Won a Kustom Dart 66 amp

Started by mannish, October 20, 2007, 10:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just found out that I won a Kustom Dart 66 amp through a drawing at a local music store.  Does anyone have any experience with this amp?  Is it any good?  I have been trying to research it on the internet and can't tell if it is a tube amp or solid state.  Anyone know the answer to that question? 

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.  I have a Larrivee SD-50 with a Fishman Matrix Natural output through a Fishman GII pre-amp.  Wondering if I use the Kustom amp with my current set up if it will sound decent. 

Thanks, Mannish
Webber Roundbody Rosewood/Englemann 2001
Martin OO-15c Custom  Mahogany/Sitka 2014

Congrats on the giveaway!  I'm pretty sure that's a small, solid-state amp and intended for electrics rather than acoustics.  I believe it has a very small speaker (maybe 6"?), so it's not going to be a big powerhouse amp, and most likely not nearly clean or uncolored enough for use with your Larrivee.....but it could still be fun for around the house for some electric noodling.  :smile:  Or maybe the shop would let you trade the new value of it toward an acoustic amp?

Here's the scoop on the amp from Kustom's website:

http://www.kustom.com/news/30_August_2006_40Anniversay.asp

Like the previous poster said, it's an electric guitar amp and won't have the right tone for an acoustic - but it could be a fun electric guitar amplifier.  Can't hurt to have it in the stable.

I've heard the acoustic amps from Kustom and they are pretty nice and natural sounding with the right mic or pickup.  I think Kustom gets a bum rap, actually.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud