Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 000-50 and 00-50 in studio  (Read 2022 times)
Cowgirlie

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2007, 02:38:06 AM »

I am in Texas recording my next album, (#4) though I live 25 miles from Nashville and  ka-jillion studios, a co-producer I really wanted to use in south of Dallas, so I loaded up the guitars yesterday and made the 12 hour drive.

So, this producer is one of the best known, Most accomplished, and most awarded instrumentalists in the genre, and had at his disposal a slew of Gibsons, Taylors, and Martins. I saw them hanging on big racks (6 guitars on each rack) and wondered what he would grab for each track.
As we were starting, he asked me "What guitar were you playing on these (five or six cuts) demos?" I told him it was my 000-50. He said,
"I don't want to talk you out of anything, but I think you need to play these, on that guitar" We did that, and the 000 just sounded incredible recorded.

Next, we had some songs on which I really wanted HIS style of playing, and his unique guitar flavorings. He ran through the first one on one of his guitars, and it sounded fine...and then he said, "Mind if I play one of yours?" I had the 00-50 in the room with him, and the 000-50 in the other room with me..."Which one you want?"
He picked up the 00, picked a few notes, said "Let me try this one"
Well, WOW. He tried another guitar of his again, and after two lines he put it down, and picked up the 00 again.

On to the next song, he picked up a gut string of his, a pricey one, and after a run-through on a verse and chorus, he chuckled, set that guitar down, and picked up my 00 again.
At the end of day one, he said "I don't know why more people don't play Larrivees, they just sound so great."

Tomorrow we go at it again, and I'm so thrilled my Larrivees are the stars!

Larrivee LS-10 Custom "Jesse"
Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
Oscar Schmidt OU-5 concert uke "Abalone & Cheese"
Makai MT-70 tenor uke "Kimme"
Martin M3 Soprano Uke "LJ"
A couple non descript cl
SteveO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:53:24 AM »

Sounds like Fun...Congrats on the CD(album)

" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 05:40:05 AM »

Another ringing endorsement from a guy who should know what he's talking about.  There really is something special about these Larrivees isn't there.  Congratulations on your upcoming new release.  Hope the sesssion continues to be enjoyable.

For some reason the 000-50 model has gotten lots of praise here on the forum in the past few months.   Being a lefty I doubt that I'll run across one I could play in a store anytime soon but I'd love to try one out;  also would like to give a 00-50 a little workout.

Cowgirlie I believe you have a couple of  L bodies  also don't you ?  If you were to try to convice me that I needed a 000-50 to go along with my L-10 and OM-03R what would you say ?   How does the 000-50 compare to your Ls soundwise ?
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »

If you're ever in NH Tuffy let me know and I'll let you try out my 000-50.

The 000-50 are very full and resonant with a nice mid range punch.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
Cowgirlie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:46:16 PM »

Yeah, what he said. Full of punch.
I have one LS, one L.
I will say this, knowing some folks will chime in to say how much they love their other models and that they don't want "fancy" guitars . OK OK fine.
My 000-50 is the best sounding guitar I have for what I do. I LOVE my 00-50, and my beautiful FANCY LS, am using the 00 for some cuts ont the new album...but the 000 is my first pick for it's tone and quality of colorful sound.

Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
A couple non descript cl
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:49:20 PM »

I'll agree whole-heartedly with the 00-50,  000-50 assessment.  I own a 000-50 and two 00-50s and not only do they sound great but they're also good-looking.  I picked up the second 00-50 as a dealer was unloading dis-continued models.  I got it for a great price.  Eventually one has to go but it's tough deciding which one sounds the best.

s
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »

If you're ever in NH Tuffy let me know and I'll let you try out my 000-50.

The 000-50 are very full and resonant with a nice mid range punch.

Thanks Jeff !   If I'm ever in NH I'll take you up on it.
bluesman67
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 03:42:55 PM »

Lynn's got the 000 bug now!

Best of luck with the new CD Cowgirlie!

bluesman67
HOGTOP CHARLOTTE

www.reverbnation.com/hogtopcharlotte
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 12:06:48 PM »

Nice story. It matches my experience with recording engineers and Larrrivées. They tend to be very impressed with their recordability. My OOO-50 is a magnificent beast.
Parlor Picker

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 03:00:25 PM »

I might have to change my forum ID to Green with Envy.  I've never played any of them, but I really fancy a 00-50, 000-50 and/or 000-60.  They rarely come up for sale at an affordable price here in the UK.  Oh well, I can dream...

I think Cowgirlie's experience should be posted on some other forums, such as Martin, Taylor, etc.  She's arguably preaching to the converted here.

Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »

I've only ever tried a 000-60 and while it was superb, I know that with my penchant for mahogany Larrivees that if ever I got to try a 000-50, I would be hooked for sure....

Good thing there aren't any to try in my neck of the woods

SR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 07:48:39 PM »

Congrats Cowgirlie  sounds like your having a blast recording.
That's Cool that you getting to use your guitars on your new cd,and
maybe your producer will even add a few new guitars to his collection.  bigrin

OH and congrats on being listed in the Larrivee Website Artist Section. 

Cowgirlie

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 04:50:17 AM »

I've only ever tried a 000-60 and while it was superb, I know that with my penchant for mahogany Larrivees that if ever I got to try a 000-50, I would be hooked for sure....

Good thing there aren't any to try in my neck of the woods

You would be most welcome to play mine sometime, if we are ever in the same part of the world.
My producer is sold. He and the engineer were just wowed by the great sounds.

Larrivee 000-50 "Emma"
Larrivee 00-50 "Dublin"
Larrivee 00-60 "Rose"
Larrivee L-03 Koa "Hula"
Martin 5-18 ('57) "Tink"
Banjitar  "Plinky"
Baby Taylor "Lichious"
Taylor GC-5 E
A couple non descript cl
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 11:12:21 AM »

Now that is a ringing endorsement! Thanks for sharing that story. Seems  microphones love Larrivees. I live in the heart of bluegrass country where the Martin dread sound in entrenched and have seen a lot of players struggle to get good tone miking their instruments. In the studio they are often even more challenged. Can you please let me know when your album is released. Can't wait to hear it.
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 12:35:57 PM »

You would be most welcome to play mine sometime, if we are ever in the same part of the world.
My producer is sold. He and the engineer were just wowed by the great sounds.

I would be most honored to play any of your guitars Juni.  Coming to Canada's capital region anytime soon?

It would be great to meet and I could pick a little...or a lot...either or both!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: