Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Preamp Electronics Box Bad Buzz  (Read 989 times)
Allen H

Ignore
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:05:03 AM »

My acoustic-electric LV-03 cutaway is a beautiful guitar, but the preamp electronics box rattles like crazy, especially with open strings! If I remove the box, everything's suddenly fine, so it's definitely something inside the preamp, and the not the battery case or bridge or pickup. I'll have to take it apart. Any advice?
Dale_I
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:33:14 PM »

My advice would be to contact Larrivee or your dealer before taking apart your electronics. They may want you to return it to them or look at it themselves before you change things.

"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass
LIMA621

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:33:36 AM »

I had a buzz problem with my larrivee L03 - if I felt inside the guitar and pressed my fingers on the baseplate of the EQ box the buz stopped. It seemed to be an electronic grounding problem. I removed the pickup and slightly loosened the screw that secures the baseplate on the PU unit. That solved the problem.
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 01:03:43 PM »

If I read your post correctly, you are having a mechanical rattle with the pre-amp box, not an electronic buzz - correct?

The most likely suspect is actually the wires connecting the box to the pickup and/or end-pin jack.  Get a small mirror that you can insert into the soundhole and a flashlight, and snoop around to see if the wires are held in place nicely.  Usually, there will be at least one place where the wires are run through a small ferrule attached to the body.  Make sure that they don't actually lay against the top, back or sides.

Then I would suspect the battery in the box itself.  Is it held in firmly?  Is there anyplace in the box that you can see where something might buzz - even the box itself against the body of the guitar?

You might have to remove the box entirely from the body to find this out.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:08:20 PM »

If I read your post correctly, you are having a mechanical rattle with the pre-amp box, not an electronic buzz - correct?

The most likely suspect is actually the wires connecting the box to the pickup and/or end-pin jack.  Get a small mirror that you can insert into the soundhole and a flashlight, and snoop around to see if the wires are held in place nicely.  Usually, there will be at least one place where the wires are run through a small ferrule attached to the body.  Make sure that they don't actually lay against the top, back or sides.

Then I would suspect the battery in the box itself.  Is it held in firmly?  Is there anyplace in the box that you can see where something might buzz - even the box itself against the body of the guitar?

You might have to remove the box entirely from the body to find this out.

While Larrivee makes lovely guitars, after what I found out about my Fishman pre-amp box install, they weren't very careful when they laid out the template to cut the main hole and drill the mount holes.  Here's a photo showing what I'm talking about on my L-03-E
(click it to enlarge it)

See how the hole in the upper left is out of place?  I should have never ordered the 'E' option from them.  My fishman pre-amp went south and Larrivee didn't stand behind it - they said electronics were not covered in their warranty!  So now I have an ugly hole in the side.

But the guitar actually sounds better to my ears while playing it now with the hole in the side.

-Scott

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
Allen H

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 04:15:17 AM »

Great ideas, you guys! I'll try them and get back to you soon.
Cheers,
Allen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: