Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best blues guitar under a grand?  (Read 8824 times)
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 10:08:30 PM »

Holy cow, when I started this post, I would never have predicted controversy. Seemed like a pretty innocuous and fun topic. To set the record straight, I'm not someone with unrealistic fantasies about how having just the right guitar will somehow make me a better player. I do, however, appreciate variety, and given my pattern over recent years, am probably about 3 or 4 months away from buying another guitar. Since acoustic blues is one of my main interests, I thought it would be interesting to hear other opinions.  Based on replies, hog top looks like the way to go. Being left handed, however, one may be hard to come by.

Creature and Tycho, I get your point, to a point. Yes, you don't need 8 different guitars to play 8 different genres. And buying your guitar hero's signature model sure won't make you sound like him. At the same time, if I want to play fiddle tunes on guitar, I'll go for my Martin every time. If I want to play bottleneck/alt tuning, I'll go to my resonator. I don't see why it's an issue to want to use whatever instrument lends itself to a specific genre. At this particular point in time, yeah, I'm interested in, but not obsessing, over a "blues guitar". A harmless diversion. 

joopie

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 10:32:15 PM »

Based on replies, hog top looks like the way to go. Being left handed, however, one may be hard to come by.

not at all - i think bluesman67 is lookin' to sell his forum guitar- he's not diggin' it... 

actually, you caused more than a contraversy- you got me lookin' at guitars (not good...  drool)-
and i came across a used martin 000-15S for a screamin' deal and, well, i bought it!
soooooooo, now i've got some story tellin' to do w/ the wife - you dog!

, R. (alternatetoonin'right?)

OM-18V
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2007, 10:36:32 PM »

Creature and Tycho, I get your point, to a point. Yes, you don't need 8 different guitars to play 8 different genres. And buying your guitar hero's signature model sure won't make you sound like him. At the same time, if I want to play fiddle tunes on guitar, I'll go for my Martin every time. If I want to play bottleneck/alt tuning, I'll go to my resonator. I don't see why it's an issue to want to use whatever instrument lends itself to a specific genre. At this particular point in time, yeah, I'm interested in, but not obsessing, over a "blues guitar". A harmless diversion. 

Fair enough. I was offering some different perspective, nothing more, nothing less.  The fact that the usual suspects jumped in with their _personal attacks_ changes nothing.  I never actually made a personal attack, but offered some input, unpopular though it may be.  

From what I've seen, guys who play guitar are worse than women in a shoe store.  They want this one in this color, this one in this style, etc. Over time people convince themselves that they *need* all of that stuff, but it all just boils down to getting more toys.  

If you want a "blues guitar" that's cool; I still say there is no such thing, but that's my take.  The important thing is to enjoy whatever you get and make great music on it.  

bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 12:23:01 AM »

no amount of gear will ever make you sound exactly like Tony Rice

Especially Tony Rice playing the blues which, AFAIK, he's never done, at least in public.

Lynn:

I saw that 00-50! I look at it at least twice a week.  Unfortunately, no money after two other guitars this year.  And I couldn't get it into the house safely after I successfully got the P-10MQ into the music room. 

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 04:32:01 AM »

Based on replies, hog top looks like the way to go. 

I'd say definitely so in the Larrivee realm but not always in other guitars. Larrivee's are more modern voiced guitars, most of those old 'blues guitars' are dry woodsy and can bite and honk when you need it; the hog tops take some of that pleasant balanced sparkly sound out of the Larrivee's and help replace it with the previously mentioned characteristics to a certain extent.
In other guitars those characteristic can be present despite the tonewoods. For instance my OM/PW sounds more old timey than the Larrivee due to the pre-war Martin style build. So remember, there's a lot more to it than just the tone woods. In fact I don't know of any of those blues guys who used a hog top, most had spruce topped guitars. I still think a Larrivee OM-MT sounds closer to something like Mance Lipscomb's spruce top Silvertone than a spruce topped Larrivee OM does. That's my opinion anyway.

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 12:53:45 PM »

Fair enough. I was offering some different perspective, nothing more, nothing less.  The fact that the usual suspects jumped in with their _personal attacks_ changes nothing.  I never actually made a personal attack, but offered some input, unpopular though it may be.
Gees creature, you are right.  I apologize.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2007, 01:25:22 PM »

Hey, as someone who decided earlier this year that I "needed" a mahogany dread to complement my D-03R, I'm in no position to criticize anyone else!

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »

Gees creature, you are right.  I apologize.
Assuming that this is sincere, apology accepted.  No harm done.  The creature's skin is oh so thick.

bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2007, 08:46:16 PM »

It was sincere.

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
jeremy3220
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 12:39:16 AM »

The creature's skin is oh so thick.

So thick his next name should be Rhino Rump.

jwb

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2007, 01:23:55 AM »

We've heard it all before from Creature, maybe he should get over his self. 

I believe the correct grammar would be "get over himself", but only a real a-hole would point out something like that....     

Where I'm from we say "his self", "yonder", "ya'll" and sometimes even "you-uns" and "we-uns"....I thought that was good grammar.

I enjoyed the clip of the old Gibby L1 Jeremy - it does have bite!  I wish I could play blues like that fella; very cool. 

OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")
piscator

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 01:41:04 AM »

Oooh noooo!  My daughter wanted to hear my 'power chord blues' thing and I just played it for her on a NYLON STRING YAMAHA.  Why didn't you guys tell me?  Now I've got the "I played blues on nylon blues again"  Sheeesh!   

How about any old Stella?  Maybe the 12 string?  Might be lots of fun! 

Larrivee OM3R
Larrivee Rosewood Parlor
dgrose

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2007, 02:58:42 AM »

As far as blues goes, my P-05 isn't quite cutting it - lovely guitar, but absolutely no authority in the bass department. My L-03R, although a nice fingerpicker, also feels mismatched for acoustic blues. If I went looking for a guitar under a grand, specifically for fingerpicking blues, what would you recommend?

The BEST acoustic blues guitar (for under a grand) on the planet is, without a doubt, my Martin 000-15... and here's why:
1. It's got a REAL fast BLUES neck and low BLUES action
2. It's got a mahogany top, back and sides for an extremely BLUESY sound and a very authentic BLUES look
3. It's got the Martin logo which is just totally BLUES
4. It smells really nice which isn't very BLUESY, but quite pleasant
4. After I bought it (for just under a grand) and the G.A.S. wore off, I realized I didn't really like it as much as my Larrivees and it gave me the BLUES.

I think Creature has a point about falling for hype.   
Anyone interested in a Martin 000-15?   

dg

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2007, 03:06:28 AM »

bogie

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2007, 04:37:08 AM »

You could buy a brand new Epiphone Masterbuilt EF-500M (OM size, Mahogany, 1 3/4" nut, vintage v neck) for $499 new online and have enough money left over to buy a good used parlor off EBay to complement it.

They are amazing guitars for the price, anyone will tell you so. They are made in China, but in a factory that Epiphone owns and has complete control over.

If you're looking for authenticity, you should be able to find a Kalamazoo KG-11 in decent condition for around $1000. This is a ladder-braced version of the Gibson L-00.

Keep an eye on Neil Harpe's website, www.stellaguitars.com. Sometimes good deals come up there. I would warn you against buying Stellas elsewhere, unless a luthier has worked on it or can vouch for it, because their quality can really vary.

Last, but certainly not least, Martin 2-17s come up on EBay regularly and sometimes go cheap because the collector herd isn't too interested in this model. I got my first one for under $1000 and I just scored an absolutely mint one for just a little above!

FIII LS-03 IS/Hog on the way

OM-01 (For Sale soon, anyone interested?)
Republic Guitars Resolian (for slide)
A bunch of harmonicas
Novalis

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2007, 07:22:57 AM »

At the King Biscuit blues festival (the largest free blues festival in the world) I saw some incredible country blues players playing inexpensive Epiphone acoustic guitars. I also saw a couple cheap Yamaha dread being used that sounded fantastic.

That being said, to get "that" sound (the sound I think you are getting at), look into a ladder-braced guitar. You'll sound like you jumped out of a 78rpm pre-war blues record (without the scratches or pops).

Guitars: Larrivee P-05; National Resphonic Style 2 Squareneck;      National Resophonic 12-fret "B"; Dupont MD-50;
Lazy River Weissenborn; Robert Sayers custom flat-top;
Cervantes Crossover; Todd Korup banjo-uke; McSpadden dulcimer;
PRS 22 semi-hollow ltd.; PRS DC3
Amplification: RA-400; Rivera Venus 3
NotRevGDavis

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 10:42:11 PM »

A '30's Gibson made Kalamazoo.

As far as there is no such thing as a "Blues" guitar I'll agree BUT there are many guitars that the Blues sound like crap on. A lush symphonic guitar isn't gonna have any mojo. A certain VERY famous original Blues player was sponsored by lush guitar brand and he ranted for an hour how it was no guitar to play the Blues on. Then again I saw the impossible in New Orleans by a street performer she played some of the best blues I have ever heard on a nylon string guitar.

The Dude abides.

jwsamuel

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 09:54:33 PM »

'Everything' is an ambiguous term. What relevant to this thread is sales hype and marketing angle(by manufacturers) and do you have examples?

I agree with Creature. There is the misconception that dreadnoughts are for flatpicking and that OMs or 000s are for fingerstyle. But take a look at Michael Hedges. He was a pretty good ( actually extremely good) fingerstyle player and he played a Martin HD28. I've also seen some pretty good flatpickers playing an OM.

Somehow, this idea has come about that you need different guitars for different types of songs. It's all hype.

Jim
jwsamuel

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 09:57:26 PM »

Creature, please tell us if a wider nut on a classical guitar is b/s marketing hype,

The only reason the nut on a classical guitar is so wide is because the nylon strings are thicker and you need a wider nut to get enough spacing between the strings.

Jim
jwsamuel

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2007, 09:59:40 PM »

It's fine to disagree with people but let's keep things pleasant here - it isn't the UMGF you know!   

LOL!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: