Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuning - How Often is Too Often?  (Read 2548 times)
canoe65

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 07:22:30 PM »

I usually check and adjust, if necessary, the tuning of all the strings on my L-03 every time I take it out of the case to play it.

I don't usually have to check the tuning again during that playing session, even though I may I have been using my G7th Performance Capo.   

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."
markyboy

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 08:42:53 PM »

I currently am in the market for a larriveen (l-05?) but have a 1972 yamaha fg-160 I bought from my 1st paycheck. Anyway I can leave the Yamaha in the closet for years and it will stay in tune. I don't think that's such a good thing..

2006 Larrivee l-05
1972 Yamaha fg-160
Kaycee Loves Donuts!
harptech

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 03:08:27 AM »

When I first started playing, I would just play if the guitar was close to in-tune. I really couldn't tell correct tuning well, (within reason).
I have noticed that over the years, I have learned to distinguish the sound of in-tune and out-of-tune strings, though I by no means have perfect pitch, lol.
I think it is a good idea to tune-up before each playing session, (and during, if you sense the guitar is out) for the sake of training yourself to consistently hear proper pitch. It aids in helping to play songs and melodies by ear if you are familiar with the correct tones of the instrument.
If I play to an audience, I always tune prior to playing and re-check a couple of times during play. Just being in front of people can make you nervous enough to not be aware of an out-of-tune situation. Also, if you sing while you play, you will sing better if your guitar is in tune as you will try to match the tuning of the instrument.

Just a couple of thoughts.

-Bill

...forever on the never-ending quest for TONE!!!
http://songramp.com/harptech
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 12:55:04 PM »

Even when a guitar appears to be in tune, it can usually use some tweaking. The Grovers on my L09 keep it pretty close but it could use a tweak. I think one problem is that it takes the ears longer to realize when strings have  gone sharp rather than flat. Especially if the whole thing goes sharp in unison. Which can happen.
Anyway, we tune because we care and we tune as often as necessary and not one iota more.   
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2007, 04:50:46 PM »

Even when a guitar appears to be in tune, it can usually use some tweaking. The Grovers on my L09 keep it pretty close but it could use a tweak. I think one problem is that it takes the ears longer to realize when strings have  gone sharp rather than flat. Especially if the whole thing goes sharp in unison. Which can happen.
Anyway, we tune because we care and we tune as often as necessary and not one iota more.   
good point on the "sharp" thing. Some less experienced players,if not using a tuner, inevitably keep tuning the pitch up, maybe not realizing that it was just one string that needed lowered. And about that B string. Who knows the physics of why a B string will tend to go high?

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 07:01:21 PM »

Exactly. When I was a young(er) guitarist, I foolishly thought that guitars strings only went flat. I mean, how could they tighten by themselves and become sharp? So when one string was sharp, I'd think the other five we're flat and up they'd go. TAYF. Tuners are your friend.   
hatofthecat

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2007, 07:24:25 PM »

Who knows the physics of why a B string will tend to go high?

...there's never a physicist about when you need one eh  whistling  ...in the meantime I'll just dust off my rusty old degree in the subject and take a guess  blush

The B string is the thickest unwound string so is less able to deform than an E string when stretched a little more, by for example increased humidity causing expansion of wooden guitar parts.  All the wound strings whilst having thicker cores have windings with (I guess) a large part of their mass in them that will not be stretched... so will go up in pitch but just not so obviously.... this is based on assumption that this is working differently than when you are adjusting string tension using the tuner because the mass of each string vibrating has not been changed by the guitar expanding unlike when you stretch the string more by turning the tuning peg where you are very slightly reducing the mass of vibrating string as you go. 

Okay that was my best shot. 

Pete

1992 Larrivée L-09 Koa
jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 02:16:51 PM »

...there's never a physicist about when you need one eh 

Pete!  You lost me after the first line.

This reminds me why I never did well in physics...

jimmy

flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2007, 12:36:18 PM »

...there's never a physicist about when you need one eh  whistling  ...in the meantime I'll just dust off my rusty old degree in the subject and take a guess  blush

The B string is the thickest unwound string so is less able to deform than an E string when stretched a little more, by for example increased humidity causing expansion of wooden guitar parts.  All the wound strings whilst having thicker cores have windings with (I guess) a large part of their mass in them that will not be stretched... so will go up in pitch but just not so obviously.... this is based on assumption that this is working differently than when you are adjusting string tension using the tuner because the mass of each string vibrating has not been changed by the guitar expanding unlike when you stretch the string more by turning the tuning peg where you are very slightly reducing the mass of vibrating string as you go. 

Okay that was my best shot. 

Pete
ok. I think that's a decent shot and logical. I still like the allure of gremlins though.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 01:02:20 AM »

I'm coming to the conclusion that a lot or retuning may be an attempt to temper the tuning. A fretted instrument can not be brought into perfect tune and can not intonate perfectly in every key and up the whole fretboard. Mike Doolin has a series of articles on the subject that give me a headache every time I try to read through the whole series. It is really good information on the subject. Here a link for those who might be interested.

http://www.doolinguitars.com/intonation/intonation1.html
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2007, 04:45:41 PM »

You mean my guitar was not tuned when I GOT it?

If the tuner knobs are aligned in the same direction then it means your guitar was tuned at the factory and should never need tuning again. I'm pretty sure that's in the Larrivee warranty.

I'm just about to ship my guitar back to the factory for a tuner alignment.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
PortHueneme

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2007, 07:37:04 PM »

If the tuner knobs are aligned in the same direction then it means your guitar was tuned at the factory and should never need tuning again. I'm pretty sure that's in the Larrivee warranty.

I'm just about to ship my guitar back to the factory for a tuner alignment.

Funny thing, but true. WEhen my 12 string is tuned almost all the tuner knobs ARE lined up.
Just coincidence, but strange

SD-60 SBT
O-50 TSB
OM-03 Koa
D-09 12 string
Gibson-J50
Gibson Blues King
A gaggle of ukes
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: