Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best blues guitar under a grand?  (Read 8802 times)
Guia

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2007, 09:00:46 PM »

The best guitar for blues, under $1000?  That is easy "USED", I would recommend one with a wider nut, its easier to bend the strings.  Find a good deal on a Gibson L1.

Larrivee OM-10 (KOA)
Gibson J-45 (KOA)
Guild D-55
bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2007, 12:33:38 AM »

That's fair; buy (and play) what you like.  Nevertheless, its a very unusual 000-16SGT that's over US$1,000 used.  Usually, $850 on the low end up to about $1,000.

I'd agree, at least by reputation, the Gibson L-00 must be a great blues guitar.  I've never played one, but look forward to it.  Are you thinking of the X-braced or the ladder braced version?  I understand you can find versions of both.  Also, for about the same price as a good example of the Gibsons, you could buy a new custom-made Greven L00v, which is a fantastic guitar (again, by rep -- I haven't played one).  Of course, it costs you over 3 grand, I think.

I still like my Larrivee parlor for blues & fingerpicking, but it wasn't under a grand either.

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2007, 09:45:43 PM »

Johnson solid wood 000 models can be had for 400-600 with case. Sound great, play well, if you can get past the made in China label.
ElJefe

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2007, 01:14:24 AM »

Maybe Albert said it best in Adventures in Babysitting.

http://tinyurl.com/ynnbeh

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
Queequeg
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2007, 02:39:39 PM »

Points taken, all.  Even if I chased down several examples of marketing hype in ads etc. for a "blues guitar" it wouldn't satisfy my critics.  To ignore that there is marketing hype, and that we've not all fell for it a time or two, is a bit naive IMO. The main point I've ever tried to make in these kinds of threads is that people don't need to wait till they have the "perfect" guitar to make the music they want.  Often times the instrument is not the problem anyway. Yes, if you have a guitar that's painful to play, get one that is comfortable, etc. The best thing has always been to just go play guitars and forget what's on the headstock or what the great players use and find what works for you. 

love,
the creature

Well stated. And an argument I personally can embrace.
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2007, 11:18:28 PM »

As the guy who started this post, I've got to say how surprised I was with some of the strong opinions, and what appeared to be cautionary advice around larger issues of obsession and acquisition. As I processed this, it struck me that this debate could somehow be extrapolated to larger questions with respect to rampant  North American materialism, substituting spirituality for stuff  (guitars, cars, plasma tv's,  houses, whatever). I really had to re-evaluate my own situation - as the owner of six guitars, I've gotta say that the whole "blues guitar" business was more or less an exercise in rationalization in order to justify buying just one more guitar. The reality is, I'm more than covered in my "blues guitar" needs, and, yes, it's true that   every thing I need I've already got. I've had  real epiphany over this - the best blues guitar is the one you've got in your hand.

Now, can anybody recommend a good celtic guitar for under a grand?   
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2007, 12:08:39 AM »

"I've had  real epiphany over this - the best blues guitar is the one you've got in your hand."

When you can't be with the one you love, Beat the one you're with.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2007, 06:14:32 AM »

Now, can anybody recommend a good celtic guitar for under a grand?   
stubby -- I'm afraid the only way to get the answer to this mystery is to rush out and buy as many of those Celtic Music compilation discs packaged in green that you can find at Wal Mart. Then after you're done there, get all the DVD performances of "Celtic Woman" that you can find....come to think of it, get the Riverdance stuff as well --- all of it...t-shirt included.  After many hours of this you'll need a shower, so wash up really good with Irish Spring soap.  Follow the shower with a Guiness...or three.  You should have your answer after these steps, if carefully followed. 

bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2007, 07:36:04 AM »

Follow the shower with a Guiness...or three.

All good advice, except for the Guiness.  Kilkenny is preferable!  They're smoother, so you can get four down before you realize what you've done. 

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.
billchivers

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2007, 08:25:16 AM »

The last four posts - brilliant!

Larrivee OM-03R 2007
Aria Classical mid 1960s Model A550 S/No 83
Fender Stratocaster 2000
ElJefe

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2007, 02:46:47 PM »

"Want what you have"

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
LarryDelux

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2007, 08:15:47 PM »

A 00 or 000 body would do fine, short scale. I would definitely not get a 000-15S Martin, as someone mentioned. I think a short scale would give you the feel you want for playing blues and bending notes, vibrato etc.. At the end of the day, a blues player can and will play the blues on...anything!

Pleased to own OM-10MR, OM-50TSB, JCL, L-09LE
piscator

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2007, 08:10:09 AM »

Creature, that was both brilliant and fun.  Hope you get to the Dostoevsky, given the outlook you put forward so well, Brother's Karamov, it seems to me, must have been written for you! :-)  Now I'm going to eat my "milky way bar" and go to bed 

Stubby, you've got a great metaphore going!  If you can get endowment funding, it's a "think tank" or a thesis -- e.g. "Bourgouis guitar selection, materialism, and the Decline of Western Civiilization" -- Without funding, it's a 'blue song' -- e.g. "Mama gotta stop,them Borgouis blues..."

Kidding aside, thought provoking comment from both of you, thanks!  Piscator

Larrivee OM3R
Larrivee Rosewood Parlor
notegoing

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2007, 05:34:11 PM »

I played a Guild GAD-30R last night at Long & Mcquade. OM size with 1 3/4" neck. Smallish light fun to play. Really nice palm muting thump. Nice. Under  $1000.

Bill 
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2007, 02:09:49 AM »

Quote from Eljefe: "Want what you have".

Eljefe, I've seen pictures of your guitars. As a matter of fact,  I do want what you have.
ElJefe

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2007, 12:48:50 PM »

Quote from Eljefe: "Want what you have".

Eljefe, I've seen pictures of your guitars. As a matter of fact,  I do want what you have.

Stubby:  That's why I have Sweetie the Boston Terrier ("guard dog")
Only problem is she would lick you to death if you gave her a biscuit and then
she would help you carry out the guitars.

Here is my Bluesy OM1 and Sweetie looking for a warm spot
to lay down and rest her old bones.

Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>
bogie

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2007, 06:44:04 PM »

That's a great looking OM1, I wasn't aware that there were any bursts or was yours a custom order?

FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas
woody b

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2007, 12:22:59 AM »

Clean shiny guitars can't play the blues.
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »

Clean shiny guitars can't play the blues.

YIKES

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
NevadaPic

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2007, 01:44:23 AM »

"... the best blues guitar is the one you've got in your hand."
  Amen.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: