Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin OMCXK2E  (Read 1623 times)
Yurinaut

Ignore
« on: October 23, 2007, 05:45:40 PM »

Has anyone played one of these? I am in the market for a parlor guitar or a thin body and it's coming down to a used P-01 rosewood Larrivee or this (new) Martin. The body depth of the Martin is 4 1/8' and the parlor is 4" but the scale is longer on the Martin. Of course it has electronics and it's made of HPL so it will be a bit tougher to damage (not that I'm rough on guitars, it's just a point for it). I searched on YouTube for something on the OMCXK2E and got one hit. It sure does sound nice plugged in but, I don't know if I'll use it for that much. At least at this time. I was looking for something that was easy to pluck off the wall instead of getting out my LV-05E every time and something a bit smaller/thinner to play.

Any Opinions?

Thanks,
Mike

Larrivee LV-05E
Martin 00CXAEBlack
La Patrie Concert Classical
Harmony Archtone Archtop (glued and screwed)
Gibson Melody Maker (dual pickup - Vintage Sunburst)
http://caliberguitars.com/Guitar/Larrivee
mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:36:02 AM »

I own an LX2K, which has it's own unique sound. I bought for travel and for when a I need to be out in the cold for a long time with a guitar. (Long story, don't ask! )

If unplugged sound is your main concern, the P-01 seems to me to be the choice. A parlour is a lot smaller than an OM and has 12 frets vs. 14 frets clear. I don't know if that's a consideration. Is there a chance to play them side by side??

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
Yurinaut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 11:54:26 AM »

Size is definitely a consideration. The Martin is classified as an OM but they say it's actually an OOO size (strange). They also don't really provide bout widths and depth on their site so I ended up having to call them. I do like the XK2E but I think size has won out for me. The 12/14 fret thing isn't an issue since I don't get that high up on the board (yet!). I believe I struck a deal with another forum member last night to buy his P-01 Rosewood so, this particular Martin is going to have to wait its turn.

Anyway, I do still like the idea of the OMCXK2E since it adheres to the 1 3/4 nut width and is a nice smaller than dred body with nice electrics. It would probably be a great gig guitar since you can bang it around a little and not get to worked up about it. Thanks for the input and try and stay out of the cold is you can!

-Mike

Larrivee LV-05E
Martin 00CXAEBlack
dermot

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 01:45:28 AM »

The Martin is classified as an OM but they say it's actually an OOO size (strange). They also don't really provide bout widths and depth on their site so I ended up having to call them

The 14 fret Martin 000 & an OM are the same body size
most 14 fret Martin 000 above the 18 series have 5/8" straight braceing, 1&11/16's nut & short scale
most Martin OM's above the 18 series have 1/4" scalloped bracing 1&3/4 nut & long scale
most Martin 000's & OM below the 16 series like the OMCXK2E have the same "A" frame braceing, the major diffrence is the nut & bridge width

i did say "most" as some sig's and similar vary

and the 12 fret 000 is a very diffrent animal, be it Martin -or- Larrivee

and as you asked.... might want to try to play a Larrivee used OM03 before buying either a P01 or a OMCXK2E....

can't lose with any of them tho, all good, diffrent but all can make good music in your hands

Ta,

d.

Yurinaut

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 01:43:07 PM »

Wow. That's a wealth of info dermot. Glad to hear that former NASA employees are working for Martin ( ).

I ended up getting a rosewood parlor (arrived yesterday) but, I still haven't shaken the but of this Martin or an OM. The budget dictates so, I may have to sit tight for a short while until I figure out what I can sell to make that happen.

thanks for the info though. It's nice to know there actually is a methodology for Martin's sizings.

-Mike

Larrivee LV-05E
Martin 00CXAEBlack
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: