Problem with the D strings and a bit of problem with the low E

Started by Danny K, October 20, 2007, 05:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi,
My guitar is a 2004 LV-03R.
I've been noticing for a while that my D string buzzes,  I thought it was the string I had on it at the time (Elixir), but when I replaced the strings today I noticed it still buzzes (when played open to the fifth fret).
My low E buzzes slightly when played in that area, not as bad as the D string.

How do I repair this problem :?

Thanks, Dan

Do you have a bone saddle from Larrivee in it or do you still have the tusq?

I purchased a bone saddle when I bought the guitar, I replaced the tusq saddle with the bone saddle shortly after I received the guitar  (The guitar was new when I bought it).

To replace the nut: How do I and where is the best place to purchase it?

I believe it was made by Larrivee, it was sent by Jason, with the guitar.

I received the guitar and nut in December of 2004 or January of 2005.

This problem with the D string did not exist until about a few months ago.

oh, well it may not be the problem but Larrivee in the past has made bone saddle that were flatter than what they should be. If you still have the tusq you may want to compare the radius.

However my 5th and 4th strings are always the first to give me problems. You should check your neck relief if it's only the first few frets buzzing.
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

You should research frets.com; if you can't find your answer there then you will probably have to take in to tech anyway.

I have now noticed that it is not only the open string and the first 5 frets on that string, it buzzes further up, but less, the further up the fretboard.  I am the one who installed it, to my recollection, it needed to be sanded slightly (that was almost 3 years ago, I don't remember it well).

I know I adusted the truss rod until it was set up to the way I wanted the neck.  There was a problem, which i do not recall, for which I took it to a tech, and he adjusted things.  That was about 1 1/2 years ago.

Is my thought that the problem may be the nut a possibility or am I looking in the wrong area?

Quote from: Danny K on October 21, 2007, 07:04:24 PM

Is my thought that the problem may be the nut a possibility or am I looking in the wrong area?

wrong area I think; after you fret a note on that string it doesn't matter how low the nut is. There's a few things I can think of that may be the problem... If the guitar gets dry the action can lower. Also maybe your playing harder now (it's possible). String brand/guage changes can also efffect the action.

Yes, I probably do play more aggressive than I did last year.  The choir I am in is an unplugged acoustic group with singers that have volume.  And the rhythm guitars (mahogany), have more punch than my Rosewood guitar.

I am having the problem with the D and low E strings even when they are played softly.  :SHK>

i am having a similiar problem and was told by a luthier that the neck developed a back bow. the retailer subsequently told me it developed because I used extra light strings. He changed the strings to lights instead and said the buzz would go away shortly. I'm waiting to see what happens.

If I were you, I'd just take it to a good repair tech and get the guitar set up. 

There are several possible causes for the buzzing.  If you want to try and do it yourself, If you go to frets.com.  Go here:   http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/pagelist.html

and scroll down to the instrument setup section.

There are several good articles on setting up the guitar.  I would first check the neck relief.  It sounds like your truss rod may need to be adjusted (particulary since you said it didn't use to buzz).  If the neck relief is OK, or you still are getting buzzing after adjusting the truss rod, check the action at the 12th fret.  Your saddle may be too flat.  I always found that Bob Colosi's saddles worked great with Larrivee's.  www.guitarsaddles.com  This was the cure for me a few times with the Larrivees that I owned, but as I said, I would check the neck relief 1st.

The Frets.com website also shows how to check the nut.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

Thanks Bing,
The sites you emailed are great!       It very much appears the nut is too low in places. 
I have no idea how to remove the present nut and install a new one, or Where can I should buy a new Bone Nut for my Larrivee.

I realize taking it to a tech would be easiest and possibly better, but that is not possible for me.

After reading Bing and Jason's replys to my letter, I see I must find a way to take it to a tech.

Daniel, You most likely need a setup adjustment.  I would not attempt
to change the nut yourself, it is not a simple job.  If the guitar was
fine for the first few years, and is now buzzing, it is most likely
overdue for a setup and truss rod adjustment.  Typically an acoustic guitar
will need an adjustment once or twice a year. 

Jason C. Brantley
Notable Guitars
www.notableguitars.com
1-866-553-8794 Toll Free
1-406-868-4586

I agree with the recomendation for a set-up. First you should settle on a string you want to use and then get it set-up with that string, if you change string brands or guage the tension can change and the neck can change too.

If you can't find a tech, UnclRob's belt sander can cure just about anything ailing a guitar.  :humour:
SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes