since I have ZERO confidence in my voice abilities, I don't do much of that (altho that could change).  So now I do some flatpicking, mostly fiddle tunes (some re-arranged to be a bit jazzy) or folk stuff as well as a bit of fingerpicking.  I've got about an hour's worth of material, maybe half of that quite good that people would be interested in hearing.  I'm getting ready to do some performing in front of small groups.  I've got the chance to study with Howard Emerson via video tapes & occasional visits, so once I get through my current schedule of stuff to learn (right now, Happy Traum's Fingerpicking DVD's) I'll start working on some of Howard's stuff.  That should give me a considerable repertoire to keep friends & family entertained.  BTW, I come from a very musical family so maybe its in my genes or something.  Anyway, I seem to learn quickly, even for an old guy! 

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
knight_lite_1974

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 09:36:33 AM »

It's been a while since I posted in here.  How could I let that subject line go ignored?  Greetings from a South African residing in the US.  Rugby World Cup Champions!  Viva Bokke!    

www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
American Series Custom Stratocaster
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 02:35:06 PM »

I didn't know Larrivee made guitars in South Africa......
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 05:38:14 PM »

Howzit Compatro!!! Where do you stay in the states? Yes, up the Bokkks! I know we shouldn't go political on this forum, but I guess that was the last true bok squad if you know what I mean. We had such a jol here at home, we braaied the skies blue!!! So tell me more about your music interests and your Larri's. I enjoy every moment I spend with mine; -truly great instruments!

knight_lite_1974

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 12:28:42 PM »

Howzit Compatro!!! Where do you stay in the states? Yes, up the Bokkks! I know we shouldn't go political on this forum, but I guess that was the last true bok squad if you know what I mean. We had such a jol here at home, we braaied the skies blue!!! So tell me more about your music interests and your Larri's. I enjoy every moment I spend with mine; -truly great instruments!

Hey daar ou pal!  I'm living in Indiana...been here just over 4 years now.  I'm actually in the process of determining if I'll be extending my stay here, or heading back to Cape Town in the future sometime.  Musically, I actually work as a worship pastor for a church here, so I'm big on the contemporary Christian worship tunes, and rock and folk type stuff in general...along with fingerstyle.  Starting to explore DADGAD tuning now.  Fun times.  I'm fortunate and grateful to own 2 Larry Jumbos as detailed in my signature...known to many as the increasingly rare and elusive Holy Grails of the Larry world.

Same questions to you boet.  Later.  Grant

www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2007, 02:54:27 PM »

Hey Grant!
I've played a few chords on Louis Brittz's JV-05 once, and I tell you, that axe sings like I couldn't believe. Louis is a local Christian artist who opened for Steven-Curtis Chapman on a show way back at TUKS University. I have actually been looking for one myself eversince, but as you probably know, they're scarce like "hoendertande". Anyway, I've given up on that, and got the SD-50 instead, which is also more focussed than the stock Dreads, and the wider neck particularly appealed to me. I'm part of a praise & worship band in Pretoria, and at practice last evening for a Christmas-carols event coming Sunday, I used the SD. I'm very pleased with it. Would still like to get hold of a good J-05 though... So what is the weather like in Indiana? All I know about Indy is that John Melencamp comes from there. (I'm a fan) We have the most gorgeous days in Pretoria - 25 to 30 degrees C, and plenty of rain for this time of summer.
Cheers tot later!!
Zohn 

John R

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 01:05:17 AM »

Can we pleeeeeeeze leave the rugby out of this post. Its a rather sore subject this side of the pond thank you very much. 

God is Good
Larrivee L09, L05, L05 MT, P 09, OM 03 MT 12 string
Hofner Committe Thin 1962
Musicman Albert Lee (blue)
ditto in red but hard tail
Silhouette Special
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2007, 05:47:53 PM »

Hey JohnR
Do you feel better now?  (After the Barbarians beat the Boks) I'm not too sure what your affiliation is. Please enlighten me!!! So what Larris do you play?

knight_lite_1974

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 01:42:52 AM »

So what is the weather like in Indiana?

At this point in time we are gearing to freeze our nether regions off.  Sub zero and lower is the order of the day.  I'll never get used to these Winters.  Having my car covered in icicles is just an offense to my religion.

www.grantcyster.com

Larrivee J-05 Jumbo
Taylor 815 Jumbo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: