Imix not working

Started by Acoustic Eloquence, September 24, 2007, 12:41:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone,

Just less than a year ago, I got a b-band imix put into my larrivee by the larrivee factory at Vancouver.  Recently it has stopped working. No sound comes out of the amp. The orange power light still turns on when it is plugged in and I've tried switching batteries, cables etc. But nothing works. 

Anyone know whats wrong with it before I bring it back to Larrivee??  Thanks!
Larrivee Special Edition LV-19 w/ I-mix
Yamaha APX-512A (12 string)
Yamaha F-310
Martin Backpacker
Fender Strat

Just note that Larrivee probably won't cover the warranty to fix the item.

My Fishman on-board preamp crapped out about a year ago.  Larrivee washed their hands of the situation.  Positive outcome of the story, I put my own K+K mini pure western in and like the sound much better.  I removed the fishman pre-amp from the side of the guitar, and bass response improved with this particular L-body - at least direct field to my ears while playing.  I haven't noticed a huge change to recorded mic'ed sound of the guitar, but then again, I'm mostly recording direct now with the K+K.  I never recorded the fishman UST because of it's nasty honk.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

So i was playing around with it and it works when i pull the cable partly out of the output jack of the guitar.  However, i cannot control the volume. anyone know wuts wrong or how i can fix this? thanks alot.
Yamaha F-310
Martin Backpacker
Fender Strat

Acoustic
Eloquence,

You say you have a B-Band pickup but also you say it is an iMix, the iMix is made by LR Baggs.
I'm not sure what pickup you have but if it is the Baggs iMix you might want to check the mono/stereo switch inside the guitar to see if it is in the position for the cable you are using. In other words I don't think you can have the switch in the stereo position and use a mono cable. Also that switch might be bad or dirty, try sliding it back and forth between stereo and mono and see if that does anything
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

If it is an iMix system, you can also check the end plug. As you plug it in it turns the system on. If the orange light is on, the system is on and you should have a signal at the end plug. You might also want to check the volume setting and the mix controll to make sure you have it turned up. You can check out this old post for a method of checking the balance and volume:
http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=17859.msg160569#msg160569
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

check your mono/stero switch it should be in the mono position unless you have a stero cable (looks like a y cable, 1 end to your guitar 2 ends to the mixer board. )

Hi everyone,

haha, sorry, my bad, its a L.R.Baggs Imix, i got the brand of my pickup mixed up =P

anyway, the switch was on stereo, and i found a loose connection on one of the wires.  I fixed both and it works now! Thanks for all your help everyone!
Yamaha F-310
Martin Backpacker
Fender Strat

Great - so much better to have something that works. You may still want to go through the balancing procedure just to make sure you are getting your best possible tone, but play for a while first so you will have something to compare it against.   Congrats - I wish all fixes were that easy!
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass