Modifying a Para Di for Pure Western Mini Impedence match.

Started by unsunder, June 26, 2007, 07:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I emailed lr baggs concerning the para di being a mismatch for the pwm.

Here's what they replied.

The Para D.I. has a 10MegOhm input impedance. You can place a 1MegOhm resistor between signal and ground, anywhere between the pickup and the Para D.I.'s input. It can be in the output jack of the guitar or in either end of the cable. The 1MegOhm resistor will interact with the 10MegOhm input resistor and cause the input impedance to drop to just below 1MegOhm. This should address the extra bass caused by the Para D.I.'s stock imput impedance bring so much higher than that of the pickup signal.

Does this sound correct? What's the best way to insert a resistor in a cable?
2007 D03-R > Pure Western Mini > L.R. Baggs Para DI

As they say, you can place it anywhere in the signal chain between the pickup and the input of the PADI. The easiest way to achieve this is to solder a 1 megohm resistor across the signal and ground connections of the pickup output jack.

Remove the jack from your guitar, unscrew the shield and solder one end of the resistor (polarity doesn't matter) to the white wire connection and the other end to the ground wire connection.
Ron

Quote from: ronmac on June 26, 2007, 07:32:42 PM
As they say, you can place it anywhere in the signal chain between the pickup and the input of the PADI. The easiest way to achieve this is to solder a 1 megohm resistor across the signal and ground connections of the pickup output jack.

Remove the jack from your guitar, unscrew the shield and solder one end of the resistor (polarity doesn't matter) to the white wire connection and the other end to the ground wire connection.

Is it better to install this in the jack of the guitar or in the cable? In case I ever use it without this preamp.
2007 D03-R > Pure Western Mini > L.R. Baggs Para DI

Either is OK, although if you install it in the cable you are pretty much going to be dedicating that cable to this setup only.
Ron

Hello all,

Thanks so much for the info.  I've struggled with taming the low frequencies on my OM-03R SH with pure mini's ever since I installed the pickups.  I wanted to test how this 1 Megohm resister would sound before soldering one into my endpin jack, so I wired a little 1" x 2" project box from Radio Shack with a 1/4" male and a 1/4" female (with the resistor across it) at right angles so I could plug the box right into the guitar and plug my cord into the box.  This made a HUGE difference for the better- not only in taming the lower frequencies but in making the guitar really sound more like itself when it's unplugged.  When these Cleartone's wear out, I'll remove the endpin jack and make it permanent.  Thanks for the fix!

Quote from: karl2795 on July 05, 2007, 10:11:26 AM
Hello all,

Thanks so much for the info.  I've struggled with taming the low frequencies on my OM-03R SH with pure mini's ever since I installed the pickups.  I wanted to test how this 1 Megohm resister would sound before soldering one into my endpin jack, so I wired a little 1" x 2" project box from Radio Shack with a 1/4" male and a 1/4" female (with the resistor across it) at right angles so I could plug the box right into the guitar and plug my cord into the box.  This made a HUGE difference for the better- not only in taming the lower frequencies but in making the guitar really sound more like itself when it's unplugged.  When these Cleartone's wear out, I'll remove the endpin jack and make it permanent.  Thanks for the fix!

Did you solder in a 1 or a 10 Meg resistor? Just curious.

I used a 1 meg resistor.  It seened to do the trick.

karl2795

Thanks again for the info. I installed a K&K on one of my guitars last week. It has suprising volume for a passive but the eq is all over the place patched straight into a PA. I ordered a Para DI because of the eq features.  Think I'll make up a short two foot male to female jumper with the resistor to maintain the flexibility to use the amp or pickup seperately without the mod.

I have been EQ'ing my PWM signal in my recording software to roll off the low end - I plug directly into the intstrument inputs on my PreSonus Firebox, but I'm thinking it's time to make up a cable to keep in the case with the 1 MegaOhm resistor across the signal/ground wires.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud