Zorb-it

Started by greatgit, August 11, 2007, 10:23:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

After a couple of months of hygrometer readings in the 66-67% range, I decided to try Zorb-It dessicants in my case to see if I could bring it down around 45 to 50%.  I ordered the ones they recommend for musical instruments.  Well, its been a week and the case hygrometer reading is still 66%!  I wonder if the case has to be airtight to see any difference in the humidity level?  Anyone else tried these things? 

I live in southeast Louisiana where humidity is a way of life.  I have a very nice french polished classical guitar (Kenny Hill Master Series) and keeping a Zorb-it in the case works quite well.  I bought the guitar from a guy who lived in Florida for years and who is an accomplished professional guitarist - he strongly recommended the Zorb-it and it's done the trick for me.   

I live in Central Louisiana and I leave my guitars out on their stands and have no problem with them.
Although I keep the place climitized<sp> and relativity cool for the heat and humidity.
Remember refridgeration takes the moister out of the air and heat exchanges it...

Winter time is another story... :humour:
" It's all about the Journey "

Proud Member:
"I Ain't Go'n Down That Road Feelin Bad No More" Society

Quote from: dogsnax on August 11, 2007, 05:56:29 PM
I live in southeast Louisiana where humidity is a way of life.  I have a very nice french polished classical guitar (Kenny Hill Master Series) and keeping a Zorb-it in the case works quite well.  I bought the guitar from a guy who lived in Florida for years and who is an accomplished professional guitarist - he strongly recommended the Zorb-it and it's done the trick for me.   

Interesting.  Do you actually keep it in the case with a hygrometer?  What is normal for your humidity level in your house and how much lower is it in the guitar case?

I must confess I don't take too technical of an approach to the process.  No hydrometer in the case, but I do know my guitar seems to sound great and it doesn't display any of the symptoms of excess humitidy, e.g., muddy sound, bowing top, etc.  If you keep your guitar in its case when not playing, a desicant (sp?) probably does a good job keeping the environment inside the case reasonably dry.