Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PAVAN Guitars ?????  (Read 2254 times)
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2007, 02:08:35 PM »

DOes anyone out there have experiemce with the Pavan guitars>? Particularly the short scale either 640 or 630mm versions? Please share any opinions good or bad. I recently started taking Brazilian music guitar lessons and am considering adding one as my only nylon string.
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 03:54:17 AM »

I would ask here:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=7&submit=Go
Skip Ellis

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 04:58:20 AM »

They're supposed to be a very good value for the money. They are made in Spain for lluthier Tom Prisloe who seems to be very well thought of. He sets them up at his shop in Maine and has a very generous return policy. Google Pavan Guitars and you'll find his website with pics and descriptions -  he also has an 800 number if you want to call him - real nice guy. A also believe there's a TP-20 for sale on the Classical Guitar Forum, presently. Good LUck!
JoeInLex

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 06:52:02 PM »

Actually have been considering the purchase of a classical and my friend, who is a very accomplished Flamenco and Classical player, has owned, I think, 3 - 5 of their guitars.  He has never said anything but good about them and highly recommended the brand to me.  Of course, each guitar has its own particular sound that you'll have to rely on to be what you want considering that you will be buying unheard.  If you get the chance to play one, I think that you'll find them to be well made.

Ronniedee

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 12:12:45 PM »

I cannot comment on a shorter scale version, but I just posted and sold a regular scaled Pavan TP-20. Great value for a spanish guitar. Spanish-made is good when it comes to classical guitars. It's not up to par with a handmade instrument, but it's not priced like one either.

Tone, volume, and action were great. Did I say it was loud??? Tom Prisloe stood behind it and fixed a problem my guitar teacher found at the bridge. He picked up shipping both ways and fixed it perfectly. I simply emailed him pics and he called me immediately and asked me to send it back to him. Tom also builds his own classical guitars.

For classical guitar, check out Delcamp.net. It's a very good site for classical guitar players. It's a multi-language forum, so make sure you find the english one. I think there's a TP-20 posted for sale there still.

If you buy from Tom, he allows a trial period. I A-B'd mine against several guitars priced above what I paid and preferred the Pavan. I also allowed my teacher to inspect it and run it through its paces and he approved.

Tony Burns

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 07:11:31 AM »

I have heard good things about the Pavan classical guitars - as well as the Lucida Concerto 777 --Yes the Acoustic guitar magazine forum has a classical guitar section , and they are super ( i hang my hat their as well )  by the way I love my Lucida Concerto , that as well is an excellent buy for the money !
Ronniedee

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:41:18 AM »

Funny you say that. The Lucida Concerto 777 was the other guitar I was seriously considering buying online. I don't remember what made me opt for the Pavan, but I have no doubt that your Lucida is a fabulous guitar for the buck Hope you enjoy it.
Tony Burns

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 09:26:01 AM »

The Lucida Concerto is a super guitar , but the Ceder top sound is definitely different sounding than a spruce one - you really need to try one out before you buy - they are a different animal , It is everything they said it is - a decent instrument and well made - the only classical most people would ever need. Prudencio Saez makes this guitar ( thou they dont advertise it - they have the same guitar but with their name on it -- which sell for a few hndred more )
I will probably in the near future be looking for a decent spruce top guitar and the Pavan is one I will give serious thought to !
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 01:51:19 PM »

Thanks to all who commented... I got way lucky last week and came accross one  (a standard 2006 spruce top TP-30) in perfect condition on eBAY that was for sale by a local seller. An email and a phone call later, I was checking it out and buying it at lunchtime last Wed. Though wide (at nut) the neck has a comfprtably shallow profile. Great tone, feels relatively easy to play and sensitive to what you bring to the party.  Felt comfortabel enough that I decided to forego the short scale version.

Guitar teacher, other students and friends have all given the thumbs up. Having them play it gave me a chance to hear it from the listeners perspective and it is surprisingly loud too. Icing on the cake, it was as mint as they come (with an extra set of Savarez red cards) for less than 1/2 of Prisloe's current selling price. He is quite the nice fellow. I called for info about the guitar, wwhen I told him the price and condition, he himself, said to jump on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: