Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a good drop-in replacement for the B-Band A5?  (Read 839 times)
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2007, 02:46:31 PM »

My D-03RE came with the B-Band A5.  As I've posted before, the pre-amp output is quite low, even compared to the B-Band A5 in my 12-string.  Long & McQuade raised the issue with Larrivee, and Brian T. replied that there's nothing wrong with the preamp; at a certain point, B-Band decided to reduce its output, so some Larrivees have louder ones and some have quieter ones.

I've decided I don't feel like tolerating that, so I'd like to replace the whole system.  Does anyone know of a decent system, B-Band or otherwise, that can go in there without doing major surgery on the side of the guitar?

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 03:56:51 PM »

If you like the sound of the preamp, but output is the only issue, it could be modified to perform the same as the older series. I'm betting that a simple resistor change (maybe B-Band would help you by identifying the actual component and value) is all that is necessary.

Ron

melanie

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 10:34:28 AM »

If your A5 system has the old type of UST, can I suggest you contact B-Band direct and explain the problem. I have the A3.2 system in a guitar which is 3 years old. I recently was able to compare it to a friends new Tanglewood, equipped with the current A3.2 and UST, and his was much louder. I contacted B-Band to ask if there was a problem with my preamp, and the reply was no it will be the UST, we will send you a new free of charge. I fitted the new one, and the output is soo much higher now, and the low level hiss has gone. They have recenly changed the design of the UST it now has an R after the part description (for ribbed I think!!).
Your prob may be that the pickup itself has a low output, not the preamp.
hth
Mel
Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 02:00:05 AM »

Hmm, interesting.  Thanks for the tip.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print