Buffed out -03's - long term comments?

Started by dberch, September 11, 2007, 10:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm just curious...

There have been several threads over the past few years on buffing out -03 satin series Larrivee's to a gloss finish.  I've always thought they looked pretty good.

My questions is: How are they holding up in the long term?  Do they require any speical care?  Please share your thoghts if you've had a glossed -03 seriesa for a  while.

Thanks!
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Any time I buff a satin finish (two of them now) I finish it with a thin coat of Butchers Bowling Alley Wax and re-apply as necessary...usually once a year in the Fall after I've finished sweating all over it during the summer. I also wipe the guitar every time after playing with a polishing cloth.
Never had any problems.

BTW: Butchers Wax is silicone-free

Dan
"Time flies like an arrow..Fruit flies like a banana"
Townes Van Zandt

While I didn't buff out the satin finish on my OM-03BW (thanks inspector13... :beer)  It still looks great after a few years...Its not Gloss but really nice middle ground...and it doesn't show off smudges as readily as a full gloss guitar

:cheers

Blue
OM-05MT "Mary Helen"
Silvercreek T-170
Harmony Herd (1203, 162, 165, 6362)

I saw a used Martin that was buffed and didn't like the fact that it was obvious by the bridge and for me time is either money or has value coming from playing guitar and doing family and other things so it's not a way I'd spent time and it was not a used guitar I was going to buy either. It it's defense I'll say that it's not as ridiculous as the relic guitar phenomenon. It may have also turned me off because I quite like my satin guitar and the one I sold.