Acoustic Blender choice

Started by moga, August 10, 2007, 12:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have K&K trinity system..
i think preamp that comes with K&K got some limitation on it..

i found after i tried with D-Tar Solstire...

any other blenders you guys recommend?

I have the K&K Trinity preamp as well and IT IS VERY LIMITED! Tried callling their customer service in regards to their quantum blender and found them to be HORRIBLE! Basically it was can't help you, many musicians use the trinity amp with great sauces must be your problem now I have to get off the phone! I was really disappointed because the trinity system sounds SOOOOO good in my 000-60 when you are able to control the mic from feeding back. Great Pickups, lousy preamp design, and far worse customer service. I was thinking of putting  the PWM in two more instruments because they are a bit more hassle free than the blended system but now I don't know if I want to purchase from the company any longer. I may try to find something else but I supposegreat sound may trump crappy customer service but it sure galls me that I need to make that choice. You spend four hundred bucks plus for a trinity system and a set of PWM for 2 instruments and tell them when you call you are thinking of installing another PWM and another Trinity in two more guitars and they don't have the time to help you figure out the right set up for THEIR products! I imagine the Quantum Blender is a great piece of gear but near $400 on top of the pickup system to get a functional preamp soloution is simply rediculas for the AVERAGE gigging solo player!

Hi guys.  The K&K does not need the internal mic to sound great, espeically for live playing. Try it without.  Yuo can use K&K Pure preamp, the Pure XLR for a bit more, or a baggs PADI you might have lyaing around. 

Try it!  you might be surprised.

By the way, I've talked with and exchanged emails with K&K service many times.  Their service is excellent.  There must be more to that story.  I've heard doznes of good experiences and never a bad one until now.  Were you angry when you called?

Cheers,
David
So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com

Not angry at all and looking to spend more money. I really like the pickups and when the settings are correct the trinity is just incredible. I am not saying their customer service person was rude just very unhelpful and seemingly uninterested in helping me figure out what the best setup would be for me. I came away from the conversation really dissappointed. Can't win them all, I guess

Quote from: GA-ME on August 15, 2007, 04:36:16 PM
Not angry at all and looking to spend more money. I really like the pickups and when the settings are correct the trinity is just incredible. I am not saying their customer service person was rude just very unhelpful and seemingly uninterested in helping me figure out what the best setup would be for me. I came away from the conversation really dissappointed. Can't win them all, I guess

Try the folks at K&K again.  They've always been very helpful with me, and reports from dozens and dozens of other posters over the years say the same thing.  Indeed, I think you're the first person to report a bad experience with the K&K folks.

Give them another try.  Keep in mind though, that they really believe in their products, which is understandable.  You will not get an objective opinion from them regarding all products which are available.  I use a K&K mini in one of my guitars, but use other pickups and other gear for everything else.

I had L.R Baggs ParaDI..

I bought presonus Acousti-q..and it works very well..coudln't be happier..~

I have an older dual source LR Baggs Duet system in my Seagull, and the new dual source I-Mix in my Larrivee LV-10. I like them both. They are internal pre-amps, but Baggs makes an external pre-amp as well. But, with the blend and volume control mounted just inside the sound hole, it is very easy to get to and no need for barn doors in your guitar.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass

I used have LR Baggs duet system..but my experience with K&K is better..

not that LR baggs sytem is bad.it's great system.....the sound that K&K makes is the one that i like..even i use K&K preamp ...

In my experience, I can't get the optimum sound from a pickup/internal mic dual source unless the preamp/eq I use allows for separate gain and separate eq before any blending of the two sources occurs.  Not all "dual source" blenders are designed to do this.

Quote from: moga on September 04, 2007, 01:51:46 PM
I used have LR Baggs duet system..but my experience with K&K is better... not that LR baggs sytem is bad.it's great system.....

The Duet II is LR Baggs original dual source system. It used an undersaddle and a mic. The new one, the I-Mix, uses their newer undersaddle, called the Element, and the underbridge, called the I-Beam. However, you can also use the humbucking style pick up they make, called the M-1, to blend in place of either the Element or the I-Beam. You have to order a special cable to attenuate the signal, but it is as simple as unplugging the Element or I-Beam and plugging in the M-1.

I was really impressed with the technology behind the M-1. It uses a floating pickup system, which is why it has such a higher level of natural sound reproduction. The lower part of the humbucker utilizes the vibrations from the top of the guitar and the upper part picks up the string vibration. The sound reproductions is the difference between the two. Under normal circumstances you pick up string vibration only and hard mount the lower section instead of allowing it to "float". The result is a much better sound than any other humbucker acoustic style I've heard - IF you can get past the look of something in your sound hole!

The problem I had with the older Duet was feedback from the mic. You can solve this problem (somewhat) using a sound hole plug. This is less of a problem with the I-Beam, but if you have an issue, you can trade in the M-1. For a more natural sound, you can play with the I-Beam and M-1 blended.

In general, I find that every company has better systems these days. Even the undersaddle systems are far superior today than they were 10 years ago.
"The barrier to knowledge is the belief that you have it"

2006 Larrivee LV-10 MR   1980 Les Paul Custom Natural   2008 Larrivee LV-03-12   1998 Carvin LB75 Koa Bass