Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G string intonation problems, rrrrggggh  (Read 984 times)
aaronjnoone

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2007, 03:26:18 AM »

Accidentally posted this in the wrong forum the first time-

To all:

Has anyone ever had problems with just one string not intonating?

On my LV05, the action is set perfectly, nice neck relief, intonation on all other strings is just right. But the G string is severely flat at the 12th. By severely I mean around 12-13 cents. To me, this is maddening at times. It starts going flat around the 7th and just gets worse all the way up. I tried bringing the contact point on the saddle closer in to sharpen it, but to no avail.

I need to get this guitar intonated soon, as I'm starting a cruise ship gig in January. For 4 months I'm going to be floating around the caribbean, playing EVERY night and I need my guitars to be perfect. My D03 is intonated perfectly on all strings, but that's not my main guitar, unfortunately.

Any advice based on personal experience is greatly appreciated. Conjecture and theory is also welcome.

Thanks,
Aaron

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 11:18:45 AM »

Other than checking the saddle and nut for correct positioning you may also want to have a look at the strings. If this has just happened after a new string change you may be experiencing a bad string. You may also want to experiment with a different gauge to see if that changes anything.

Ron

acoustic6

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 01:23:33 AM »

I just experienced this very thing the other day.  Just received an OMV-50 and after a day of the guitar always sounding out of tune realized that the intonation of the G string was way off.

After some worry that I'd have to have some saddle or nut work done I realized that the nut needed to be smoothed up in the G slot.  It had been binding enough that it had badly stretched out the string.  After having that done and restringing the guitar the intonation was spot on!  Seemed strange to me that only the G had the problem.

Make sure you're not getting any binding at the nut, use a little graphite from a mechanical pencil to lubricate the slots on the nut and restring it.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

1986 Larrivee L-05
aaronjnoone

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 01:34:13 AM »

Thanks for that, I'll check into it ASAP!

shout 'Freebird' one more time. see what happens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: