Krauss and Plant - Raising Sand

Started by ducktrapper, October 30, 2007, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cool video, thanks for the link.
:cheers
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Great video...thanks for the heads up.  Going to buy that one for sure.  2 of my favorite musicians connected - didn't know about it at all until I heard I read it in this thread!  Nice!
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

Quote from: the creature on November 12, 2007, 08:27:44 PM
Recently picked up this one......

I'm enjoying the song 'Killing the Blues' in particular.  Krauss and Plant's voices work really well together.  I never would have dreamed up this collaboration, but I'm glad someone did.  Really good stuff. 

Me too.  Rowland Salley is a bit of an unsung hero, so it's nice to see him getting something out of this project.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Killing the Blues  :thumb

My wife heard the song this morning for the first time.  She's not much for music, can take or leave most that I like - she liked this song right away.  Good chilled out album overall.  Great recommendation!

Justin
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

Found a copy in a Tucson AZ coffeshop this morning.
Opened the sunroof on the Mazda and played it all the way to
the Mandolin Store in Wickenburg.

Nice and different.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

Just got a copy on Friday and have played it twice. Different by cool.  :+1:

To listen to the complete CD online, go to the following site:

http://www.robertplantalisonkrauss.com/site.php  (click "LISTEN TO ALBUM" on the top left corner)

then go out and buy a copy. ;-)

Alison Krauss and Union Station are one of my favourites (check out their Live concert DVD)
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

Sorry, listened to some samples on Amazon.com and I didnt like it. Its Robert not Allison. I really think Robert is a very overated singer IMHO. The only album of his I like is the one with "Big Log" (Principle of Moments? ) He came out with some very refreshing material  right after Zeppelin, but I can't listen to his voice for too long now. 

The song samples I've heard are tasty except for 'Gone, Gone, Gone'.  That one is a terribly written song, but for whatever reason, it's the one getting major airplay on the only station in Detroit that will play such stuff.

I saw Allison Krauss and Union Station here at the Fisher theatre back in July.  It was superb.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 17, 2007, 05:37:35 AM
The song samples I've heard are tasty except for 'Gone, Gone, Gone'.  That one is a terribly written song, but for whatever reason, it's the one getting major airplay on the only station in Detroit that will play such stuff.

Yeh I saw the music video on CMT. I guess the reason it gets the airplay is because it's a catchy feel-good song.

Here's a terrible quality version...
[youtube=425,350]eYZhjLrSbUw[/youtube]

I have to agree that it's a goofy song, and if you just listen to the words I can't believe that it even got serious consideration, much less put on a good record.  But.... it is catchy and "fun", even though it's goofy, so it works in a strange way.

I think that's an old Everly Brothers song from the early late 50's   They weren't known for their meaningful, thought-provoking lyrics.   It's certainly got that 50s feel to it.

Anyone who can find fault with this CD is either totally hard hearted or liked Pirates of the Caribbean, At Wit's ... er ... World's End.  :humour:

Just got a message that my copy shipped today, can't wait.

Did anyone catch Plant/Krauss on CMT's Crossroads last night?  It was a really great show, but I wish they'd have played more from the album than they did.  I thought it was strange that Plant did a solo version of "The Boy Who Wouldn't Hoe Corn" and Krauss did "The Levy's Going to Break" solo.  I get what they were trying to do by mixing it up like that, but I really didn't care for either one of those songs in the styles they did them in.  I really wanted to see them play "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" and "Killing the Blues", but they did neither.  But that normally happens each time I watch a show like that; they never play what I want to hear.  Anyway, I did like the show.  I can't believe Plant can still sing so well. 
:thumbsup

I caught the last two minutes. I was ticked, something actually interesting on TV and I miss it  :rolleye: I'm sure they'll replay it a few times though.

actaully I think you can watch the whole thing on CMT's site
http://www.cmt.com/shows/dyn/cmt_crossroads/127935/episode.jhtml

look under 'featured videos'

I watched the CMT show, and just wished Alison would have wailed on When the Levee Breaks.  She sounded like a backup singer on most of the duets, and she has a much more powerful voice than that.  The accompanying music was kinda wailing at times, and I just was waiting for Alison to break out of her box, and howl some blues.
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

I'm off to hear them June 4th at Mohegan Sun.......

Quote from: Marc Jean-Michel on April 24, 2008, 09:33:00 PM
I'm off to hear them June 4th at Mohegan Sun.......

Sounds like fun. Could you heckle Plant about a Zeppelin tour?   

Quote from: skinny on November 20, 2007, 09:43:45 PM
Sorry, listened to some samples on Amazon.com and I didnt like it. Its Robert not Allison. I really think Robert is a very overated singer IMHO. The only album of his I like is the one with "Big Log" (Principle of Moments? ) He came out with some very refreshing material  right after Zeppelin, but I can't listen to his voice for too long now. 
Sounds like we're in the minority but I'm with you. I like Plants singing with zep or other bluesy things that fit him. He has a wonderfully expressive unique voice but to me limited in what styles he can apply it too. Allison sounded great on every song, Plant only on a couple that fit him. It's like doing a duet with a concert grand piano and an old honky tonk. I prefer a gutsy sound and feel but when you put it next to a rolls royce of vocals or worse yet, try to make it a rolls royce it don't work.
It could work for me if they picked the songs to fit him. She can sing anything. (I'm not a big fan of hers for this reason, she's too good and pure in tone,  :?  I like a rougher edge with bluegrass. Certainly appreciate her)
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.