Guardian Fiberglass cases

Started by dbirchett, July 26, 2007, 03:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Has anyone seen or used one of these cases? They look sturdy from the pictures but who knows?  :?
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

I have seen them, they are very nice cases, very sturdy and a great value for the money. You can get them for less than the MAP, sometimes dealers put them on ebay with the best offer alternative. Although not a dealer, here is a new one that you could get at a good price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Guardian-Fiberglass-Dreadnought-Guitar-Case_W0QQitemZ200133242537QQihZ010QQcategoryZ41409QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, Steve. That looks to be a great price. Has anyone tried the L body in the D case? Larrivee uses the same case for both.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

According to their website "These cases are great for players looking for complete protection from low to medium-level impact." 

Ron

Ive heard their not half the case that a calton is - but caltons are almost 1000 bucks not 125 , makes one wonder if theirs anything else out their -

OK, I just got one of these off of Ebay for $99.99 plus shipping. ($124.99). The seller keeps listing them forr $99.99 with a BIN for $125.

Good News: It fits an L body, perfectly. It also fits the 12 string extended peghead (just barely). No movement of the body whatsoever.

Initial impression. Probably an improvement over the basic Larrivee Case. Definitely not in the same league as a Mark or Calton. Light case in weight. Not a bad deal but not what I was hoping for. I will probably use it for one of my LVs.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Don,

Did you try your D-09 in it, I see they are listed as dreadnought size...

Greg
Greg

Larrivée L-05 Red Spruce Top
DeArmond M-68 Moon Blue
Fender Bullet S-2 Sunburst
Fender Telecaster Thinline
Peavey Predator

Greg, I just tried it and I must confess, seeing how snugly it fit the LV that I was skeptical as to whether the deeper dreadnaught would fit. My fears were not justified tho' and it fits just fine -- like a glove.

The description of protection from low to medium level impact is probably accurate. It would not withstand the FedEX truck or forklift or whatever it was that did in my D-18 but probably nothing short of a Calton would do that, if that. A guitar inside it would probably not survive unscathed the collision with a falling 10 gal. "jerry" can of water that first beset my D-18 and prompted the purchase of the thermoplastic case in the first place. Given that, it probably is as protective as a decent arched plywood case and probably better than the ones that came with my -03 models.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Is anyone familiar with the Eastman guitar cases. They appear to be the same case as these.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

Their are other cases out their - but names ?

I'd like to see an OM size, with the option of selecting from a variety of colors.  I don't know how many times I thought I was reaching for a certain guitar, only to open the case and discover it was the wrong guitar.

If you have more than 1 OM orDread size, it would be nice to color code them.... :+1:
Greg

Larrivée L-05 Red Spruce Top
DeArmond M-68 Moon Blue
Fender Bullet S-2 Sunburst
Fender Telecaster Thinline
Peavey Predator

Quote from: Cybenator on August 18, 2007, 11:18:33 AM
I'd like to see an OM size, with the option of selecting from a variety of colors.  I don't know how many times I thought I was reaching for a certain guitar, only to open the case and discover it was the wrong guitar.

If you have more than 1 OM orDread size, it would be nice to color code them.... :+1:

I read someplace that Guardian will be coming out with different sized cases. They currently have two colors, Dark Grey and Light Grey, which is the one I have.

Eastman cases, which look quite similar, come in several colors, Black, White, Red, Yellow, Green, Blue and Silver. I have not seen them in person (haven't even seen an Eastman guitar) but from pictures appear to have a different neck support and also an extra clasp on the lower bout, hinge side.

Eastman is just starting to make a line of flattop guitars available but they do list an OM so I believe that they would have the fiberglass case available.

When I made the comments about the strength earlier, I have not tested the case in any way and I hope that my cases are never put to the test again. It is a good sturdy case. Probably not up to Calton standards but probably as good as most anything else out there. And mine, at least, was at a great price. Wouldn't mind finding one in Dark Grey at the same price to go with it.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

my mandolin case

gotta throw in mondo picture with my 80' l-10
My luthier friend build cases for each instrument he makes. Thier are ROCK solid and beautiful. Kinda feel like I need case for case.
He would make a custom case for any instrument. Of course more than standard hard shell but certainly not as much as those 1000.00 cases.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Have seen other fiberglass cases - one that had a tiger stripe look to it - jon from Jons Favorite Guitars had one with his Old D-28 , didnt get a chance to ask him about his case  - have heard theirs a case coming out of the Chek republic ( but heard their as much as the Carlton ) I have a wood Guardian Case , bought it with my Lucida Concerto -- not a terrible case , looks like a Martin Geib case- but believe me it only looks like it - its not half as well built - im guessing the fiberglass case is in the same boat-- but how can you complain about a 99 dollar fiberglass case ?

Quote from: dbirchett on August 14, 2007, 11:30:18 PM
Is anyone familiar with the Eastman guitar cases. They appear to be the same case as these.

I've seen several of the Eastman cases, and was, in fact, eager to buy one for one of my own guitars until I got a chance to get my hands on one.

They look like Caltons but are considerably lighter and less protective.  They're a bit too flexible, in my opinion - I could push the lid in pretty easily.  (Try doing that with a Calton case!)

Having said that, I do think they're better protection than the thermoplastic cases Martin provides with a lot of their guitars these days, or at least equivilent.

And they look cool....

But I didn't like them enough to go buying one.

Wade Hampton Miller

I have an Eastman archtop guitar that came in one of these fiberglass cases. They are very light and give decent protection but I don't think they are anything special. The downside is that they don't have an accessory compartment just a velveteen pouch. The case also scratches very easily.

Personally, I think my Larrivee and Taylor cases are much better.
My current lefty Larrivee guitars:
Larrivee Parlor-03MH
Larrivee OMV-03RE
Larrivee DV-03R

Quote from: dbirchett on July 27, 2007, 01:40:21 PM
Has anyone tried the L body in the D case? Larrivee uses the same case for both.

I am unclear on what is meant by this comment.  My Larrivée L-03, purchased in July 2006, came in a L-shaped body case, that fits it like a glove, not in a dreadnought shaped case.    :?
:guitar

2006 Larrivée L-03
2006 Martin Backpacker

"The best things in life aren't things."

Larrivee always used to (perhaps they still do) use the same case for both the L and D body shapes.

L - Larrivee Body
Lower Bout · 16"
Upper Bout · 11.625"
Waist · 10.25"
Depth · 4.75"
Overall Length · 40.75"
Scale Length · 25.5"

D - Dreadnought
Lower Bout · 16"
Upper Bout · 11.875"
Waist · 10.875"
Depth · 5"
Overall Length · 41"
Scale Length · 25.5"
Ron

Quote from: canoe65 on August 28, 2007, 02:17:19 PM
Quote from: dbirchett on July 27, 2007, 01:40:21 PM
Thanks, Steve. That looks to be a great price. Has anyone tried the L body in the D case? Larrivee uses the same case for both.
I am unclear on what is meant by this comment.  My Larrivée L-03, purchased in July 2006, came in a L-shaped body case, that fits it like a glove, not in a dreadnought shaped case.    :?

Larrivee used to use the same case for both the L and D models. Some Dreadnaught guitars (Martin) use different measurements than Larrivee. Since that post, I have answered my own question. It fits either size Larrivee guitar just fine.
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan