Gibson LG- Ladder braced or X braced???

Started by Johnny Canso, August 22, 2007, 05:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is ladder bracing and what are differences between a LG1(Ladder) and LG2(X)??? :?
1948 Gibson LG-2
1970 Martin D-18
1971 Martin 000-18
1974 Larrivee 12-String
1978 Larrivee L09-R

I am not really knowledgeable about bracing but I have a really nice little LG1.  I am the original owner.  It was given to me along with equally unappreciated lessons as a child.  The lessons lasted a few months and I didn't try and learn to play until recently, but I kept the guitar.  Recently had a new bridge made for it.  Its fun to play.  Did some research on th guitars a while back and will copy what I found below for you to look at.  Always happy to talk about it so let me know if you have questions.

jeff

looks like the picture didn't copy.  can send it to you in an email attachment if you are interested.

Jeff's Gibson Lg-1

Late 1940's LG-1. Note the narrow 14.25" body width.

LG-0, LG-1, LG-2, LG-3, B-25, B-25N Flattops
Collectibility: the LG-2, LG-3, due to their "X" bracing, are much better instruments than the LG-0, LG-1 models. B-25 and B-25N models, although X-braced, are constructed with adjustable bridges and other 1960's features that make them undesirable. Unfortunately, since all models are essentially student models with narrow 14 1/8" wide bodies (2" narrower than a J-45, and .5" narrower than an L-00) and are quite plentiful, they are not real collectible (though the script logo LG-2/LG-3 are quite good for their size).
Script logo (pre-1947) LG-2, LG-3: D+, all others: D--.
LG-0: 1958 to 1974. mahogany top, ladder braced, natural.
LG-1: 1947 to 1968, spruce top, ladder braced, sunburst.
LG-2: 1942 to 1962. X braced spruce top, sunburst (replaced by B-25)
LG-3: 1946 to 1963 X braced spruce top, natural (replaced by B-25N)
B-25, B-25N: 1962 to 1977. X braced spruce top.
All are 14 1/8" wide, mahogany back and sides (except for some WW2 models with maple back and sides), round back-shaped mahogany neck (except during WW2, when maple necks were used), dot fingerboard inlays, 24.75" scale length, silkscreen gold decal "Gibson" logo. The "X" braced models (LG-2, LG-3) are decent little guitars. The ladder braced LG-0 and LG-1 are not very good, essentially beginner's guitars.   
1958 LG-0 introduction specs:
Mahogany top, mahogany back, laminate mahogany sides, straight ladder bracing, black bridge pins, screw-on black pickguard, tortoise binding on top and back, 3 on-a-plate tuners, rectangle rosewood bridge, rosewood fingerboard, 20 frets total, natural finish. Bridge pad was spruce, which unfortunately would wear out from the string's ball-ends.
In 1962 plastic bridge used. $85 list price.
In 1963 an injection molded styrene pickguard was used.
In 1966 rosewood bridge with adjustable saddle was used.
In 1969 spruce top and bottom belly bridge.
In 1974 discontinued.

1947 LG-1 introduction specs:
Spruce top, straight ladder bracing, mahogany back, laminate mahogany sides, mahogany neck, rectangle bridge with black pins, single bound top and back, dark sunburst finish (darker than the LG-2, to hide the lower quality spruce top).
In 1955 larger pickguard with point, and 20 frets total.
In 1962 plastic top belly bridge. $105 list price.
Discontinued in 1968.
1942 LG-2 introduction specs:
Spruce single "X" braced top, solid mahogany back and sides, multiple bound top and back, fire strip pickguard, 19 total frets, rosewood fingerboard, rectangle rosewood bridge with black bridge pins, two pearl dots on bridge, dot fingerboard inlays, 3 on-a-plate tuners, sunburst finish. Some war-time models have a mahogany top.
In 1943 standard tortoise pickguard, single bound top and back.
In 1947 the "banner" is dropped (still a script "Gibson" peghead logo).
In 1948 goes to a "block" Gibson peghead logo.
In 1949 a 3/4 scale (23") LG-2 was introduced, with ladder bracing.
In 1955 larger pickguard with point, 20 frets total, lower braces.
In 1961 has cherry sunburst finish, adjustable top belly bridge, white pins, $115.
In late 1962 replaced by B-25.
1950s and early LG-2 models are actually a decent little guitar, since it has "X" bracing.

1946 LG-3 introduction specs:
Spruce single "X" braced top, solid mahogany back and sides, multiple bound top, single bound back, teardrop tortoise pickguard, 19 total frets, rosewood fingerboard, rectangle rosewood bridge with white bridge pins, two pearl dots on bridge, dot fingerboard inlays, 3 on-a-plate tuners, natural finish. The LG-3 is essentially an LG-2 with a natural top finish. Note some literature has the LG-3 as being introduced in 1942; this is incorrect (no natural finish Gibson guitars were available during WW2).
In 1947 the "banner" is dropped (still a script "Gibson" peghead logo).
In 1948 goes to a "block" Gibson peghead logo.
In 1955 larger pickguard with point, 20 frets total, lower braces.
In 1961 adjustable top belly bridge.
In 1962 bridge becomes plastic, $127.50 list price.
In 1963 Replaced by B-25N.

1962 B-25 introduction specs:
Continuation of the LG-2 with minor changes such as triple bound w/b/w top, cherry sunburst top, plastic bridge, laminated bridge plate, thick pickguard.
Discontinued in 1977.

1962 B-25N introduction specs:
Basically the B-25 was the continuation of the LG-3 with minor changes such as cherry finish on the back and sides (only), natural top, plastic bridge, laminated bridge plate, thick pickguard.
Discontinued in 1977.

Taken from Vintage Guitars Info's Gibson Flat top Model Descriptions - History, collecting Gibson flattop vintage guitars. Private vintage guitar collector. Pictures, history for flat top Gibson vintage guitars.  Copyright 1995-2002 all rights reserved. - Contact the vintage guitar info guy
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

Check here for X bracing ...

and  here for ladder ...

Although I wouldn't let that sort of thing influence my buying decisions personally.  If I like a guitar enough I don't really care what it's made of or how it's braced as long as it isn't going to fall apart on me.