What is your favorite non-Larrivee guitar

Started by Walkerman, October 23, 2007, 09:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Right now my Gibson Vintage AJ,BUT my Guild JF30 is a very close 2nd.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: unclrob on October 23, 2007, 10:27:00 PM

unclrob
Is the JF30 an American made or GAD like mine ?

When I'm not playing my L-09 MR (which isn't often), I pull out my H&D TDMA. My original dream guitar was a Collings D2HA, but when I compared the H&D with all the guitars in the shop, including a D1A, a CW (IRW & Adi), and a couple of R Taylors as well, the H&D won hands down! Now it's the neglected child :blush:

John
2007 L-09 MR 12th Fret 30th Anniversary Ltd Ed
2006 Huss & Dalton TDMA
1977 Takamine F395s (Guild 12-string copy)

After my Larrivée Parlor, it has to be my (Gibson) Kalamazoo Oriole KGN-12 which is a ladder-braced maple guitar with a spruce top modelled on the LG-00.  It's a great guitar for blues fingerpicking with great definition of the individual strings but without sounding too "mean".  It had been dated at 1942, but the serial number would seem to indicate it might actually be 1941.  Whatever, I think Gibson only made that model from 1940-42 iincl.  Photos can be viewed at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/parlorpicker/sets/72157601123113490/

Apart from various 00 and 000 Larris, I lust after a similar sized instrument from Santa Cruz or Collings.  Having said that, a luthier friend has a half-finished rosewood 00, but he's taking ages over it.
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

Quote from: unclrob on October 23, 2007, 10:27:00 PM

I agree with Rob on the Gibson and the Guild. I am lucky to have an AJ and a D-40 Guild. The AJ kind of combines the best of Gibson and a little bit of a Martin sound. But, my heart thumps when I pick up the Collings C-10 I acquired earlier this spring.
I've never met a Guild I didn't like--it doesn't matter where or when they were made, there is a sound to a Guild that is unique.

Quote from: JR on October 24, 2007, 01:12:46 AM
I pull out my H&D TDMA. My original dream guitar was a Collings D2HA, but when I compared the H&D with all the guitars in the shop, including a D1A, a CW (IRW & Adi), and a couple of R Taylors as well, the H&D won hands down!

The H&D TDMA is my current dream guitar. The first H&D I ever played was a TOM-A with beeswing mahogany.  It was one of the best-sounding guitars I'd ever heard, looked like a million bucks, and felt like it weighed a couple of ounces.  At the time, though, I was convinced I needed a dread.  I'm now to a point where I only hit myself in the head once or twice a day for passing it up. 
2007 Martin 000-28 Norman Blake
2006 Larrivee L-03WL
2004 Tacoma DM9
2004 Cordoba 30
1993 Stratocaster Deluxe Plus
1979 Les Paul Custom

You mean that I own? My Yamaha red tag FG180! 

Just put a Colosi bone saddle and some ebony bridge pins in my Martin 000-15S....man I loved it before making these mods but wow!  I love this guitar to bits!  The L-03 is still a favorite but is it ever nice to have two guitars that can do most anything you want them to....

I buffed out the satin finish and took off the pickguard within days of getting it...only thing left to do now is to find some nice open gear tuners and take off those Schallers they use on this model.  Not that they are bad tuners, they are excellent, but I think a nice set of Grover Sta-Tites would look a whole lot nicer...

Tuff the Guild is an American made.I've played a lot of factory seconds from China and all have been great.One of my buds has the Chinesse Jumbo like yours and its a great guitar.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

My OM/PW has the sound!

I'm a big fan of the SCGC people; they really know there stuff. They consider the effects of everything put into making a guitar from kerf linings to top thickness.

Here's a cool video from the 2007 Summer NAMM show.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/video/playvideo.aspx?videoname=SummerNamm/AG_Summer_NAMM_Santa_Cruz

AG has more, including Jean.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/LEVELTWO/SummerNAMMVideoGallery-472.aspx

Jeremy, I am with you on the SCGC people. Excellent geetar builders, plus they have customer service in mind when they sell an instrument.
I just wish my OM/PW was mahogany at times. I am growing away from rosewood. It must be planets or the penguins Unclrob fears! :roll

Quote from: ducktrapper on October 24, 2007, 09:37:09 AM
Denis - That looks very sweet! Nice work.

Thanks Duck.  That's an older picture though the ebony bridge pins I got have the abalone dots...in the photo is't still the old white plastic ones.  That photo was also taken before I took a little Meguiars' polish to it so it's a bit shinier than that now as well.  It's amazing how much the grain will just pop out when you buff out a satin finish.  I did the back and sides on the L-03 a while ago but still have to do the top....next string change!

Here lately, it's been my Taylor 355. Easily the best-sounding, easiest-palying 12 banger I've ever owned.

Tom
'73 Gibson Hummingbird,'98 Ovation Std. Balladeer, '99 Martin 000-1, '00 Taylor 355, '01 Larrivee Parlor, MIM P-bass, '06 Rainsong AWS-1000

A too close to call toss up between the Eastman 810CE and the latest entry the PAVAN TP30. I picked up the Pavan since I was sans nylon and just began Brazilian guitar classes a couple of months ago. It is not only excellent for the Brazilian tunes, but it inspire me to start (re)learning the Brouwer etudes I hadn't looked at since the early 70's.

My 1955 Martin D18.  It's pictured here with me,  along with my 1973 D18S

Hear it here.  http://h1.ripway.com/woody%20b/music/Guitar%20demos/1955D18.mp3

It's my newest guitar; a Taylor GS-8:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Acoustic/GS/GS8/
I have the sunburst finish and it's the guitar I've been "going to" at the moment.
I alternate between it, my Larrivee D-03R, and my 1963 Gibson J-45.

It's too difficult to choose just one . . .
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Quote from: Roman on October 25, 2007, 07:16:26 AM
It's too difficult to choose just one . . .

Boy, I agree with that, but I would have to say my Martin custom 0018-VS