Do you like your own singing voice?

Started by strumminman, September 20, 2007, 12:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I do not like my own singing voice. However, I do get some compliments from strangers & of course, positive compliments from family & friends. It's difficult to determine if they are really sincere comments or they are just being nice. It was said that Elvis Presley, among a few other great singers, hated the sound of their own singing voice. Just curious as to how many on this forum feel the same way & to what degree. Does it hamper your progress? Where does your inspiration come from to continue? Are you a "closet" singer?  :guitar

I wish I knew.  Only the neighbor's dogs have anything to say about my singing.
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

Yeah...I don't know either, lol.  We could always make a post that included some songs and ask for honest input  :laughin:
Mcilroy A30C, 2005
Yamaha FG-512, 1978
Custom Built Orchestra Model

Previously Owned:
Larrivee L-10 Special Edition, 2002
Larrivee Classical, 1977
Larrivee LV-05E, 2005
Larrivee P-09
Larrivee OM-05 custom
Larrivee OM-03
Larrivee D-03R, 1997

I guess I like my singing voice.  When I was younger I had what I considered a piercing voice,  but as I get older I sound more like a dog growling.  I still enjoy singing though,  and I see others enjoy it sometimes as well.   I sound like I sound.  You sound like you sound.  Make the most of what you've got and enjoy it. 
Here's a sample of my dog growling voice.   
http://h1.ripway.com/woody%20b/music/UTGF/BreakingDown.mp3

No - but neither does anyone else, so I'm in good company.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Sometimes! I always love the way it feels to sing. If I've done it enough to work myself into a kind of trance, and there's an audience traveling along with me into this magic emotional territory, then, yes! I love it!

You work with what you have. Consider it an instrument that sometimes plays beautifully and other times just suffices. But practice makes perfect, they say.

Nothing like recording what you do. Tapes and hard drives don't lie! The best teaching tool, for sure.

Doug J
Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke

I've learned to like it and listen to it critically. I've found you have to get over your dislike of hearing your own voice (because it sounds strange) and work with what you've got. I've also found that I sound MUCH better when I am not self-conscious about singing. My first vocal recordings were tentative and therefore wavered in pitch and quality. Once I decided to "go for it" and sing with confidence... the results are amazing. I still struggle and do many many takes but I sound much better to me know than I did when I started recording.

Just remember... John Lennon hated the sound of his voice too and he was one of the most distinctive voices in rock 'n roll history.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: Dale_I on September 20, 2007, 07:21:05 PM
No - but neither does anyone else, so I'm in good company.

Good answer!  I don't like mine either.    :bgrin:
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

If I had one!  My one and only fan, my 5 year old grand dauhgter told me when I was singing her a song to "PUT A SOCK IN POPPY!!!!!"  That tells the whole story.
Larrivee OM-03RE 2004
Larrivee Parlor O-R 2003
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Taylor T5z - Mahogany
Yamaha Acoustic SLG200

I might like my singing voice if I could sing a little softer....unfortunately I usually have to scream in order to drown out the sound of my bad guitar playing :roll
Larrivee D-05
Larrivee L-05MT
Larrivee P-05
Martin D-18GE
Martin 0M-42
Rainsong JM1000
Beard Gold Tone round neck
Ibanez AS 103- NT custom
CA Cargo
Collings 01

What I like to do when I'm not murdering perfectly good guitar tunes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterdancer/

Quote from: strumminman on September 20, 2007, 12:50:11 PM
I do not like my own singing voice. However, I do get some compliments from strangers & of course, positive compliments from family & friends.

I don't like to hear my own voice and don't like listening to recordings I've done, but I made my living with it for a decade. I figured if people were willing to pay to hear it, I'd just keep my critique to myself. I think that as players and singers, we hear all the little glitches in what we play and sing. Most people don't notice them... thank goodness.    :laughin:

dg

I used to think it was pretty average;  passable but nothing to write home about. One day I was sorting stuff in the garage in a house we were moving into and was oblivious to a little 5 or 6 year old girl who was standing in my driveway listening intently  as I sang one song after another thinking I was alone.   Finally she spoke up and surprised me with "Hey, .....don't you have a radio ?"  and I busted up.  Out of the mouths of babes, huh ?    I've never forgotten that and it's kept me humble since then.

I'm pretty comforable with my voice and I don't mind singing infront of others.   I've just gotten used to it over the years having played infront of crowds for a few years. It's almost like nothing at this point, but I used to get really insecure about it.  One thing lots of folks don't realize is that insecurity is the worst killer to a performance.  People can tell when you're scared or unsure and that kills the process.  My wife and I sing together all of the time and she provides a flawless harmony to whatever I sing, so I'm pretty fortunate in that regard as well.  This makes my voice sound better than it really is in most cases I'd say.   I guess my voice is about average, though I am able to hit some things in the higher ranges than some men.  Best thing I ever did for my voice was to stop smoking cigarettes. 

Quote from: the creature on September 25, 2007, 11:57:51 AM
Best thing I ever did for my voice was to stop smoking cigarettes. 

Ditto on that. Also, I think it's important to keep in shape. Not like a runner/sprinter(unless you want to), but just keeping active enough to keep your muscles toned & lungs in good breathing order. I find that this helps with your singing as well. Just what we needed, another excuse to exercise.  :guitar

Sometimes.  I have times when my voice seems to be better than others.  I've heard that you should be out of bed at least 4 hours for your voice to be ready.  Don't know for sure.  It seems that it depends on the situation. (amount of people or friends, time, smoke, or lack of, a few drinks, or how often you sing)  Maybe a singing voice needs exercise  like the rest of one's body.  Makes one wonder now doesn't one?

old folky :whistling:
'74 Martin D35S
Larrivee SD 50 TSB
Unplayed Vega and Harmony banjos

I'm in love with the sound of my own voice. Only problem is, I don't get many complments. That doesn't stop me though!
:wink: 
Actually I can't be that bad. I was picked for a small choral ensemble to perform with the Summer Boston Esplanade Orchestra once. But, age is doing its work.
Scott  :guitar
06 Larrivee LSV-11e
95 Lucio Nunez Nava 'Balbina' Classical
81 Ibanez Artist AS 200 semi-hollow
80 Alvarez Yairi DY76 Dreadnought
1905 Vega Lansing Special bowlback mandolin

No.

I have a very blah nothingness voice that is okay in harmonies (when in tune  :blush:) but on it's own it's very weak, childish, and irritating. Sort of like the rest of me!   :roll
~Lynn :guitar

Quote from: old folky on September 26, 2007, 10:44:34 AM
Sometimes.  I have times when my voice seems to be better than others.  I've heard that you should be out of bed at least 4 hours for your voice to be ready.  Don't know for sure.  It seems that it depends on the situation. (amount of people or friends, time, smoke, or lack of, a few drinks, or how often you sing)  Maybe a singing voice needs exercise  like the rest of one's body.  Makes one wonder now doesn't one?

old folky :whistling:

A good warm up is as essential for the vocal chords as it is for the muscles and tendons in your body before a physical event (sports, dancing, whatever).

You can damage vocal chords by pushing them without proper warm up.
2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Voice lessons from a good teacher can do wonders. It is a skill like any other. How many people do the the folk singer schtick and have had years of guitar lessons but no voice lessons? Garbage in garbage out.

I've had a couple of good ones. A lesson or two should tell you whether you relate well to the teacher. It is very personal, and something where you can't be afraid of embarrassing yourself.

In the Boston area, I've studied a bit under Bob Honeysucker (don't laugh...he's a New England Conservatory luminary), and would recommend him, but he's intense. That was a few years back; I don't know his situation lately.

Scott  :guitar
06 Larrivee LSV-11e
95 Lucio Nunez Nava 'Balbina' Classical
81 Ibanez Artist AS 200 semi-hollow
80 Alvarez Yairi DY76 Dreadnought
1905 Vega Lansing Special bowlback mandolin