Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Costco is now selling Martins !  (Read 8700 times)
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2007, 05:18:19 PM »

"The first thing that I don't like is that ALL of these big box stores are run by corporate THUGS who are only interested in money, money, and more money.  They don't care about anything but the bottom line: money.  They'll sell whatever the law allows simply to make a little bit more.  It sickens me.  "

Yep. Corporate greed is a religion and it is often defended by the very people it preys on. Fortunatly there is some movement toward alternatives in recent times.

Costco may be unique in that they are a very ethical corporation that lives their values. Their CEO earns $250,000/year compared to the hundreds of millions in compensation for their competitors top management. Their average warehouse worker earns close to $40,000/year and has full pension and insurance benefits. They have a highly motivated, loyal work force. They are very mindfull of small local business when considering new sites.

Comsumers vote with their wallets and what they are telling vendors is that low price is THE value. Low price is their motto of the biggest of them.  When you buy from Musicians Fiend the message to the local music store that you don't value their presence in your community.

I do agree that it is just weird to think about buying a quality instrument from a wholesale store. I include Guitar Center and Sam Ash in that catagory.

TrinityGuitars

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2007, 07:24:32 PM »

Well as a Martin dealer I gata say that just stinks!  I am not that concerned with losing sales as with the detraction of the brand name all the guitar going out with out a proper setup.
Jim Holler

Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »

So, if they aren't getting their inventory from Martin, then where? Quite often these "grey market" dealers have a connection with a major dealer to flow inventory out the back door and into their stock. With the number of Costco stores about, this would have to be a sizable deal.

Ron

jimmy buffett

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 09:25:53 PM »

So, if they aren't getting their inventory from Martin, then where?

I was wondering the same thing.  How can you possibly supply a meaningful number of guitars to a chain that size and not be an authorized dealer?  Would Martin sell to Costco and not consider them to be an authorized dealer?  If they are sourced on the grey market, who would be large enough to supply the number of instruments required just to "fill the pipeline"?

Enquiring minds want to know...

jimmy

MissouriPicker

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2007, 05:12:17 AM »

I think this or a very similar topic was addressed on The Martin Forum a few months ago and the general impression wqs that the guitars sold by Costco would not be covered under warranty because Costco was not an official Martin dealer.  I don't recall the entire thread, but I believe it was explained where Costco was getting these guitars.  Some Taylors might have also been in the Costco deal.  Again, I can't recall all the details, but this was talked about.

imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2007, 12:28:22 PM »

Well as a Martin dealer I gata say that just stinks!  I am not that concerned with losing sales as with the detraction of the brand name all the guitar going out with out a proper setup.
Jim Holler

The dealers in my metro area (Madison, WI) won't even put fresh strings on a $1600 or $3200 guitar, and the HD-28 I got used had terrible setup from a dealer in the next largest metro area, and it was much of why it's naive owner was getting a custom guitar. One of the dealers blatantly said that the Martins that do not sound well help them sell a lot more Taylors and boutique brands. That was with a Taylor briefly in my arms and my 3rd trip in the shop to see if they put fresh strings on the HD-28 as promised. Thus, if there is a level of poor dealer support I can see how it happens, and Maybe Martin is selling or taking care of excess capacity with these sales.

Good merchants usually survive. My area has  shops that compete with Guitar Center or area computer stores that compete with the Apple Store or Trek Bike store would be good examples.

I'm not sure what more I can do to stop lemming or mass behavior. I already live anti-sprawl, got my nice guitars from locally owned merchants and generally support my local economy with special empathy because I am a small business owner. OTOH I'm not feeling bad going into the Guitar Center close to my house when the other close store has little time for people not taking lessons from them or buying $3500-25000 guitars.
rakalm

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »

Wow,

I went to the Costco site and was surprised to see as another member posted they are not covered by the warranty.  Hard to believe Martin would sell to them.  The discount on a D-28 is only 28%.  All of my local dealers would beat that.  I will forward an email to one of the reps I have had contact with to express concern over their less than customer focused approach with this move.

angry mad angry
imwjl

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2007, 04:07:43 PM »

Wow,

I went to the Costco site and was surprised to see as another member posted they are not covered by the warranty.  Hard to believe Martin would sell to them.  The discount on a D-28 is only 28%.  All of my local dealers would beat that.  I will forward an email to one of the reps I have had contact with to express concern over their less than customer focused approach with this move.

angry mad angry

I have no ideas about the dealers by you, but as far as "less than customer focused approach" goes it could be the opposite when the new Costco opens by me. I say that because Guitar Center in my area does little service to the brand with no setup, typically beat up stock and dead strings to go along with it and the other dealer does not disguise their preference to sell Taylor, Collings, Santa Cruz, Huss & Dalton and the R. Taylor Taylors. It means one really wanting a Martin can probably get one not beat up at take to one of two local luthiers for a setup if needed.

Of course choice one for me would be my preferred dealer selling Martin.
drssyoon

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2007, 02:08:19 PM »

Also, remember that Costco has probably one of the best return policy in the business. You can pretty much bring back anything at anytime. Some people abuse this policy, but it does give you a piece of mind.
Cowgirlie

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2007, 02:58:48 PM »

I hear ya, I hear ya, but I have also stepped in and defended big box stores and the luthiers who sell through them. It's free enterpise folks. I don't begrudge Martin seeking to make more money and make guitars more accessable. Heck if you asked my 80 year old mother where a guitar shop was, she would have to stop and think, but she knows right where Costco is, and she has been exposed to guitars for more than 40 years (through me)
She would buy a guitar for a grandkid if she could use her Costco card which gives her airline miles.
And luthers could make a point to take their cards to their local Costco for the sales people to give to the buyers for a set up, right?
And no, I'm not gonna order from Costco when I want a guitar, I am confident enought to buy privately, and have good personal relationships with great dealers, but then, that confidence is key. Some folks feel safer at familiar Costco...and it is a great company.

Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2007, 03:01:25 PM »

I guess I'll be the Archie Bunker of the bunch and just say that it seems completely "unAmerican" to me to sell guitars at Costco/WalMart/Target or anywhere else like that.  What's next...guitars at Home Depot? 

The first thing that I don't like is that ALL of these big box stores are run by corporate THUGS who are only interested in money, money, and more money.  They don't care about anything but the bottom line: money.  They'll sell whatever the law allows simply to make a little bit more.  It sickens me. 

There is nothing wrong with ambition and wanting to be successful, but when is enough actually enough with these folks?  The answer is simple: never.  They won't stop until they've put every small dealer of EVERYTHING out of business.  They not only want to put the hardware stores out of business, but the grocery stores, shoe stores, clothings stores, and now guitar shops. 

It may be convenient to get everything in one place, but it's robbed us of something as a culture to move toward this stuff.  I like to listen to my grandmother talk about the old drug stores, grocery stores, etc. of yesteryear. You got to know the butcher, the pharmacist, etc. personally.  Now it's just one trip down to the soulless WalMart to get everything all at once.  And on top of that you get to get checked out by some kid with tattoos on his neck and corks stuck in his ears, and you even have the option to use Spanish on the clever little machine that lets you swipe your ATM card to pay.  But hey, at least there's some old guy at the door being paid to be nice to you and pretend like he cares that you stopped in. 

We've lost something as a culture in all of this.  Something that was important, but it's all but gone now.  I hate it and try my best to not be a part of it all. 

Screw Martin and Taylor for putting their guitars in these stores and for feeding the greed machine that they have become a part of. They're as bad as the guys running these places.  All they care about anymore is money as well.  Once upon a time a guy named Martin built gutiars because he probably loved music and wanted to build fine instruments.  I'm sure he wanted to make a living as well, which there's nothing wrong with, but I'm pretty sure this isn't what he had in mind.

yak

Yeah, and screw all of those Americans, young and old, who hold Costco stock in their retirement accounts.  And while you're at it, screw those kids who have Costco stock in their college funds.  For good measure, screw all of those untold millions of Americans who shop at Costco.  Screw 'em all.
PS.....screw all of the Costco employees while you're at it...why should they be allowed to earn a living.
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2007, 05:23:08 PM »

Creature wrote:

"And on top of that you get to get checked out by some kid with tattoos on his neck and corks stuck in his ears, and you even have the option to use Spanish on the clever little machine that lets you swipe your ATM card to pay."

Creature, I agreed with you until you said the above. Would you prefer we all look like the salesmen at Sears? I smell a contradiction here in your desire to preserve the little guys.

I'm not necessarily concerned about people agreeing or disagreeing with me, but if you "smell a contradiction", then come on out with it.
bearsville0
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2007, 02:26:09 AM »

Quote from: bearsville0 on September 08, 2007, 08:30:37 AM
"""Creature wrote:
i]"And on top of that you get to get checked out by some kid with tattoos on his neck and corks stuck in his ears, and you even have the option to use Spanish on the clever little machine that lets you swipe your ATM card to pay."

Creature, I agreed with you until you said the above. Would you prefer we all look like the salesmen at Sears? I smell a contradiction here in your desire to preserve the little guys.

"I'm not necessarily concerned about people agreeing or disagreeing with me, but if you "smell a contradiction", then come on out with it."

Okay, it may not be a contradiction, but a derogatory comment about certain people and a certain language that I found offensive to my desire and preference for diversity.

If it sounds good, it is good.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2007, 03:22:04 AM »

Quote from: bearsville0 on September 08, 2007, 08:30:37 AM
"""Creature wrote:
i]"And on top of that you get to get checked out by some kid with tattoos on his neck and corks stuck in his ears, and you even have the option to use Spanish on the clever little machine that lets you swipe your ATM card to pay."

"I'm not necessarily concerned about people agreeing or disagreeing with me, but if you "smell a contradiction", then come on out with it."

Okay, it may not be a contradiction, but a derogatory comment about certain people and a certain language that I found offensive to my desire and preference for diversity.

Well, thanks for taking back the contradiction accusation.  As for you're taking offense to what I posted, I can't do much about that. 
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2007, 03:28:02 AM »

It's called Capitalism people.  Get over it.  Move to China if you cannot tolerate it.   

Just kidding.

But that aside, Martin has done mail order and department stores for the longest time.  Heck, they even took orders from the turn of the 20th century "Costcos" (such as Ditson, etc) and PUT THEIR NAME ON IT!  Imagine buying a D35 with COSTO and CO on the headstock!  That is how Martin did business for decades.  This move is nostalgic, puts more quality guitar in the reach of persons less prone to guitar biz (and obsession as we are), and turns people on to good music who otherwise miht buy a POS.

I think we all can use the creature's motto - get over yourself.  Enjoy the guitar, not the modus operendii by which it is acquired. 

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2007, 03:32:41 AM »

Move to China.....
No need to.....it's moving here!   
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2007, 12:37:52 PM »

...Martin has done mail order and department stores for the longest time.  Heck, they even took orders from the turn of the 20th century "Costcos" (such as Ditson, etc) and PUT THEIR NAME ON IT!  Imagine buying a D35 with COSTO and CO on the headstock!  That is how Martin did business for decades. 

It's funny the paradigm we sometimes see things through to form our opinions.  There's something I did not know.  I would love to have one of those old Ditson guitars. 

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
rakalm

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »

According to Martin, they did not ship the guitars to Costco and are currently investigating the matter.  I like Costco for certain items but I don't want to see Larrivee's there either (and don't think I will). 

bjstrings

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »

It's called Capitalism people.  Get over it.  Move to China if you cannot tolerate it.

Sorry, but capitalism is here in China, too.  Just less regulated and more brutal than in the U.S. (FYI: I'm an American living in China)

Regarding Martin selling to COSTCO, its highly unlikely, IMHO.  Most likely, COSTCO bought this inventory in a bankruptcy sale or from a Martin dealer who couldn't move his inventory for some reason (the guitar market, apparently, has slowed down a bit in some places).  There's nothing a company like Martin can legally do about something like that.  Once they've sold guitars to a store, they belong to that store and the store can sell them to whomever they want (including COSTCO).  My guess is that you'll see these Martins get sold and then COSTCO will be out of the Martin business.  If they had a regular supply you'd see them showing up in their stores as well, not just on-line.  Its very common, BTW, for places like COSTCO to buy up inventory out of bankruptcy (or going-out-of-business or over-stock) or other wholesale market opportunities and get up-market brand name products at very low prices.  They can then make a big noise about it, which brings customers in the door.  Their challenge is then to keep the customers for other, less up-market, and better stocked inventory.

This, too, shall pass.

Mike

Larrivee P-10MQ
Martin 00-18 Retro
Martin 000-16SGT
Martin LX1
Washburn D10SDL
plus lots of Chinese instruments, 2 violins, 2 pianos, etc., etc.
LawDogStrgsAttach
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2007, 02:42:59 PM »

No need to.....it's moving here!   

I am afraid you are right, prophet creature.   rolleye

McIlroy AJ30 Sitka/East Indian Rosewood
Petros Walnut Creek Grand Concert
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: