Krauss and Plant - Raising Sand

Started by ducktrapper, October 30, 2007, 03:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oh this just gets better and better with each listen! Whodathunkit? Four stars! A must! Just run out and buy it already!  :thumbsup

Everyone's raving about it over on The Gear Page.  Looks like the surprise hit of the year.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

I've been listening to it while I polish my Ami. It is surprisingly good; I thought it would be weak and too novel but the songs have some weight to them. I like 'Killing the Blues' and 'Stick with me Baby'. I will say I wish Plant didn't always have his voice produced to sound so airy.

Haven't got a copy yet, but am looking forward to it.  The samples I've heard sound great. 

I've ordered a copy on good old vinyl and it should be on its way to me now.  Apart from the two singers, I was attracted by the line-up of guitarists on the album - Norman Blake, Marc Ribot and Justin Adams.  What a trio of interesting and different instrumentalists!
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

The slide player, Greg Liez (Sp.) makes a big impact too.

Quote from: Parlor Picker on October 31, 2007, 04:18:13 AM
I've ordered a copy on good old vinyl and it should be on its way to me now.  Apart from the two singers, I was attracted by the line-up of guitarists on the album - Norman Blake, Marc Ribot and Justin Adams.  What a trio of interesting and different instrumentalists!

Parlor Picker
I hope you're not dissapointed when you get the record.  If you're looking forward to hearing Justin Adams he doesn't appear anywhere in the credits or photos. 
As for Norman Blake he is credited with the acoustic guitar on only one track.  The bulk of the guitar work is by Ribot with a big helping of T Bone Burnett thrown in on many of the cuts.
That's not to say that this isn't an excellent cd anyway, no matter who is playing.
I bought this cd based on the post by Ducktrapper and I had no idea what to expect.  This is a most interesting and diverse CD worthy of the praise it's been receiving.

Ducktrapper is correct, Gregory Leisz adds some very tasteful pedal steel on a few cuts as well.

One surprise was the 2nd song "Killing the Blues" which I had always thought John Prine wrote since it's on one of his recent cds.  Apparently it was written by Rowland Salley.   Anyway  Plant and Krauss are at their best in my opinion on that song.

Go get this and listen up.  Try not to start it over again when it gets to the end.  I dare you.

It just arrived and I've played one LP so far.  Great album.  Funny about Justin Adams - I read somewhere he played on the recordings.  Anyway, I just love Marc Ribot's unusual style(s).

Highly recommended to all lovers of good music.

I think Norman Blake plays mando on the record.  At least I think I read that somewhere. 

Quote from: the creature on November 01, 2007, 05:42:03 PM
I think Norman Blake plays mando on the record.  At least I think I read that somewhere. 

That's what I was thinking. I bet the last track is the one he plays flat top on. I downloaded in on napster so I don't have the linear notes and stuff.

Quote from: jeremy3220 on November 01, 2007, 07:32:31 PM
That's what I was thinking. I bet the last track is the one he plays flat top on. I downloaded in on napster so I don't have the linear notes and stuff.
I saw somewhere (the label's website, I think) a photo of all the musicians in the studio posing with Plant and Alison.  Blake was seated with one of his old flattop mandos. I really like the way he plays mandolin. 

Quote from: the creature on November 01, 2007, 08:04:20 PM
I saw somewhere (the label's website, I think) a photo of all the musicians in the studio posing with Plant and Alison.  Blake was seated with one of his old flattop mandos. I really like the way he plays mandolin. 

I've got the CD cover and insert in front of me as I write this.   I can tell you that Norman Blake is listed on two songs:   Acoustic Guitar on "Nothin" and also Acoustic Guitar  on "Your Long Journey.  He isn't credited on any of the other songs.  There is a photo in the insert which shows him holding a Gibson Mandolin (probably the photo you saw on the label's website) but he isn't credited with Mandolin on any songs.  In fact there is no mention of mandolin in the credits although it mentions autoharp and banjo by Mike Seeger and Riley Baugus respectively.  I suppose it could be an oversight or perhaps he worked on the sessions but some of his stuff didn't make it on the final mix.  Either scenario is hard to imagine, huh ?

Quote from: tuffythepug on November 01, 2007, 09:15:21 PM
I've got the CD cover and insert in front of me as I write this.   I can tell you that Norman Blake is listed on two songs:   Acoustic Guitar on "Nothin" and also Acoustic Guitar  on "Your Long Journey.  He isn't credited on any of the other songs.  There is a photo in the insert which shows him holding a Gibson Mandolin (probably the photo you saw on the label's website) but he isn't credited with Mandolin on any songs.  In fact there is no mention of mandolin in the credits although it mentions autoharp and banjo by Mike Seeger and Riley Baugus respectively.  I suppose it could be an oversight or perhaps he worked on the sessions but some of his stuff didn't make it on the final mix.  Either scenario is hard to imagine, huh ?
Weird.  Is there actually any mando content on the record?  I haven't heard enough to say for sure, but seeing that pic led me to believe that he played the thing he was holding in the photo. 

I really do need to get this record soon....

I picked this up the day it came into the stores.
A few weeks ago Public Radio had a great interview with these two on the Sunday Weekend program. They did have the audio file on the NPR web site. It was amazing--really a must listen.
Great thread, DT and everyone! :nana_guitar
--Fred

In a similar vein, if you like K and P, you might want to try The Greencards - Viridian. I saw them open for Dylan two years ago and the latest CD is very good. 

Quote from: ducktrapper on November 06, 2007, 03:51:45 PM
In a similar vein, if you like K and P, you might want to try The Greencards - Viridian. I saw them open for Dylan two years ago and the latest CD is very good. 

Yes this is good too.   Note that this album (Viridian)  is available for downloading on E-music.com if you are a member.

Recently picked up this one......

I'm enjoying the song 'Killing the Blues' in particular.  Krauss and Plant's voices work really well together.  I never would have dreamed up this collaboration, but I'm glad someone did.  Really good stuff. 

This is one of those weird combos that works incredibly well. I would never have bought this cd but I heard a few tracks on a radio show on NPR one evening (the hosts also talked about the cd); I was hooked right away. I rarely buy contemporary cds, but this one gets better with each listen. 
Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3

The UK branch of Amazon has a video lasting about 8 minutes, featuring Plant, Krauss and producer/guitarist T-Bone Burnett:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raising-Robert-Plant-Alison-Krauss/dp/B000V017TC

Quote from: Parlor Picker on November 13, 2007, 04:27:19 AM
The UK branch of Amazon has a video lasting about 8 minutes, featuring Plant, Krauss and producer/guitarist T-Bone Burnett:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Raising-Robert-Plant-Alison-Krauss/dp/B000V017TC

thanks  :thumb
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519