Do you like your own singing voice?

Started by strumminman, September 20, 2007, 12:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sang in choirs since elementary school.
Sang in the Colt chorale for 2 years in Arlington TX---we sang at Hemisfair in San Antonio
All-State 2nd Tenor my senior in New Mexico.
Sang in college choir.

Then, with 1 final pubertical hiccup, my voice dropped just enough that I was more of a baritone.

Now I feel like I am just a little better than Joe Cocker or Bob Dylan. 

I still love to sing...well past the 5th fret.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

Quote from: ElJefe on September 27, 2007, 05:43:25 PM

Now I feel like I am just a little better than Joe Cocker or Bob Dylan. 

I believe my voice falls squarely between Bob Seeger and Tom Waits

If I'm singing well, and in tune, then yeah.  If not, then no.
But it did take some getting used to the sound of my recorded voice.

- Richard
oldWithoutMoney.com

Larrivee L-09 (w/ non-cutout iMix)
Larrivee 00-19
Larrivee OM-0312R

plus a few other treasures

I'm pretty comfortable with my singing voice but admit that I have to screw my eyes shut when I sing/play in front of people. What really bothers me is my choice of songs. I tend to like to sing sad songs which satisfy my needs - and get me a few compliments - but I'd rather play a song that others could merrily sing along with. There's safety in numbers, after all!  :humour:
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

kwak --- I can relate.  Most of the songs that I sing others have never heard before.  I go for the songs that work well for my voice and that move me. If it doesn't move me I can't play it well.  So when I go to a party people will start yelling out requests and I usually don't know any of them, which makes people think I suck.  But I just play and sing what I like. 

SOunds great to me while I am singing, but some voodoo woman seems to have cursed any recording device that hears my voice. For some reason what I hear when playing a recording of it, sounds nothing like what I hear when I am singing.

Damn those vodoo people, arrrgh.

I think I sound OK while I am singing but when I hear myself on playback - ouch!

Cheers,
NW

:winkin:

OM-03 MQ
P-05 MT

Now you can easily sing along to your favourite song (words provided) whilst sharing with others on the forum.

Check this out:  http://thesimsonstage.ea.com/index.html

Click the Karaoke tab.

My daughter and I have done some songs (singingluver6 - search members).  Great fun.
Cheers,

Will

Acoustic, Electric & Air guitars

Quote from: the creature on October 22, 2007, 12:10:45 PM
So when I go to a party people will start yelling out requests and I usually don't know any of them, which makes people think I suck.  But I just play and sing what I like. 

What's really bad is when they say 'Play something I/we know', like their taste in music is so run of the mill I should know what they listen to.

on my singing voice... it sucks. Sometimes I can pull of Woody Guthrie and other simple type stuff but for the most part, it's pretty lame. It just sounds weak. I should start drinking whiskey and smoking, that would make me sound tougher.

Quote from: willguitar on November 13, 2007, 10:40:56 PM
Now you can easily sing along to your favourite song (words provided) whilst sharing with others on the forum.

Check this out:  http://thesimsonstage.ea.com/index.html

Click the Karaoke tab.

My daughter and I have done some songs (singingluver6 - search members).  Great fun.

You and your daughter have nice singing voices, I got a kick out of the dog bark and the little giggle.

I'll pass the link on to a friend who's whole family likes karaoke. His daughter  has acted in many plays and she loves to sing and she doesn't need accompaniment. When she sings Over The Rainbow it brings tears to my eyes, just a beautiful voice.  She actually auditioned for American Idol but didn't get picked, it's a shame they waste so many spots on people that are tone deaf.

Thanks for the link,
:cheers
Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

I have gotten used to it as i have sang more in front of people, and as i have heard my voice recorded.  But still...it is odd.  Here is a sample. Though, i did not write any of these, a friend did.  "what i know of love" is the newest one i recorded, the other ones don't sound as good. 

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?songs=579121&T=7281

Mike
Larrivee LV03R
Larrivee OO-40 Pearl Edition
Larrivee OM-40WL

Is there some kind of gadget that can help us all?  :guitar
Ruben

Quote from: rrgguitarman on November 25, 2007, 10:38:45 AM
Is there some kind of gadget that can help us all?  :guitar

Roger

"Live simply so that others may simply live"

Quote from: Mr_LV19E on November 25, 2007, 12:29:36 PM

:roll  :roll  :roll  :roll

That just might be the answer...very merciful on the listener.
Does one size fit all?
Ruben