Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your restringging formula?  (Read 750 times)
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2008, 01:18:30 PM »

Ideally, I would like to spend more tiime playing my guitar without having to constantly adjust the tuning as strings inevitably need frequent tweaking.  I go to alot of live music presented by amatuers and professionals and notice that many people don't seem to have an issue with this problem like I do.  Maybe they slip up from the bridge pins.  I watched a video probably offered by someone here on the forum which showed this guy slightly crimping the string before installing it into the bridge hole.  I'm going to give that a shot when I need to install new strings.  Also, what formula have you found has worked best to prevent slipping when you attach new strings to their posts.  Up till now, I've followed the method Taylor shows on their website.  Some folks tie the string to the post before beginning the winding process; some do the first wind above the post hole and the remaining winds below it.  I've tried different brands of strings and I stretch them thoroughly when I put new ones on.  It doesn't matter which guitar, but it does occur more so in the winter when temperature and humidity ( I monitor with a room thermometer/hygrometer ) are fluctuating; I use a room humidifier when necessary.  I know all you savvy string winders in cyberspace are just itching to share your slip proof string insatallation recipies with me.  I can feel it!

DAVE

-Larrivee LSV11e (sadly sold))
-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
-Guild D40 (donated to science due to terminal      Onthevergeofimplosionitis)
-Brian Fry Custim 000 in the works
knowspicker

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 04:00:58 PM »

I don't usually have too much of a problem with this so this may or may not help.

I put the ball end just inside the hole and push it in with the bridge pin. [I've tried the crimping method but didn't notice any difference.]

I have the hole in the post lined up so it faces up/down. I then pull the string up to the head post with some tension and wrap it around the top of the post then through the hole and tighten the string. It leaves about 2 wraps of string around the post when it's tuned. I just alway heard fewer wraps is better for staying in tune. But I use this method mainly because it's really fast and doesn't seem to cause any problems.

I do notice that if humidity goes up the guitar can go a little sharp and down a little bit flat.
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:35:52 AM »

Thanks Knowspicker.  I'll give that a try when it's time for new strings.

-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
John R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:50:24 PM »

Dave, when you are re stringing make sure that the ball is correctly seated in the bridge. This will prevent the string causing damage and also any slipping from that end. There are a few different methods but the one you are using should be as good as any to be frank. Cheers John

God is Good
Larrivee L09, L05, L05 MT, P 09, OM 03 MT 12 string
Hofner Committe Thin 1962
Musicman Albert Lee (blue)
ditto in red but hard tail
Silhouette Special
ncognito
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:29:50 AM »

Thanks John.  I'll do that.

-Lowden S10c
-Taylor 455ce L7
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: