Parlor And Alternate Tunings

Started by APG, October 08, 2003, 04:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does anyone use their parlor much for alternate tunings? I am considering buying one for this purpose and was wondering about your experiences andset up of the guitar

Once in awhile I'll drop the low E to D, but that's about as far as I'm willing to go. Because they are short scale there really isn't much room to mess around here. Even with the drop D tuning, it tends to give the low string the sound of a washtub bass.

If I was going to experiment with alternate tunings, I would think that tuning up rather than down would be the way to go.

But I tend to treat my Parlour like a big Ukelele. (Just place a Capo on one of the higher frets and strum the Parlour. It will even sound like a very full-sounding Uke - and you don't mess with the tuning of a Uke!

Griff
Larrivée: LJ-10 Custom (Gryphon)
L-10-12 (Bell Tower)
Parlour Koa Special Edition (Sweet Baby)
Gibson: 1951 Southern Jumbo ('Tiger')

I use mine for alternate tunings, DGDGBD and regular tuning for the blues.  It sounds really good for either, love that rosewood tone! ;)
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Hello,

I'm new here and did my searching but this question is probably unique....

Anyone tune a parlor "terz" using extra light strings?  That would be up a minor third as G,C,F,Bb,D,G.  I've got a Martin 5-15 tuned this way and it makes a great sound but these were designed for this tuning.  I emailed Larrivee and they did not approve but I'm still curious.

I'd try it myself but haven't got a parlor yet.  

Thanks.