In-case dehumidification

Started by PaulR, October 30, 2007, 06:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I bought a hygrometer a few months ago and noticed that the humidity level has been constantly up at the 75-85% range for the last couple of weeks.

I'm thinking of picking up some Silica gel to put in the case to give my guitar a more comfortable time but could do with some advice regarding quantity etc.

I've found you can buy it in sachets of all sorts of shapes & sizes from 1g up to 500g. What would be a good amount to put in a guitar case?

Thanks
Larrivee P-05
Brook Taw

None.  :winkin:

Get a Planet Waves Humidipak (altho currently all have been recalled & everyone is waiting for Planet Waves to begin distributing again) or a Zorb-It kit.  Both will not only dehumidify, but also humidity as needed.  My Zorb-It sets have been keeping my cases at just about 50%RH pretty consistently. If you get silica, it'll only dehumidify.
Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.

Thanks for your reply.

I was going to get a humidipak but then found I couldn't get one anywhere and then I read about the recall...

I'm looking into the zorb-it. The website sys it "stabilises the environment to the long term average relative humidity level". The question is what is long term? I've not been watching humidity levels enough to know what the really long term average is but I do know that over the last month it's been continuously over 70%.

Anyone else in the UK watching humidity & actively trying to control it?
Larrivee P-05
Brook Taw

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on October 31, 2007, 11:31:56 AM
It's possable your hygrometer is not accurate.

Yes, that's a good point. I've ordered a second hygrometer to check it against since they are very cheap.

However, I have a feeling it's not far off. Current humidity level where I am in the U.K. seems pretty high:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=1769

I live in a drafty old victorian house (& the central heating is currently broken) so humidity inside is probably similar to that outside.

Furthermore, I have noticed that my guitar top is showing very slight signs of swelling and I can feel a very slight dip at the tailblock - so I think it is time to do something...
Larrivee P-05
Brook Taw