Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Installing a K&K  (Read 3434 times)
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 09:57:27 PM »

Hey, I'm jumping in too late here and after the fact. Glad you 'got 'er done', Kwak!
I did two of these late summer/early fall.
But I had an easier time of it, as both guitars had enlarged sound holes, and I can remember thinking at the time how fortuitous that was for me & my big ugly hamhands.
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 10:03:26 PM »

How embarrassing!  ohmy duh!

Thanks, Dave! I guess I need a LOT more sleep than I've been getting, huh?  wacko
It's all good.    Just glad you got 'er done!  Let us know how it sounds.

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 01:12:00 AM »

You will be surprised how good a pickup it is...add a K&K Pure or XLR preamp and heads will turn.  The XLR is supposed to sound better..never tried it but if it sounds any better than the Pure, it must be spectacular! 

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2008, 06:29:53 PM »

FWIW...  I got an Irwin Unibit for this.  It is a stepped bit that goes from 1/8" thru 1/2".  I have done several endpin jack installs (some K&K, some others) with it using my power drill (Ryobi 14.4v cordless).  I have had ZERO problems.  Be sure, hold it straight and steady and let the tool do the work.  It will work fine.  If you push the drill and try to do it too fast, you *can* (not *will*) botch it.  Use a little common sense.  I think you can get someone to install it for the price of the reamer.  Unless you plan to do a half dozen, I hardly see the need and it is possible to botch the job with a reamer also.

eded,

what speed do you use for this, high speed or lower speed?  I need to put an end-pin in a new classical I just bought (which will be played in characteristically non-classical style).  I might just put a strap button on the bottom of the heel and the end of the lower bout.  Or I might use one of those Mariachi band classical guitar straps, not sure yet.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 07:43:42 PM »

The XLR is supposed to sound better..
Hi Denis, I have them both and can't really tell a difference.  The XLR sginal is  much hotter, and the XLR preamp has some extra controls (external gain control, and phase reversal), which make at a bit move versatile for problem rooms.  Other than that they sound identical to me.

David

www.davidberchtold.com
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »

OK:
http://media.putfile.com/TTHNLAA-snippet

guitar -> Behringer UB1202 mixer (w/ bass boosted on the EQ) -> Dell laptop running Audacity where I added reverb.

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2008, 09:22:08 PM »

eded,

what speed do you use for this, high speed or lower speed?  I need to put an end-pin in a new classical I just bought (which will be played in characteristically non-classical style).  I might just put a strap button on the bottom of the heel and the end of the lower bout.  Or I might use one of those Mariachi band classical guitar straps, not sure yet.

-Scott

I drill a pilot hole of 1/8" all the way through and then run the Unibit at moderately high speed.  I guess to clarify, moderately high RPM but as far as forward motion, relatively slow (but steady and sure).  Some people say to put masking tape on to avoid tearout.  I've never had any problem.

Ed
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2008, 07:55:21 PM »

OK: http://media.putfile.com/TTHNLAA-snippet
guitar -> Behringer UB1202 mixer (w/ bass boosted on the EQ) -> Dell laptop running Audacity where I added reverb.
Hey that sounds great Neil!  Could probably back the mids off a hair, but man, you gotta love that K&K.   Nice picking, I might add.

It was a bit quiet. You might try boosting the mic preamp and/or the channel gain a bit on your mixer.

David

www.davidberchtold.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: