String tension

Started by JohnM2001, July 25, 2007, 08:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just curious, concerning steel strings, do all steel string sets labelled as Light (typically .012 - .053) have the same tension, or are there certain brands that have less tension?  I usually like Elixir Nano Light strings, do they have any less/more tension than other brands?
D-02E

Admittedly, I don't know. However, thinking about it (a dangerous proposal by itself), I would imagine that they all have different tensions. Even though the thicknesses are the same, different materials will take different tensions to reach the same note. Factor in manufacturing differences along with what the core string is shaped like, and I would almost guarantee it. But, I would think that the actual tension differences would be minuscule. The tech department at a string company could probably tell you if you call them. I doubt anyone else has actually ever measured it since there would be such a small percentage difference when comparing.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

Go to: 

http://www.juststrings.com/acousticguitar.html

When you select a specific string type (i.e.) D'Addario 80/20, they generally show the string tension, and it is not always the same from set to set, or manufacturer to manufacturer.  Take a look:

http://www.juststrings.com/dad-ej10.html

jimmy

If you're looking for lower tension, try and find some Newtones.  The manufacturers claim (rightly I believe) that they reach pitch at a lower tension than other types.

They also sound great and last a long time in my experience.  However, as mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I find the lack of tension does not make them the best strings for a short scale length guitar, such as a Larrivée Parlor.
Larrivée Limited Edition Rosewood Parlor (2003)
plus various other acoustic guitars and one ukulele

This may just "muddy the waters", but there is a very comprehensive guide to strings tensions to be found on the D'Addario" site here.

Also, Dutch guitarist and physicist Eltjo Haselhoff has written a very interesting article on string tension and dropped tunings on his website here.
Ian (in Cedar Creek, TX)
1974 Eko Ranger VI
2002 Larrivee LV10E
2007 McIlroy A25C

"When you're tired, and can't do anything, don't do anything. And while you're not doing anything, practice" - Robert Fripp

My understanding is that the main factor to string tension for a certain guage is the size of the core wire.  A 53 low E string can be made with any number sizes of core wire.  When you tune you are only bringing the core wire to pitch, not the winding.  So the tension for a light guage set of strings will go up in relation to the size of the core wire.

Russ
Larrivee 000-50TSB (on the way!!!!)
2007 Simon Fay Prototype (WR Cedar/Claro Walnut)
2005 Martin OM-21

They're all going to have similar tension but some will feel more flexible than others.  That's due to how they're made.  The tension is a function of the mass of the string and the pitch it's tuned to and the scale length.

A string with a heavier core wire will make it feel tighter but doesn't affect the mass necessarily.  One with a lighter core wire will feel softer.

I haven't tried Newtones ... I live in a small town and won't buy something I can't get locally ... but of the more common ones I've found d'Addario and Pearse feel the best.  Pearse are my faves ... they really have a great feel for finger style and work just as well with a pick.