What Do You Consider "the Cadillac"

Started by Frederickmando, June 23, 2004, 08:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Some of us are fossils
Larrivee D60
Taylor 422 Maple
Delux Tele Plus

Lets see, Cadillac (mass produced in Detroit) for old farts and wanna be yuppies.
So that would be Martin.  Mass produced in Penn., for old fart blue grass pickers and wanna be's.
Taylor, the new kid from California.  New sound, play like an electric, mass production, cookie cutter looks and tone.  For those that dare to be different from the old school.  Infinity maybe?
Collings, the 1/2 ton, extended cab, 4 X 4, dusty Texas pick up truck that won't die on you.
Goodall, that's easy. Expensive, low production, hand made in an exotic land.  Very sexy, but can be a bit tempermental.  But if strummed just right makes the most beautiful music.  My Ducati!
ricks

Goodall
Martin
Collings
Larrivee

With all the small luthiers out thee now making some of the finest guitars ever...it's  tough call. There is the obvious..Ryan, Wingert, Olsen etc. I'd love to have one of each.....I have a couple of Goodalls that are absolutely wonderful guitars...but when it comes to bluegrass...out comes my Martin....I like Taylors and Larrivee also. I have a couple of those too....
Larrivee Satin Koa/Sitka Parlor...

Huss and Dalton or Rockbridge. Got to be hand made in Virginia. What? Me opinionated?  

For major manufacturers, my pick is the Martin OM-42. It has made converts to the OM body style of a lot of Dreadnaught fans.

For small builders, though I have no personal experience, many of the guys on the Martin board would agree with fitness's picks.
* Larrivee: Forum 3; Italian Spruce with Rosewood back and sides
* Martin: OM-42
* Martin: Custom Maury Meuhlheisen D-35
* Martin: 000-17 SM
* Emerald: X7/OS Custom
* Gibson: Les Paul

QuoteA better question might be: what's the Cadillac of cars?  I'm not sure its Cadillac any more.

E. Shoaf
I saw a Bently the other day, really nice.  I'd say that the Bently is the Cadillac of cars... :blink:  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

In my mind it would be Huss & Dalton.
Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M