Coffee: What are you currently brewing?

Started by Caleb, August 26, 2007, 12:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on August 28, 2007, 03:21:58 PM
Never tried the between roast, but I know it has a following.  In grad school, I worked for CC's and lived just a few blocks from Cafe DuMonde - chicory never did it for me, but then again, it is intended to be mixed with some cream.  Let us know how you like it!

I brewed up the Between Roast this morning and it tasted great.  Sinice it's a little lighter roast than I'm used to I put in an extra scoop.....or two....or three....can't remember.
:laughin:
But the end result was a nice full, rich, and almost sweet-ish at times cup of coffee.  I tried a cup with some Land-O-Lakes half and half, some with whole milk (which is my normal routine), and some plain black.  It was great each time, but better with them whole milk IMO. 

I used to get that Chickory coffee in the yellow can with the French name called Cafe de somthing-or-another.  I liked it, but I just stopped drinking it for some reason.  For some odd reason I really like Chickory coffee on campouts.

Speaking of Sumatra.....  I'm not sure why, but all Sumatra coffee has a hint of tree bark or dirt flavor to me.  That probably sounds insane, but whenever I drink it I can always remember getting creamed in football practice and tasting the dirt. 
:arrow

Quote from: the creature on August 28, 2007, 05:36:44 PM

I used to get that Chickory coffee in the yellow can with the French name called Cafe de somthing-or-another.  I liked it, but I just stopped drinking it for some reason.  For some odd reason I really like Chickory coffee on campouts.

You are thinking of Cafe DuMonde coffee I believe.  It's from the famous coffee and begnet house of the same name in New Orleans.   There's nothing like sitting in their outdoor terrace and sipping a good strong cup of their chicory coffee and eating begnets.   By mid morning there's about and inch of powdered sugar all over the concrete floor.  One of the best places to "people watch" I've ever been to.

Quote from: tuffythepug on August 28, 2007, 06:03:30 PM
You are thinking of Cafe DuMonde coffee I believe.  It's from the famous coffee and begnet house of the same name in New Orleans.   There's nothing like sitting in their outdoor terrace and sipping a good strong cup of their chicory coffee and eating begnets.   By mid morning there's about and inch of powdered sugar all over the concrete floor.  One of the best places to "people watch" I've ever been to.
Yep, that's the place.  I passed by there the one and only time I went to New Orleans.  I wonder if that place survived Katrina?

Quote from: the creature on August 28, 2007, 06:42:17 PM
Yep, that's the place.  I passed by there the one and only time I went to New Orleans.  I wonder if that place survived Katrina?

It survived with some very minor damage.  It's on the edge of the French Quarter which was not as severely damaged as rest of the Big Easy.  Still going strong.

Mocha Java or French roast with a bit of Sumatra.

New Mexican pottery coffee mugs made by Blaisdell

Cuisinart 4-cup cone filter.

Coffee....the most important meal of the day.
Larry

<1 or 2 nice ones>

I'll tell you what coffee I don't like, generally...when I'm on the road for work and I make coffee from the makers in the hotel rooms...  like today for example, yuk!
bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte

I must admit I am an anti Starbucks person. We have a great local shop and Starbucks and Tim Hortans built right in front of this guy. He is still doing fine with the big name guys on his front step. Makes a great strong cup of African blend he calls African Love.
Jim Holler, Luthier
Trinity Guitars
www.TrinityGuitars.com

This morning I brewed up a pot of Community Coffee New Orleans blend with chickory.  The bag suggests to drink it New Orleans style with heavy cream and sugar.
:yak:
To me the quickest way to ruin a good cup of coffee....or make a bad cup worse....is to load it up with sugar. 

But....  Then I tried it creature style with just a splash of whole milk and it was killer.
:thumbsup

I'll be brewing this up for the next few mornings.  It's not listed as a "dark" blend, but it's stronger than CC's dark roast.

Quote from: the creature on August 30, 2007, 07:11:52 PM
This morning I brewed up a pot of Community Coffee New Orleans blend with chickory.  The bag suggests to drink it New Orleans style with heavy cream and sugar.
To me the quickest way to ruin a good cup of coffee....or make a bad cup worse....is to load it up with sugar. 

But....  Then I tried it creature style with just a splash of whole milk and it was killer.

I'll be brewing this up for the next few mornings.  It's not listed as a "dark" blend, but it's stronger than CC's dark roast.

Creature........... you might want to try "Espresso Roast" from Community Coffee.
C.C. Dark Roast is served all over Town around hereit's the norm...

" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society

Quote from: SteveO on August 30, 2007, 08:34:38 PM
Creature........... you might want to try "Espresso Roast" from Community Coffee.
C.C. Dark Roast is served all over Town around hereit's the norm...

I guess I'll have to special order some CC espresso.  I'd like to get it whole bean and grind it up to almost turkish, then put it in my old hand-cranker espresso machine and let 'er rip.  I bet it would be good in the press too.
  :coffee
Where do you live?

Quote from: the creature on August 30, 2007, 09:09:47 PM
I guess I'll have to special order some CC espresso.  I'd like to get it whole bean and grind it up to almost turkish, then put it in my old hand-cranker espresso machine and let 'er rip.  I bet it would be good in the press too.
  :coffee
Where do you live?

"Smack Dab in Da Middle of a Louisiana"
Alexandria / Pineville  Area
I used to live down in Calcasieu (pronounced Cal Ka Shoo) and Cameron Parish Area
(Da Swamps an Bayous Of Lou~wee~zee~an)

Ps; Email or Pm me I'll see about get'n you some (Whole Bean)

Proud Member:

Quote from: the creature on August 30, 2007, 07:11:52 PM

You are correct - The New Orleans blend (if I recall from working there) is based off the medium roast, but chicory is added.  Chicory gives it the midnight-black color and depth and the bitter aftertaste.  I agree sugar completely ruins good brew, but I am also convinced milk is need for chicory coffees - not that I cannot stomach the taste, it is just deisgned that way - hand and glove.

SteveO - you live in Pineville!?!  I spend 4 years there my self and graduated from Elsee.

Maybe I haven't attained a pallet for high end caffeine... and at the risk of offending the more appreciative sippers... I start my mornings with my drip machine and some good ol' Yuban. Silly as it sounds, it just does it for me.

However, I will more than agree with Creature and say that a cop of French Roast pressed makes my morning eye opener seem dull and lacking. But, more to the point of me joining this thread...

Anyone enjoy white coffee? It is an unroasted been and doesn't have a traditional "coffee" taste. It adds just a touch of sweetness. On a hot day I will take some chocolate milk and mix it with a shot or two of mint flavoring and add a couple shots of white coffee. Blend it up with ice into a milk shake consistency and it tastes exactly like a Creme de Mint chocolate you get as an after dinner treat. The white coffee shot has about 1.5 times the caffeine compared to a roasted coffee shot, but no bitterness and no acidity. Keeps the stomach calm and still gives you a good jolt.

May not be for the true coffee aficionados, but sure does it for us caffeine junkies!
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

I've never heard of white coffee.  Sounds interesting though.  It sounds like something that I'd like to learn more about.  We have meetings in our home twice a week where I set up the creature's coffee explosion....my own version of an in-house coffee bar.  It'll make you line up and throw rocks at the green machine.  Over the years we've come up with several drinks and some killer combinations.  I've got my press, espresso machine, and stovetop perk  and we break it all out.  We have a menu and make drinks for all who attend.  Most of my drinks have names. and all of my non-coffee drinkers normally have our "Ultmate Chocolate Milk" or a chai tea latte
Who's the numb-skull who came up with the bright idea to put black pepper in tea?  Oh well, some folks like it. Not sure why though.
I think this white coffee stuff would be cool to add to the menu. 

Quote from: LawDogStrgsAttach on August 31, 2007, 09:36:00 AM
SteveO - you live in Pineville!?!  I spend 4 years there my self and graduated from Elsee.

You got it LDSA........Hwy.71 by the VA

Well for desert coffee I kinda use Pecan Praline Syrup and a dash of heavy Cream

Proud Member:

Right on...if you are going to put cream in coffee, make it heavy whipping cream.  None of this "coffee creamer" stuff.  Half and half?  Wouldn't even think about using that in my joe.  Go for the heavy cream...forget about the diet   :wink:
OM-03 MT Custom (Cree Studios "Fish Guitar")

any old coffee used to work for me but ever since i went to costa rica on a mission trip and tasted real coffee ive never turned back. their stuff makes folgers and the likes taste like dirt. if you ever get a chance to get your hands on any coffee from costa rica do so and enjoy!
in His grasp,
brandon

D-60 (rosie)
OMV-50
O-60

I live in Montreal. So for espresso, and any other coffee, I recommned you go to Union Coffee on Jean-Talon Street, if you're ever there on a visit. For espression. I grind the coffee (at home) very, very fine; this gives me the crema and rich, sweet taste. I use a Gaggia espresso machine, and the secret to mey making a good espresso is grinding the cofee very, very finely (at a setting of "10" on my rancilio coffee grinder.